Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, the fact is that according to WHO, "lower respiratory infections" are the third or fourth cause of death in the world, causing around 3 million deaths every year. In low-income countries they are the No 1. cause of death. So, since the beginning of the century, some 50+ million people died of "lower respiratory infections" without big headlines, and all the famous and celebrated pandemics like SARS-COV, MERS-COV, swine flu, ebola, etc. combined were only a tiny fraction of this number.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/the-top-10-causes-of-death

Aaannnnnd we're back. Once again. High acuity and speed of decline is leading to surges that health systems can't keep up with
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Aaannnnnd we're back. Once again. High acuity and speed of decline is leading to surges that health systems can't keep up with
Aaaaannnnd the point I'm making again, is that crashing the economy will not make health systems able to keep up with anything. Countries that have better economies (are richer) have better health systems. Anyone has any doubt about this? :dunno::hmm:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Aaaaannnnd the point I'm making again, is that crashing the economy will not make health systems able to keep up with anything. Countries that have better economies (are richer) have better health systems. Anyone has any doubt about this? :dunno::hmm:
Flattering the curve has been shown to work in the past and is helping now.

The economy is a different topic. I'm not putting a price on human life vs making money. Those countries with better health systems aren't necessarily richer, but their work force most feel a little less insecure knowing they have health care

Didn't something like this happen a hundred years ago? :hmm:
They tried to minimize the disease then too

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on projections, we’ll have lowered our domestic death rate from over 2 million to a couple hundred thousand or less. This will be at the cost of trillions of dollars of course. Worth it? History can be the judge. If this ends up costing 10 trillion dollars worth of lost GDP, change in monetary policy to increase money supply that’ll make inflation severe here eventually and debt but saves 2 million people... then I guess we could put a price of 5 million per person we saved. I know my elderly mom, my wife and kid that have asthma despite being otherwise healthy are worth 5 million to me even if I don’t, and never will, have it to spend(shrug). The dollar numbers are huge... and this thing is going to cause economic damage that’ll be long lasting I don’t thing we think about. Maybe we’ll finally change our spending and tax structure coming out of this in a way to have a surplus budget and pay for all this stuff eventually. I don’t think the stimulus is straight debt though... I’m pretty sure it’s just changing money supply which may well make a loaf of bread cost $5 in another year or two. I think inflation is going to explode.

But so far numbers are concerned; we could absorb 10% of Americans dying. No sweat. Knock 330 million down to around 300 million. We’d make up those numbers in about a decade. When elderly die so they’re aren’t drawing social security... high risk groups that require lifelong medical care that are high risk die so they aren’t a drain on society... I mean, it could be seen as a boon for the economy if we played our cards right. This eugenics/Darwinism view is the other far extreme though... and I think most would agree is not the right way to treat our fellow Americans. Is there a compromise in between? Sure. We’re going to find it as we get back to work in the coming weeks/months and accept we’re going to spike the numbers again somewhat... hopefully at a manageable level.

We were already in an excessively long bull market that was being artificially propped up, but the loss of jobs, income and taxable revenue while the government is shelling out cash like mad is going to be tough. We’ve got a free culture though (at least comparatively) so despite our domestic failure in testing, I do think our numbers are as accurate as we have data for. Between the extreme measures of isolation China took that Americans simply would not have accepted and the very real possibility their numbers are inaccurate to save face (Maybe we’re [not] seeing The Great Chinese Famine, circa 2020?), I do think we’re being pretty transparent and big brother is urging folks to do the right thing by their neighbor, even if that message is mixed at times. It’s whether our free society will quit being selfish and stay put vice go out and party that’ll continue being a key point. Some of the folks in my neighborhood keep having large gatherings like they’re having a hurricane party. :dunno: We’re not doing a very good job of controlling the things we can and I’m afraid we’re going to pay dearly for it in both lives and economically as we do further and further measures that’ll keep business from getting back to normal.

Kind of see both sides of the people vs economy argument. I fear we’re going to lose both badly... and if we pick one over the other... we’ll still lose that one badly, but lose our ass on the other.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Kind of see both sides of the people vs economy argument. I fear we’re going to lose both badly... and if we pick one over the other... we’ll still lose that one badly, but lose our ass on the other.

That's the rub right there. The economy is driven on faith, and as long as the doom and gloom is focused on instead of figuring out how we come out of this ahead, it'll be self fulfilling

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Did you guys happen to check the shipping cost for that 4 pack? Holy shit.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

stevessvt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Modern Steel Metallic Civic Si
Country flag
I think they’re trying to shock you in to shitting yourself and then you have to buy their toilet paper!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I added three packs of that toilet paper to my cart and calculated the price including shipping to Maryland... $36 bucks.

Now let's put that in perspective. 2,400 sheets for $36. I recently bought a 12 pack of Scott (12,000 sheets) for $8.

I get it. People are desperate. But this is a really shitty price.

Last edited:

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I added three packs of that toilet paper to my cart and calculated the price including shipping to Maryland... $36 bucks.

Now let's put that in perspective. 2,400 sheets for $36. I recently bought a 12 pack of Scott (12,000 sheets) for $8.

I get it. People are desperate. But this is a really shitty price.
I see what you did there

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I’m stuck on the cancer and reproductive harm warning. Is that just a default for their website?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The economy is a different topic. I'm not putting a price on human life vs making money.
It's a false alternative and wrong perception. The economy is human life, not just making money. But making money is obviously necessary to be alive too. Collapsing economy may cost more human lives (literally) than what any virus can do. My own and my family's lives are definitely threatened more by economic decay than this or that virus.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The economy is human life,

That's exactly right. They are tied together

And how much worse will the economy get by not taking measures to mitigate it's rapid growth?

We still have to have to to care for people without covid. People aren't going to stop having heart attacks or car accidents (although proper stay at home adherence would cut down on this)

How many more lives will be lost trying to rush back into saving the economy?

The damage is already done. Prematurely trying to get back to business before this is handled is only going to prolong it

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1906625/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...adelphia-treated-1918-flu-pandemic-2020-4?amp
Sponsored

Last edited: