Cracked Windshield

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
just got a tiny chip today. talk about unlucky. i drove my 05 civic vp since i got it used in 2007, 9 years without a chip or crack, and this new car gets hit by a tiny piece of rock and it gets chipped.... wtf.
I noticed today on my commute home, that mine is starting to look sand blasted, and I only have 19k miles on it. Holding off on getting mine replaced for now.
Sponsored

jtamase

the.xth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX Hatchback; 2016 Pilot LX
Country flag
is there like a lifehack or can i use a sealant to prevent this from cracking more? the weird thing is that the chip/crack is inside the glass, so it's in between the outside surface and inside surface.

can the sealant reduce the vibrations while i drive?

thanks in advance.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield IMG_3783.JPG

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
is there like a lifehack or can i use a sealant to prevent this from cracking more? the weird thing is that the chip/crack is inside the glass, so it's in between the outside surface and inside surface.

can the sealant reduce the vibrations while i drive?

thanks in advance.

IMG_3783.JPG
If you have full glass coverage on your insurance they will pay to fix that at no cost to you

jtamase

the.xth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you have full glass coverage on your insurance they will pay to fix that at no cost to you
i will look into it. thanks. i dont know if that option is available here in SoCal.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i will look into it. thanks. i dont know if that option is available here in SoCal.
Just look at your insurance policy, it would be very odd if it were not an available option. If you chose to pay for it or not is another story

jtamase

the.xth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just look at your insurance policy, it would be very odd if it were not an available option. If you chose to pay for it or not is another story
I read somewhere that it's a part of the comprehensive option. i am paying that, so i'm covered. (i hope)

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I read somewhere that it's a part of the comprehensive option. i am paying that, so i'm covered. (i hope)
It's part of mine, but not a required part, it can be taken out if I wanted to. But I didn't

crimson-civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BNP 2017 Civic Sedan EX-T
Country flag
I'm in the Bay Area, and I added a $0 deductable for safety glass coverage added to my AAA renewal this year. Apparently, I'm told it was a relatively new offer by AAA and it raised my Comprehensive rate by $80/year per vehicle in my policy.

Sharky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX 2016
Country flag
I got a chip (drivers side) couple of months ago went to Safelite to fix it then now I have a big crack about a foot long (passenger side).

These windshield are very fragile!

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got a chip (drivers side) couple of months ago went to Safelite to fix it then now I have a big crack about a foot long (passenger side).

These windshield are very fragile!
I saw a Honda engineer a coupleasure weeks ago for issues with my car. I pointed out the windshield looking sand blasted and the chips. He said the glass in the Civic is no different than any other car, but suggested perhaps the aerodynamics of the hood was causing it to direct more than typical projectiles at the windshield

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I saw a Honda engineer a coupleasure weeks ago for issues with my car. I pointed out the windshield looking sand blasted and the chips. He said the glass in the Civic is no different than any other car, but suggested perhaps the aerodynamics of the hood was causing it to direct more than typical projectiles at the windshield
That's actually a good point. I personally haven't had any windshield issues or irregularities, but I wouldn't be surprised if something with aero is affecting the "landing point" of any debris on the road.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's actually a good point. I personally haven't had any windshield issues or irregularities, but I wouldn't be surprised if something with aero is affecting the "landing point" of any debris on the road.
Mine got a nasty chip in it the first week I had it, in 19 thousand miles it looks worse than cars I've had with 100K on it. I asked him why they dont sell the hood guard in USA but they do in Canada. He said he was not aware Honda even made one. I told him about this forum and told him I'd seen some canadian owners with the smoke colored bug deflector which also redirects road debris over the roof instead of at the windshield. He said having one of those might change the aerodynamics enough that the windshield doesnt take such a beating.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
I have my insurance set for a $0 deductible on my comprehensive coverage.Only costs me an extra $16 every 6 months

I had a rock fly p and hit my windshield when i had less than 1000 miles on my coupe in the upper passenger side

Put a small nick in it but no cracks yet.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have my insurance set for a $0 deductible on my comprehensive coverage.Only costs me an extra $16 every 6 months

I had a rock fly p and hit my windshield when i had less than 1000 miles on my coupe in the upper passenger side

Put a small nick in it but no cracks yet.
According to the Honda engineer, this may be caused by the aerodynamics of the nose

Pchilnsf415

My civic now has 5400 miles and the windshield looks like a bunch of sand hit it. Also noticed a lot of chips in the paint.
Sponsored