branden

branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing
Country flag
Hello, just need your advise.
I purchased Honda civic 2017 just 2 weeks ago. Sadly my windshield got a crack by the stone. The dealer is out of stock for the windshield. The speedyglass in canada ( safelite in usa) is offering me a windshield which is made from same manufacture.
I have few questions about it. How was the glass fit for your safelite one and does all honda sensing feature is working properly? I am so confused about this. The dealer has sub contractor who does the glasswork, I dont trust if they do job properly. The speedyglass techs are more sound , and do i need to re calibrate the honda sensing camera? Please help me I so stressed. All comments are welcome from anybody. Please feel free to write

Thanks
Everything was great from Safelite. No need to recalibrate Honda Sensing, everything worked fine for me after the replacement.

MAKE SURE to have safelite order the rubber strips that go around the windshield from Honda. They are a different shape than the universal rubber strips. Safelite did not order those when they came out the first time and I had to wait another few weeks for them to order the pieces.
Sponsored

Kaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX-T
Everything was great from Safelite. No need to recalibrate Honda Sensing, everything worked fine for me after the replacement.

MAKE SURE to have safelite order the rubber strips that go around the windshield from Honda. They are a different shape than the universal rubber strips. Safelite did not order those when they came out the first time and I had to wait another few weeks for them to order the pieces.
Thanks Branden.. I will tell them

Cookiemonster

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue
2016 Honda Civic Touring windshield cracked. Left for Florida Nov3/2016. Car left sitting out in the middle of 1/2 acre lot far from trees and no kids in neighbourhood. Returned Apr10/2017 and windshield cracked. Honda service manager declared it impact damage without looking at it! $500 deductible on my insurance. It is now May 18 replacement still on backorder at 2 places. No mention of ordering mouldings so I guess reusing previously enjoyed ones. Noticed the crack at 3 inches long now grown to 19 inches. What a nightmare.
I don't think it's possible to replace the glass without installing new moldings. I assume you know but just checking to be sure, glass is covered by your comprehensive coverage, not collision. Most folks carry $250 deductible on comp. Mine is zero on this Touring for the first time in my life. Came in handy when it got a chip that caused it to crack a week later with under 5k miles. There are rare incidents of stress fracture not caused by an object impacting the glass. If you can't detect an impact star or chip, you could push for warranty replacement but chances are there is an impact star or chip at the origin of the crack. Chips can be almost impossible to see with the naked eye. I've had two windshields replaced under warranty since '95. If the star is in a part of the windshield that can be touched from inside and out and you get to a shop before it cracks, it can usually be repaired for around $50 which most insurers will cover.

Warning: When replacing a glass on a Civic with a camera behind the windshield, you must insist on OEM glass or the chances are about 99% the camera can't be recalibrated properly. That's from a Honda Service Advisor.

Cookiemonster

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue
I have my insurance set for a $0 deductible on my comprehensive coverage.Only costs me an extra $16 every 6 months

I had a rock fly p and hit my windshield when i had less than 1000 miles on my coupe in the upper passenger side

Put a small nick in it but no cracks yet.
Better get that nick patched or it could crack when exposed to extreme temps.

jdawhl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic HB
Country flag
My windshield has 5 rock chips in it. So far none have progressed to cracks but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. My passenger window also has a chip in the glass. Seeing how I have never even had a rock chip in the windshield of any of my previous 5 cars, I would venture to say it's a problem with the glass they used.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My windshield has 5 rock chips in it. So far none have progressed to cracks but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. My passenger window also has a chip in the glass. Seeing how I have never even had a rock chip in the windshield of any of my previous 5 cars, I would venture to say it's a problem with the glass they used.
If you haven't already you should check with your insurance carrier. If they are like mine they will gladly fix any and all chips at no expense.

jm33561

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda CR-V EX
Country flag
Heard a rock hit my windshield less than a month after purchase, end of June. Didn't notice any crack until a day later and it was already about 6 inches long. Looked closer and the original impact made a crack down to the bottom edge behind the hood, then up 6 in the middle. That grew all the way up the middle then turned towards the passenger side.

Finally got it replaced today with OEM glass, cost to insurance was $870. Luckily I have full glass coverage so my cost was $0.

Almost had Safelite do the after market glass since the Honda glass didn't hold up well, but the tech said do OEM since my insurance covers it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 20170726_093449_HDR

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Two windshield cracks in 3-4 months for me. I can't wait to sell this car.

yang360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I'm joining this club. A pebble chipped my windshield and i got it repaired that same day. Unfortunately, during a cold morning and hot afternoon, i came to my car to find the windshield cracked near where the repair was made.
Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 20170726_093449_HDR
https://imgur.com/ucfdRaG

Last edited:

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
I included the windshield issues in my four page letter I sent this weekend to Honda of America on what a steaming pile this car is. Other than the windshield, nothing major other than software issues related to the head unit, android auto and sensing. I've mentioned those complaints in several other posts on here.

manfredbadilla

First Name
Manfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 EXTL
Heard a rock hit my windshield less than a month after purchase, end of June. Didn't notice any crack until a day later and it was already about 6 inches long. Looked closer and the original impact made a crack down to the bottom edge behind the hood, then up 6 in the middle. That grew all the way up the middle then turned towards the passenger side.

Finally got it replaced today with OEM glass, cost to insurance was $870. Luckily I have full glass coverage so my cost was $0.

Almost had Safelite do the after market glass since the Honda glass didn't hold up well, but the tech said do OEM since my insurance covers it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield {filename}
Sorry to heard that, I’m in Costa Rica and got hit by a rock in the highway at the moment i didn’t see a crack then park the car at the office as you might notice here’s pretty hot so probably during the day the heat crack the windshield i got a replace OEM windshield in our dealer not cheap tho around $1200 taxes here are crazy expensive, after the replacement i notice something weird, they didn’t apply glue all the way up and the windshield feels kinda a lossy in the right upper corners, wondering if you are having the same situation or i just got a crap wok done.

Thanks

jm33561

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda CR-V EX
Country flag
Two windshield cracks in 3-4 months for me. I can't wait to sell this car.
Just got my second in less than a year. Chip turned into a large crack before I even noticed since it was out of my vision. Looking at another windshield replacement.

tmach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L (and 1988 Fiero GT for the heck of it)
Just got my first crack after two years. Appeared this morning, about 7 inches long on the driver's side. Here's the thing--I had no rock chips or anything of the sort. It just cracked. I thought maybe there was one up close to the body where I just hadn't noticed it, but there doesn't seem to be anything there--just a nice thin crack from the molding, spreading down to just above the driver's field of view. Temps have been all over the place here lately, from two or three degrees a couple of weeks ago to 65 on Saturday to back down in the 20's last night. I'm sure that had something to do with it, but I've never had a windshield just crack without a chip or anything to get it started.

ropil728

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 EX-T
Sorry to heard that, I’m in Costa Rica and got hit by a rock in the highway at the moment i didn’t see a crack then park the car at the office as you might notice here’s pretty hot so probably during the day the heat crack the windshield i got a replace OEM windshield in our dealer not cheap tho around $1200 taxes here are crazy expensive, after the replacement i notice something weird, they didn’t apply glue all the way up and the windshield feels kinda a lossy in the right upper corners, wondering if you are having the same situation or i just got a crap wok done.

Thanks
+1

spirleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Elegance
Country flag
Similar issue 1 week after buying the car. 8 inch crack on lower driver side.
Felt a small pebble impact with no visible damage. Came the second day only to find the windshield cracked.

Had much harder hits on previous cars but no cracks.
Sponsored