Covid-19 effect: speeding

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if anyone has noticed but traffic on surface streets and highways have significantly sped up in the following weeks since Covid-19 and stay at home measure have taken effect. I usually drive 5-7 miles over the limit but people in all types of cars and trucks are blowing past me like I was stopped. The last few times on the highway, I went with the flow of traffic and I was easily 15-20 mph over. I know with more open roads and less traffic and people with pent up feelings about the pandemic are hitting the roads and going really fast. I rarely see cops pulling people over - maybe a fear of getting exposed. I have seen more wrecks which appear worse, too, and that makes sense if people are going faster. It's just crazy.

Any y'all notice similar higher speeds on the roads?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely. I'm one of the unlucky few that still has to go to work. The highway I normally drive on is marked 60 mph. These days most are doing 80-85 mph+. Sometimes, I'lI keep pace at 80 and groups of cars are zooming by doing 90+. I think it's exactly what you said. Open roads, pent up feelings and apparently, less police presence. I was going to mention this same phenomenon but you beat me to it. It's definitely "a thing".

Last edited:

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I too still have to go to work. i work at an auto body shop. I can tell you that accidents are wayyyy down. Just goes to show, sometimes its not the speed or anything, its the amount of people on the road, plus the stupidity. Funny how we can all speed and get where we need to with less accidents happening.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely. It's even worse being in a tourist town that isn't a hot spot for infection. TONS of out of state people that I'm guessing are fleeing. I'm looking at you NY, New Jersey, Ohio, and Florida people crossing 4 lanes to your exit. It's like living in Ft Lauderdale all over again

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too still have to go to work. i work at an auto body shop. I can tell you that accidents are wayyyy down. Just goes to show, sometimes its not the speed or anything, its the amount of people on the road, plus the stupidity. Funny how we can all speed and get where we need to with less accidents happening.
Maybe fewer accidents but the last two I saw reported on the interstate were gnarly - and I can only assume it was due to higher speed.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yea I don’t believe cops are too interested in pulling over every person speeding at a time like this. I know a cop whose whole family got quarantined because someone he pulled over/arrested tested positive. I believe it is also much harder to deal with arrests. I’d imagine anyone arrested would need to be tested and quarantined before being put into a jail system where they could infect all inmates. I only just stopped working but I was loving the open road speedy drives to work. @86salmon i grew up in ft Lauderdale I can’t imagine what those people are driving like now

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The roads have become like an autobahn now, no one seems to care how fast they are going. It's also surprising how many cars there are on the road considering there is a stay at home order. I myself like to go out on drives to warm up our vehicles and also get some fresh air and such so i'm always surprised when I see there is a decent amount of traffic on the streets in spite of businesses and a lot of workplaces being closed.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Yea I don’t believe cops are too interested in pulling over every person speeding at a time like this. I know a cop whose whole family got quarantined because someone he pulled over/arrested tested positive. I believe it is also much harder to deal with arrests. I’d imagine anyone arrested would need to be tested and quarantined before being put into a jail system where they could infect all inmates. I only just stopped working but I was loving the open road speedy drives to work. @86salmon i grew up in ft Lauderdale I can’t imagine what those people are driving like now
I work right off 41 and the stretch between fort Myers and Punta Gorda is literally a speedway even more so now. I see a lot more flipped over trucks now

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Not sure if anyone has noticed but traffic on surface streets and highways have significantly sped up in the following weeks since Covid-19 and stay at home measure have taken effect. I usually drive 5-7 miles over the limit but people in all types of cars and trucks are blowing past me like I was stopped. The last few times on the highway, I went with the flow of traffic and I was easily 15-20 mph over. I know with more open roads and less traffic and people with pent up feelings about the pandemic are hitting the roads and going really fast. I rarely see cops pulling people over - maybe a fear of getting exposed. I have seen more wrecks which appear worse, too, and that makes sense if people are going faster. It's just crazy.

Any y'all notice similar higher speeds on the roads?
Just to show what you’re talking about on a Saturday afternoon at this time this bridge would have a lot of traffic now when everyone is home this is now a speed way

Honda Civic 10th gen Covid-19 effect: speeding B6E3CE12-F7A4-4CF1-B1AF-52F969B7B6C0

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I work right off 41 and the stretch between fort Myers and Punta Gorda is literally a speedway even more so now. I see a lot more flipped over trucks now
I miss the Icehouse in Punta Gorda. Would go there a lot to get away from the island

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Normally it takes me an hour and about 20 to 25 minutes to get home. Consistently getting home in less than an hour and 10 minutes. I think one day I averaged 90mph on my drive home from work... 78 miles. I think it was an hour and 2 minutes. Sheer insanity if you ask me...

Also, I'm only doing this when others are. This car is too flashy to be at the front of the pack while speeding. This isn't even me being like "oh no way man I don't do that", this is 100% honesty. Usually I cruise control at 73. So I think we are on to something, everyone is driving faster during this pandemic, and then piggybacking off each other to keep it going. And I'm not going to complain about getting home 15 minutes earlier on my long-as-hell drive so let's keep it up... :drive:

OP
OP
silverrascal

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Normally it takes me an hour and about 20 to 25 minutes to get home. Consistently getting home in less than an hour and 10 minutes. I think one day I averaged 90mph on my drive home from work... 78 miles. I think it was an hour and 2 minutes. Sheer insanity if you ask me...

Also, I'm only doing this when others are. This car is too flashy to be at the front of the pack while speeding. This isn't even me being like "oh no way man I don't do that", this is 100% honesty. Usually I cruise control at 73. So I think we are on to something, everyone is driving faster during this pandemic, and then piggybacking off each other to keep it going. And I'm not going to complain about getting home 15 minutes earlier on my long-as-hell drive so let's keep it up... :drive:

I hear ya about getting home sooner. And that's cool if everyone is going faster but RESPONSIBLY like with Autobahn ettiquette: Pass only on left side, speed only when traffic allows for it, NO TAILGATING, move over for fast approaching cars, no cutting off cars, etc.

My issue is everyone still drives like ass but now they're going faster and making it more dangerous in certain circumstances.

Personally, my philosophy is just to go with the flow of traffic and fight off the temptation of Fast and Furious. lol

Sty09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
They weren't pulling people over for speeding here before this happened either.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Considering that most interstate highways in the USA aren't designed to be driven any faster than 75 mph -- how much banking is in the curves, their minimum radius, etc -- I don't think it's a good idea to be going over 80, not even with modern radial tires and better aero with less lift.

But feel like I've heard motorcycle groups and modded cars on the nearby highway more often than before. Could be the spring weather, but the traffic is obviously a lot less busy, too.
Sponsored