First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bit of a strange topic, but I've never seen it discussed in detail so here goes:

As coupe owners may know, the two door version of the Civic isn't sold outside of North America - for something from a Japanese automaker, it's about as American of a car as you could get. Because of this, there exists a very limited aftermarket, since Japanese and Chinese companies don't have access or initiative to make any.

I stumbled across this video on YouTube -

It was really interesting to see how Japanese people see the Civic SI and Coupe models are foreign, USDM models - sort of reflecting how we saw the Type R and Skyline GT-R as exclusive JDM cars before they were available to us (the coupe being a much smaller deal, of course). To them and the rest of the world, the Civic is basically marketed as a luxurious sedan or sporty hatchback only.

(The Japanese sedan looks like this - retaining the chrome grille accent from before the 2019 refresh.)
Honda Civic 10th gen Coupe's Placement in the Lineup aka the most USDM Civic pic_main_01_pc

Source: https://www.honda.co.jp/CIVICSEDAN/

On another note, the Civic in China is also pretty interesting - only the sedan? is avaliable, and it can be had in the neon green/yellow paint exclusive to the coupe in NA. It also has side skirts that resemble those of the Sport and Sport touring hatchbacks - I'd love to see sedans and coupes follow suit here in the US.

Honda Civic 10th gen Coupe's Placement in the Lineup aka the most USDM Civic car_1

Source: http://www.civic.com.cn/

Overall, it was just interesting seeing how the Civic differs from market to market. I just wish there was more aftermarket parts for the coupe, SI or not!

What are your thoughts on this?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Around the world, hatchbacks, sedans, small trucks and SUV's probably make up 99% of vehicle sales. They just are viewed as more functional than a coupe. Not saying the Civic Coupe isnt practical (it is). It's just a very small niche these days. One of the cool things about driving a coupe is that you won't find your twin out there on the road very often. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
a coupe is that you won't find your twin out there on the road very often. :thumbsup:
True. But I have noticed since Honda came out with the sport model sedan and coupe I’ve seen more sport coupes than SI and EX turbo coupes which is funny because most people that want a coupe usually want a high output engine :headbang:

Jeffers

First Name
Jeffers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe purchased on 11-24-19
Country flag
"As coupe owners may know, the two door version of the Civic isn't sold outside of North America "

That's so interesting!
I had no idea. But looking back, looking for badges, they seemed to ignore the coupe existed.
Thanks,

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
I knew this simply from trying to buy aftermarket tail lights for my coupe (they don't exist yet). Most cosmetic pieces are for the sedans. It does make sense, as coupes are not really practical as a family car or for cargo hauling. However, due to the absence of any competitors in the compact coupe market, it must sell enough to stay afloat.
Sponsored