Couple of questions for guys who traded in Si for Type R

Jake Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2017 CR-V AWD Touring
Country flag
There is no universe in which a Type R is the best financial decision. You only get one because you want one - that's it. I had <$9K left on my '17 SI, and my monthly payment was insanely low. I don't regret upgrading for a second though. I had the money for the R, it didn't impact my overall savings, and there's always the possibility that tomorrow I might drop dead. If that should happen, knowing that I got to own and drive the hell put of the car I really wanted means I'll have one less regret.
I couldnā€™t agree more. I gave my dealer my Si for my lease payoff which was about $1k less than kbb. But, it was keyed on 3 panels; my insurance should cover that. I paid $1k over for the R, though he covered the transport ~250 miles, trading for the color I wanted. He says that would be $300, and heā€™s a buddy, so I donā€™t think itā€™s too exaggerated. So I gave him $700. He negotiated that with his management, having recently had a guy walk in and pay $9,000 over MSRP. I donā€™t doubt there are other such guys in line behind him here in the Bay Area, so I hated it, but I paid the $700, and having driven the car, I donā€™t regret it for a second.

I got a loan via B of A for 3.49% for 72 months, paying $595/mo. Financed $38,500, put $3,000 down (cover tax, lic., etc.). I was leasing the ā€˜17 Si for $400/mo, $1,500 down. I got one of the first in the area and Honda didnā€™t have any incentives. (My ā€˜13 was only $250/mo, nothing down; insane lease special from Honda.)

The bottom line is, as davemarco said, itā€™s not going to be a good financial decision; you should expect to budget about $100/mo for new tires once a year, and it gets worse mileage. One canā€™t justify it on ā€œgood senseā€ vs. the Si, which is a really good car. I was on the fence for a long time, wondering if it would really, be ā€œbetter enoughā€ to be worth the cost. It is so worth it. I finally feel a sense of, ahhh; this is the handling performance Iā€™ve been searching for! ā€œIf you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.ā€
Sponsored

Last edited:

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I settled for 19,8xx trade for my 17 si coupe with < 5k miles. Did not get the r for MSRP but was forced into accessories though I like the accessories. I think my rate is 3.4% or so. Not the best deal but I'm happy with the car and what I paid and that's all that matters. If I wanted to get a good deal, I wouldn't have bought the r. It's not a frugal decision but rather purely emotional instead and that's ok with me. I'll play bean counter elsewhere.

OP
OP

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for all the advice I really do appreciate it, decisions decisions.

baker67

First Name
Benoit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi guys,
Iā€™m Canadian and I had a 2015 Civic Si sedan with 46,000 kilometers on it and my dealer gave me $22,500 without seeing the car!!! He never got out of his office before we signed the paperwork.
I had a 0.9% rate on the Si but iā€™m At 4.9% with my Type R but loving it anyway.
Back in 2015 I paid $28,000 for the Si and got the Type R last year on April 29 2018 for $41,500 and since I decided to get my daughter a car to ease mine I only traveled 9500 k/mh since getting it.

theDUOCsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x
I got the R for MSRP and was offered 19.5 for the 17' Si Coupe with ~19k miles. I could have gotten a little more but the tax benefit was worth the trade-in and the dealer offered to swap all aftermarket parts for me and put on the OEM... the time saved was worth it for me, especially in this weather!

AMA-10gen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW, 2015 GMC sierra 2500 HD denali Duramax, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Turbo charged Sidewinder Banks
Country flag
I traded my 2018 SI for a new 2019 CTR, the trade for the SI I received $20,500 in trade for it and I got the CTR for $37,600 out the door

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I got the R for MSRP and was offered 19.5 for the 17' Si Coupe with ~19k miles. I could have gotten a little more but the tax benefit was worth the trade-in and the dealer offered to swap all aftermarket parts for me and put on the OEM... the time saved was worth it for me, especially in this weather!
That's a great deal with the parts swap. I got a similar deal but had to spend an entire weekend removing all of my bolt-ons. It sucked.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I traded in my 17 Si and got with 20,000+ miles and got $20,000+ for it.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I traded my 2018 SI for a new 2019 CTR, the trade for the SI I received $20,500 in trade for it and I got the CTR for $37,600 out the door
I assume the Type R didn't come with any accessories?
Sponsored