Cracked Windshield

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My civic now has 5400 miles and the windshield looks like a bunch of sand hit it. Also noticed a lot of chips in the paint.
I think the Honda Engineers explanation makes the most sense, the nose is very aerodynamic
Sponsored

NeverRage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
After searching for some feedback on this particular issue, I came across the forum and wanted to add a post as well about the windshield. I have had my particular Honda Civic Coupe 2016 EX-T for about 3 months now and I have acquired a crack in my windshield, too.

The thing is that I have no idea how I actually received it. I have had several pebbles and such road debris hit the car before, but I don't think there was anything in the area where the crack has formed.

Additionally, I thought the timeline of seeing it for the first time was strange. I drove the car to my office, didn't touch it, let it be for about 4 hours in the evening, and then getting back in to drive again was when I saw it. It appeared while just sitting in the parking lot. From the photo, the crack is on the side of the windshield by the driver's side and goes across over the stickers in the bottom left while in the driver's seat.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cracked Windshield cracked_windshield.JPG

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recommend to stay off people's butts. Leave yourself a good 100-150ft distance behind a car you follow. The rocks hitting your front comes from the car in front of you. I have 1 chip and it's very very light in 8 months.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A Honda engineer told me the likely cause is because of the aerodynamics of the front of the car. I absolutely believe him. I traded my Civic a month ago for a CRV, not one single chip on my CRV, and my Civic got a chip out of the windshield a week after buying it, a year after buying it, it looked completely sandblasted. This makes a good argument for finding a bug deflector for the hood of your Civic. I know they have them in Canada Honda dealerships. If I'd kept my Civic I definitely would have looked into getting one.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am not so sure the Honda engineer is correct on the aerodynamics point. I really think Honda cuts corners where they think they can get away with it. Poor clear coat quality and thickness I believe to be the cause.

Here is a link to a nice read.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/peeling-paint/

A Honda engineer told me the likely cause is because of the aerodynamics of the front of the car. I absolutely believe him. I traded my Civic a month ago for a CRV, not one single chip on my CRV, and my Civic got a chip out of the windshield a week after buying it, a year after buying it, it looked completely sandblasted. This makes a good argument for finding a bug deflector for the hood of your Civic. I know they have them in Canada Honda dealerships. If I'd kept my Civic I definitely would have looked into getting one.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am not so sure the Honda engineer is correct on the aerodynamics point. I really think Honda cuts corners where they think they can get away with it. Poor clear coat quality and thickness I believe to be the cause.

Here is a link to a nice read.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/peeling-paint/
That doesn't explain why the glass is cracking chipping and pitting. Glass has to meet certain standards, they can't cut corners on that

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would say the quality of glass is lower but good enough to pass safety standards. It's chipping or cracking for a reason but not the aerodynamics as a cause. I think it's another corner that was cut. Think about it. Honda wants their cars to last long enough but not forever.

That doesn't explain why the glass is cracking chipping and pitting. Glass has to meet certain standards, they can't cut corners on that

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would say the quality of glass is lower but good enough to pass safety standards. It's chipping or cracking for a reason but not the aerodynamics as a cause. I think it's another corner that was cut. Think about it. Honda wants their cars to last long enough but not forever.
There is no variations in glass quality legal standard. Either it meets standard or its illegal

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I guess bullet proof glass doesn't really exist. Rock proof? They don't make it. But bullet proof? Yes we can.. lol

Wayner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The windshield in my coupe cracked from a fairly small rock chip on the upper portion of the windshield. It looks like it is around the same spot that killed your windshield too. I could tell that a rock hit mine, but I didn't hear any impact at the time, I only heard a faint cracking sound and looked up to see a cracked forming and growing.

It was a very expensive replacement and I'm looking at changing my insurance for more glass coverage since this may be a common issue with these new civics. I haven't even made my first payment yet and that windshield was far more expensive than the payments that's for sure.

Wayner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
2016 Honda Civic Touring windshield cracked. Left for Florida Nov3/2016. Car left sitting out in the middle of 1/2 acre lot far from trees and no kids in neighbourhood. Returned Apr10/2017 and windshield cracked. Honda service manager declared it impact damage without looking at it! $500 deductible on my insurance. It is now May 18 replacement still on backorder at 2 places. No mention of ordering mouldings so I guess reusing previously enjoyed ones. Noticed the crack at 3 inches long now grown to 19 inches. What a nightmare.

Kaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX-T
I had a small pebble hit my windshield at driving speed of 35 mph. Hit low in front of drivers side. Crack propagated up and halfway across windshield. I am surprised this crack happened from such a small hit. Had windshield replaced by Safelite for approx $850.
Hello, just need your advise.
I purchased Honda civic 2017 just 2 weeks ago. Sadly my windshield got a crack by the stone. The dealer is out of stock for the windshield. The speedyglass in canada ( safelite in usa) is offering me a windshield which is made from same manufacture.
I have few questions about it. How was the glass fit for your safelite one and does all honda sensing feature is working properly? I am so confused about this. The dealer has sub contractor who does the glasswork, I dont trust if they do job properly. The speedyglass techs are more sound , and do i need to re calibrate the honda sensing camera? Please help me I so stressed. All comments are welcome from anybody. Please feel free to write

Thanks

SneakyPete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I have a crack also, but I don't see any impact spot at all. I am wondering if it spontaneously broke. I was driving up my driveway one day at low speeds and I heard this really loud noise. My first thought was that a meteor or possibly a squirrel landed on my car. I looked at the roof and didn't see anything. A few days later my wife got into the passenger seat and said, "Your windshield is cracked". My crack can't be seen from the drivers side because it is occluded by the rear-view mirror. Is it possible the dealer will fix it if it doesn't have any impact marks/chips?
Sponsored