Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have one of those battery booster things. Those aren't the same as a trickle charger are they?
Sponsored

OP
OP

No_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
Well, It must be an ongoing problem.
Honda just sent the update below to me via EMail (service promotion) on 8 jul 2020.

My thoughts
It simply is not appropriate for a car manufacturer to suggest to retired seniors in "Stay Safe - Stay at Home" mode that is inappropriate use of the car. I looked at the sales brochures and window stickers. Nowhere did I see "not appropriate as a local commuter vehicle".
Going for trips of less than 5 minutes to pick up medications, groceries or cat food is unfortunately what the car gets during this time frame.

Honda's Communication
Your Honda needs this important checkup.

We want your Honda in top shape after it's been parked for a long time.

Even if it hasn’t traveled much due to COVID-19, the computers inside your Honda haven’t stopped. They store the data that helps create a smooth ride anytime you drive.

Those computers draw some power. A little power over time adds up to enough of a drain that your car may not start when you do eventually push the start button. And if you’re taking the car for short, 5-minute drives to recharge it, you may actually be depleting your battery further.

Every start pushes a weak battery closer to failing, which can lead to worse problems:
  • Unusual engine idling behavior
  • Strange transmission shifting
  • Loss of any driver-based settings
We’re offering a complimentary battery analysis.
Schedule yours now, and if your vehicle needs a new battery, we have Honda Genuine batteries made precisely to give you the best performance.

Last edited:
OP
OP

No_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
I will schedule their battery complementary checkup with the annual oil change.
Annual, yes. Due to lock down it only has about 400 miles put on it since Oct 2019 oils service.
I have increased it to being driven about 5 days a month.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
That email is to get people to come in to dealerships and take care of their vehicle (if needed). They are addressing this to everyone regardless of personal characteristics.
Stick to vehicle related topics on Car Forums and post all of the other topics on other social media. They would be better heard there.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I've been actually driving more than usual during the last months, so not my problem, but I feel the pain of the people who live in less happy locations.

Honda is just trying to sell batteries. I went to the dealership today in relation to my AC being kaputt after 14 kmiles :doh::thumbsdown: :rofl: and saw a big banner displayed prominently there about "genuine Honda batteries." Batteries must be an important income generator for Honda.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I've been actually driving more than usual during the last months, so not my problem, but I feel the pain of the people who live in less happy locations.

Honda is just trying to sell batteries. I went to the dealership today in relation to my AC being kaputt after 14 kmiles :doh::thumbsdown: :rofl: and saw a big banner displayed prominently there about "genuine Honda batteries." Batteries must be an important income generator for Honda.

I agree, Honda want to sell something to you cat may not need.

OP
OP

No_One

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
@Hollywoo0220 suggests
"Stick to vehicle related topics on Car Forums and post all of the other topics on other social media. They would be better heard there."

RJ, This is a very appropriate post for this Forum.
It points out a weakness in the design of the electrical system of the 2018 Honda CivicX, where the capacity of the battery causes the vehicle to be unavailable.

I have no reason to believe as you suggest, that this email was addressed to everyone (or all 10th Gen owners).
It is a slight possibility. This is a recurring problem for multiple owners, yet it is more likely a targeted audience based on vehicle use characteristics.

Honda has the service records for this vehicle. They have data recorded that shows that it was brought in twice due to failed battery. Those failures occurred prior to 1 March 2020 (prior to coronavirus lockdowns of early 2020).

Honda service records also includes data that this vehicle has been used since new as very low mileage versus most of their other sold vehicles. I would not make an assumption that Honda would not use data mining to send selected communications to owners of vehicles where usage characteristics are more likely to cause the vehicle to suffer the failure.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Chalk me up as another battery victim. 2yr old car, dead battery. Spent $10 extra bucks at Wally's and got the 5 year battery instead of the 3. Don't wanna mess with this again for a while. Oh, and my A/C is blowing warm air too. Nice Honda quality....

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Chalk me up as another battery victim. 2yr old car, dead battery. Spent $10 extra bucks at Wally's and got the 5 year battery instead of the 3. Don't wanna mess with this again for a while. Oh, and my A/C is blowing warm air too. Nice Honda quality....
A dealership would replace your battery for free if you’re still in a bumper to bumper still. Batteries are supposed to last 5 years.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Well, It must be an ongoing problem.
Honda just sent the update below to me via EMail (service promotion) on 8 jul 2020.

My thoughts
It simply is not appropriate for a car manufacturer to suggest to retired seniors in "Stay Safe - Stay at Home" mode that is inappropriate use of the car. I looked at the sales brochures and window stickers. Nowhere did I see "not appropriate as a local commuter vehicle".
Going for trips of less than 5 minutes to pick up medications, groceries or cat food is unfortunately what the car gets during this time frame.

Honda's Communication
Your Honda needs this important checkup.

We want your Honda in top shape after it's been parked for a long time.

Even if it hasn’t traveled much due to COVID-19, the computers inside your Honda haven’t stopped. They store the data that helps create a smooth ride anytime you drive.

Those computers draw some power. A little power over time adds up to enough of a drain that your car may not start when you do eventually push the start button. And if you’re taking the car for short, 5-minute drives to recharge it, you may actually be depleting your battery further.

Every start pushes a weak battery closer to failing, which can lead to worse problems:
  • Unusual engine idling behavior
  • Strange transmission shifting
  • Loss of any driver-based settings
We’re offering a complimentary battery analysis.
Schedule yours now, and if your vehicle needs a new battery, we have Honda Genuine batteries made precisely to give you the best performance.

This isn't specific to Honda. Any modern car driven only occasionally and for very short trips where the battery doesn't have enough time to fully recharge is going to suffer the same fate. Sure, some might be more susceptible than others due to battery quality and size.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
At least once a week I use the car to go grocery shopping. Going to the P.O. to mail a letter is a good excuse for a drive. Sometimes I just take the car out to go for a ride & get out of the house.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
So you have a vehicle and the battery may be losing its luster.
So you have paint that chips.
So you have an A/C problem.
Whatever the issue or problem is there are warranties that cover them. If the warranty is out of tolerance, then maintenance is up to you.
Choose a vehicle that you are 100% satisfied with. Do your research. Be absolutely positive about that decision.
The best voice to express with disatisfaction is discontinuing with that brand.

Also, marketing applies to everything you purchase - online, at a store, etc. Marketing doesn't care about the conditions of the world. If you get an email "Advertising" something that you will need to purchase and it doesn't apply to you - Take it with a grain of salt and either do it, ignore it, or delete it. Oh my goodness.....that is so easy for the sane to do.

Furthermore, a battery can last much much longer if it remains healthy. The time between recharges will determine its fate. Environment plays a factor as well; to include - starting the vehicle with accessories on.

We all have problems with vehicles.

jsharon

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BRZ Limited 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I drove my car every day during COVID. Got in the car took it on a hour drive and got back home without seeing a single soul. Don't have to worry about getting gas at a station since I'm rural and I got my gas directly in tanks on my property. I also drove my car since I need a new battery and the car will be dead after 3 days if I don't drive it...
Sponsored