First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if anyone has noticed but traffic on surface streets and highways have significantly sped up in the following weeks since Covid-19 and stay at home measure have taken effect. I usually drive 5-7 miles over the limit but people in all types of cars and trucks are blowing past me like I was stopped. The last few times on the highway, I went with the flow of traffic and I was easily 15-20 mph over. I know with more open roads and less traffic and people with pent up feelings about the pandemic are hitting the roads and going really fast. I rarely see cops pulling people over - maybe a fear of getting exposed. I have seen more wrecks which appear worse, too, and that makes sense if people are going faster. It's just crazy.

Any y'all notice similar higher speeds on the roads?
My wife works for our local sheriffs office and the officers here were told not to make any unnecessary stops, that they will let people go if they are not excessively speeding. 10 to 15 mph over is about what they are letting go.
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Average speed is definitely way up. About 2 weeks ago - the last longer interstate drive I did towards DC - I was in a slower pack going 70 in a 55 in a notoriously highly policed area. Got passed by everyone, including a number doing well over 100, one guy in a 1.5T Accord was easily doing close to 120. I'd like to think these people wouldn't usually risk jail time (generally happens above 90 in VA), but hey, I guess now none of that matters.

Also seen a few people running red lights. Oddly, with turn signals though. Gotta be careful when you run reds. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Average speed is definitely way up. About 2 weeks ago - the last longer interstate drive I did towards DC - I was in a slower pack going 70 in a 55 in a notoriously highly policed area. Got passed by everyone, including a number doing well over 100, one guy in a 1.5T Accord was easily doing close to 120. I'd like to think these people wouldn't usually risk jail time (generally happens above 90 in VA), but hey, I guess now none of that matters.

Also seen a few people running red lights. Oddly, with turn signals though. Gotta be careful when you run reds. :rolleyes:
Going faster on interstates is one thing but running traffic lights? That's really stupid.

AJ28

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2017
Country flag
Definitely is! Being in Los Angeles, CA it is traffic the whole day and none after midnight. Since lockdown and stay at home orders have been announced it's heaven for us CA drivers because we rarely get over 10 mph in rush hour lol

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Going faster on interstates is one thing but running traffic lights? That's really stupid.
I just chuckled and shook my head, as the light turned green a full 3 seconds later.

Lots of stupidity on the roads lately.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The crazy thing about where I live (Baltimore County, Maryland) is that traffic can still be fairly heavy at times. Going to work at 5:30 this morning all three lanes of the highway I travel were congested. Definitely a lot of folks here disobeying the stay at home order.
It's probably people who have to keep working -- warehousing, grocery stocking, foodservice, government agencies without telework abilities, etc.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
This has nothing to do with speeding but since they have this lock down after certain hours I work all sorts of odd hours as I was coming home from work at one o’clock in the morning few days ago
as i stop at a intersection a police cruiser was next to me. I could clearly see a group of teenagers with their cars and walking around in a Walgreens parking lot ( Walgreens is closed at this time) when the light changed the cop continued on not stopping or seeing what they were up to and if I saw them in the parking lot he definitely saw them as well:dunno:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As I was leaving work at 9:00 pm on 41 nobody on the highway the speed limit is 65 mph I was doing 70 as I was driving headlights was coming up on me pretty fast as the vehicle passes me probably doing 100 mph it said Florida State sheriffs department no flashing lights or siren
Wife probably found his stash.

sitsinchairs

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
They definitely will rag their cars out without any sirens or lights these days.
Our Sheriff's cars record every time the lights and sirens are engaged (so they have to have an explanation if asked). I'd guess they do a lot of speeding lights/sirens off.

Stupefyer

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can confirm in SoCal. Speed limit is 65 on the freeways but it is the norm to go around +10 to whatever the speed limit is here in CA. I normally go around 70-75 and I have noticed people have been zooming past me.

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It seems like local DOT peeps are starting to notice...

Honda Civic 10th gen Covid-19 effect: speeding Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 10.47.29 AM

Tags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Audi A3 Quattro, 2020 Volkswagen Tiguan
Country flag
Seeing an increase both in freeway cruising speeds and general assholery.
Sponsored