Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just started it for the 1st time in 3 weeks yesterday. No issues, batteries shouldn't be dying in weeks they sit on car lots in some cases many months without starting, and still remain charged. So not sure what issues anyone should be having.
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm teleworking now, so it had been 3 weeks since I've driven my sweet little Hatch Sport. The other day, I took her around the block (and then some) and my wife thought I was crazy for driving when I have nowhere to go...just for the fun of it. She doesn't get it. Never has, never will.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm teleworking now, so it had been 3 weeks since I've driven my sweet little Hatch Sport. The other day, I took her around the block (and then some) and my wife thought I was crazy for driving when I have nowhere to go...just for the fun of it. She doesn't get it. Never has, never will.
Mine goes on rides with me sometimes but I can't drive like I want to because she doesn't get the "fun" in driving either. So I can definitely relate!

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
mine has died in the garage once due to sitting for two weeks. And I left the dashcam on. '19 hatch.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
I am on total lockdown. Only essential trips are allowed. Since the wife has groceries delivered, there is no need for me to go out. I live in a condo building with no outlets in the garage so a battery trickle charger is out of the question. We are not allowed to idle the car for more than two minutes too.

So on the first day, I disconnected the negative terminal from the battery. I have an Ancel battery tester.

https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-BA101-...ds=an01+battery+tester&qid=1586213392&sr=8-19

I use it to determine the state of charge. In 3 weeks, with the batteries disconnected, charge has gone down one or two percent.

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Not in three weeks but I was laid up after heart surgery in 2017 and didn’t start my Si for about 3 months and the battery was basically dead. Jump started and it recharged Ok. It certainly isn’t silly to run your car A little every few weeks if you’re not using it.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
I drive around (not highway) for around 20mins every Saturday. Battery and aircon still seems fine.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Why can't we disconnect the negative lead from our car batteries if we're really not going to drive them for a few weeks?

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I was away for a month, in the Philippines my brother just started her up using the remote. So after 10 ten minutes it shuts off.

He didn't wanna drive it.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
When I was away for a month, in the Philippines my brother just started her up using the remote. So after 10 ten minutes it shuts off.

He didn't wanna drive it.
I hope only once a week at maximum - That's a perfect way to build up a substantial amount of oil dilution.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm trying to stop the the Wuhan virus from killing the battery in my CR-V. It's a Honda OEM 31500-SR1-100M, same group 51R as the civic and I want to see how long it can last. It was installed in November 2013, so by Easter it will be 6 years and 5 months since then. Wife has been working from home and when I took the CR-V for a ride after a little over one week of sitting in the garage, the starting was a bit anemic. So I put it on Battery Tender. :love:

She's a classic
Perfect in every way
One of a kind
Now that's what my daddy would say

"Hang on to her, boy
With all your might
She's got so much to give
If you treat her right

"In a world where things are changing fast
Ain't too many things that are made to last
Hang on to her, boy
They don't make them like that anymore"

She's a beauty
The kind you don't see every day
Yeah, she's timeless
Well, that's what my daddy would say

Ivx7PAnPL_aP2gNZ8OAN5zoa6_ygUrb8xKFEB2Z6eLSl0RkVkBG_-hMxyqLQ?width=1024&height=768&cropmode=none.jpg
I'm sorry to confirm that the famous and celebrated Wuhan coronawirus killed my wonderful CRV battery. Today it failed to start after being charged and driven just several days ago. So after it was dead today I put it again on my 3A Battery Tender and it again reported full voltage after only about half an hour. This means to me that it's as good as dead, although just after charging it started the engine and wife went to the store (and came back).

Well, this battery lived 6.5 years in the car, so in human years it's like 90. If it was driven normally, I'm sure it would survive the summer, so it definitely died of COVID-19.:drool:

Btw. I drive my civic almost as usual, so I'll not let its battery catch the virus.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Why can't we disconnect the negative lead from our car batteries if we're really not going to drive them for a few weeks?
Any response?
I still haven't driven my car in about two weeks though so I should drive it today.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
Lol I actually made a video on YouTube about starting my Honda Civic up the first time in 2 weeks (The video title does say about a project car but ignore that and skip to 1:01 to see it and the cold start). I didn't get it on video but the brakes or whatever did jam up against the disc so it felt weird and made a weird noise but it obvs went back to normal

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Any response?
I still haven't driven my car in about two weeks though so I should drive it today.
I posted my experience with disconnecting the negative terminal in post #35 above. It works for me.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Any response?
I will never just disconnect the battery, because I don't want to lose any settings and memory. Too much trouble. Much easier to connect an intelligent charger, which can stay connected and will maintain the battery forever. Of course, this may not be an option if the car is parked on the street.

If the car only takes 20 mA to support the alarm and keyless entry receivers (which I expect may be the low side) then together with auto-discharge it may easily lose about 10% of the new civic 51R battery charge per week. So in three weeks a new battery (if it even was initially fully charged) will be at about 2/3 of full charge. This may be perfectly enough to start the car, and the happy owner will not see any problem. But if the battery is not young, and maybe it was not fully charged, and already had a reduced capacity, and maybe its self-discharge was faster, 3 weeks may drop the charge so low that not only it won't start the car, but also will become terminally damaged.

So like with the virus, a young and healthy battery is not likely to be seriously affected by 3 or even 4 weeks of not running the car, but an older battery may easily just die.

Btw, if someone decided to disconnect the battery who has a mA meter, I would be curious how much current the car draws when asleep. But measuring this may not be as simple as it seems.
Sponsored

Last edited: