Cracked Windshield

LesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I have read that the 2016 Sedan and the 2017 HB have laminated acoustic glass.
It is 3 layers: 2.0 mm safety glass, 0.7mm PVB, and 1.8 mm safety glass.
Maybe this makes the windshield more fragile.
If mine breaks, I’m going to try to have a regular windshield put in.
Sponsored

Tindaland

First Name
Tin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017
Country flag
Similar issue 1 week after buying the car. 8 inch crack on lower driver side.
Felt a small pebble impact with no visible damage. Came the second day only to find the windshield cracked.

Had much harder hits on previous cars but no cracks.
My Civic 2017 got 1 foot long crack from the passenger bottom corner. It was 5 inches then rapidly expanded to 1 foot. I know I have to replace this. Before I do that I play with it first.
What I did was I drill a small hole to stop the crack from expanding and It worked so far. But I forgot what was the original problem I don't think anything directly hit the glass, might be just because someone closed the door a little rough. Now I think we should blame on Honda. This windshield is so easy to crack. They need to make better windshield glass or pay us a discount for fixing the glass fo no reason.

Wirelezz

First Name
h
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CIVIC SPORT TOURING SG
Country flag
Wish I only had one crack 1200 km brand new civic sport touring . 80 km hour no one in front of me centre lane no bridge ! The loudest bang ever ! Destroyed window by the wiper ! Slid right across the hood after sealing paint and left no marks on hood ! Gonna buy repair kit to hide the few lines running up . And leaving it . If they crack that easy I’ll wait for an other smack

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 9CBDC894-2E4A-4F84-93EE-26129C503E1E

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 7FE48371-598B-41E9-88FD-E31AE3D8449F

SugarberryGA

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. I have a 2016 EX-T sedan with sensing in modern steel. I am very happy with the car so far, but the one issue I'm having is with the windshield cracking. I bought the car in March and had to replace the windshield after 2 days because of a 7" crack on the passenger side from a small chip. I have had this windshield for about a month now and already have another, even bigger, crack that is about a foot long.
tumblr_o7ad3bHeIu1s3sptwo2_1280.jpg

There is a small scrape near the crack, but I've never seen a windshield crack like this from this little damage. I have had cars that are 15+ years old with the original windshield, and none of them take damage like this.
tumblr_o7ad3bHeIu1s3sptwo1_1280.jpg

Safelite would not warranty because of the scrape. Was this really caused by a rock or is it a defect in the glass? Is anyone else having similar problems with their windshields?
I'm so glad that I came across this thread because I thought I was the only one having issues with cracked windshields. I have a 2016 Honda EX sedan. I bought the car in November 2016 and am on my fourth windshield. The first crack mysteriously appeared just a couple of months after I purchased the car (I don't remember being hit by a rock). The crack started in the upper right corner on the passenger side and VERY quickly spread to the center. When I drove the car, I could hear the windshield making a popping noise. I had the windshield replaced and about three months later, I went to get in my car one night after work and there was yet another crack, but this time in the lower right corner on the passenger side (I don't recall a rock hitting the glass). The crack was about 3" long. When I went to get into my car the next morning to go to work, the crack had spread and was 12" long. I took the car the following Saturday to Safelite to have the windshield replaced. They called me later that afternoon to inform me that five minutes after they installed the windshield, it cracked. Sure enough, there was a crack along the upper center edge. The guys at Safelite told me they had never had that happen before. They told me I'd have to wait another week to let the glue dry before they could install a new one. By the time I was able to return to Safelite, the cracked had spread significantly. So, again, I had the windshield replaced. Two days later on my way home from work, the weather stripping on passenger side came loose and started flapping against the car. Safelite came out to my house that weekend, glued in that side and the guy told me he had never seen that happen before. The next day on my way to work, the weather stripping on the driver's side came loose and started flapping in the breeze. I took the car to Safelite and they glued in that side. I was again told they had never seen anything like it.

Needless to say, I am very frustrated with my 2016 Honda Civic and as soon as I'm able, I will be trading it for a Subaru. Hopefully, I won't have anymore windshield woes until then.

jakobm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Today I had my third crack in two years. The first two happened within a month of getting the car (June ‘16).

I posted about it then saying it was a poor quality windshield. Seeing all the other cases two years later confirms it. Very disappointing but I will not be getting another civic. None of the 9 other vehicles I’ve owned have had an issue this obvious and the manufacturer won’t admit it’s a problem.

4DBox

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silver EXT, 2018 Volt
Country flag
Adding my bit: a few weeks ago I ran an errand, parked the car, returned 45 minutes later and there was an 8" crack starting at the bottom going up almost directly in front of the steering wheel directly above the defroster vent. It was a chilly morning, but not cold. There is no evidence of something or someone hitting it while it was parked. I've not seen this in any of my prior cars. Defective glass or glass under stress is my opinion.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
My windshield had to be replaced because of a crack in it, a small piece of stone caused it probably. My insurance allows to use aftermarket windshields only when replaced (by carglass) and I can say the replacement windshield is not so wide as the original was and the peolpe by carglass (at least where I replaced it) don't care about anything. The OEM glass has a minor distortion, but not terrible. The bigger problem is that it doesn't have an anti reflective coating and I always see the top of my dasboard mirrored in it. I'm not happy about the result. But the original glass OMG it crack and breaks soooo easily.

Pavel

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 1.5 turbo touring 2018
Country flag
I have another problem with my windshield
A month after the purchase, I noticed air inside the glass, between the layers.
And it is increasing. Appeared from the second side and along the entire upper face.
I do not know to change it or leave it like that?

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 20180714_080450

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 20190916_182509

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 20190916_182452

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have another problem with my windshield
A month after the purchase, I noticed air inside the glass, between the layers.
And it is increasing. Appeared from the second side and along the entire upper face.
I do not know to change it or leave it like that?

20180714_080450.jpg

20190916_182509.jpg

20190916_182452.jpg
Is that an aftermarket or OEM glass? Either way, though, since it's only been a month should be covered by warranty.

Pavel

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback 1.5 turbo touring 2018
Country flag
This is the original
It started a month after the purchase and is increasing (today the car is 2 years old)

Hatch86

First Name
Steffen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10 Hatchback Elegance
Country flag
My windshield had to be replaced because of a crack in it, a small piece of stone caused it probably. My insurance allows to use aftermarket windshields only when replaced (by carglass) and I can say the replacement windshield is not so wide as the original was and the peolpe by carglass (at least where I replaced it) don't care about anything. The OEM glass has a minor distortion, but not terrible. The bigger problem is that it doesn't have an anti reflective coating and I always see the top of my dasboard mirrored in it. I'm not happy about the result. But the original glass OMG it crack and breaks soooo easily.
Another one from germany ;).

We got our first windshield replaced in october 2019.....

A very small stone hits our windshield right in the centre and instantly a 10" crack appeared....

This glass is so fragile.

Idkmang

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20018 civic lx
Country flag
This is a pretty large issue and it is very expensive to fix. Is honda doing anything about it yet?

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield 20200811_181514

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is a pretty large issue and it is very expensive to fix. Is honda doing anything about it yet?
Expensive to fix? You don‘t even have HondaSensing. :)

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The dealership is about 1k to fix safelite 680 plus labor
What? In the US? I think multiple people got it replaced for around $300 or so (when no HSensing).
Sponsored