First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I stand corrected. 3:1, not 2:1.
There will be an eventual death of the coupe as they are not producing the coupe for some markets, the most notable would be in Japan itself.
Sponsored

TheComebackKid

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MSM Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I chose the sedan because I have a 3 year old and a car seat in a coupe is a bit of a pain in the butt. I have always had a sedan as I like the look of a sedan better than a coupe.
I'm not a huge fan of the fake vents on the rear bumper of the sedan though and I do prefer the coupe's rear bumper and spoiler.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sport coupe vs family sedan. I don't need practicality at all so I went with the sporty look for my Si, and it has some front and rear differences from most other trim levels to tie it all together nicely. I did my Si test drive in a sedan, looks good, but not as good to me.

YoshiExcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I needed a sedan since I have a 4 year old which I need to put in the back seat, but went with the coupe because it was the only used one on the lot and I got a decent deal on it. I do kind of regret it as I am already seeing how much of a pain it is to get this kid in and out of the car.

On a positive note, the coupe looks way better than the sedan imo. I personally love the spoiler.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic, 2003 F-150
This is a great thread (and a great forum). Lots of good insight without a lot of negativity. Just some observations:

I've zero evidence to back this up, it is based on anecdotal observations, conversations, car forums, etc, but it seems that maybe Baby Boomers (born roughly 1946 – 1964) and Gen Xers (born roughly 1965 - 1981) still have a fondness for coupes that is dying off in the Millennials (born roughly 1982 to 1999) as the stigma of a four door car being an old person's car is fading from memory as sedans have become dominant.

For years, I've felt that the vast majority of Civics I see on the road are four door, but paradoxically, it seemed also that when limiting it to the Si trim level, that it reverses, and there are significantly more Si coupes out there than there are Si sedans.

Soooo... since cars.com makes it really easy to filter what is listed for sale at any given time on their site, thus providing a decent approximation for total sales as it is a large sample size (didn't limit range from ZIP code so as to provide all listed Civics on the site*), I ran some queries, and sure enough.... in EX trim level, there is nearly a 10 to 1 ratio in favor of sedans. However, when limiting it to the Si trim level, the ratio reverses, though not nearly as drastic of a ratio, there are about 2 Si Coupes for every 1 Si sedan in new inventory, and smaller, but still significant ratio in favor of coupes when the query was expanded to include used and new inventory.

* Yes, I know this is a limited sample, and there are many variables at play such as dealer participation on that site, the fact that the cars sampled are for sale (thus not registered/sold), etc, but it is a large sample size none the less.

Results of four cars.com searches conducted 2018-05-31:

query 1 criteria:
Trim: Si
New/Used: New
Year Range (auto selected) 2017 to 2018
Distance: Any

Coupe: 1,222
Sedan: 621

query 2 criteria:
Trim: Si
New/Used: All
Year Range (auto selected) 1993 to 2018

Coupe: 1,816
Hatchback: 36
Sedan: 1,221

query 3 criteria:
Trim: EX (all variants of EX)
New/Used: New
Year Range (auto selected) 2016 to 2018

Coupe: 1,035
Hatchback: 2,710
Sedan: 10,726

query 4 criteria:
Trim: EX (all variants of EX)
New/Used: All
Year Range (auto selected) 1993 to 2018

Coupe: 2,365
Hatchback: 2,951
Sedan: 16,362

At first, I thought it was really an impressive feat for the Si that not a single 2016 new model is still lingering on dealer lots as of today, as is the case with EX's. Then it occurred to me that this anomaly is more likely due to the non-existence of the 2016 Si rather than the tremendous appeal of the 2016 Si. :)

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
I pick the coupe instead of the sedan for the same reason already mentioned: i don’t like the rear (in fact the plastic fake vent are too ugly).

Another reason which can be surprising, because my 2 kids are now able to sit in their car seat by themself, i find the coupe to be more practical when it come to get to the rear to Buckle their seat belt. The fact that the passenger seat slide far to the front give me plently of room. (I can even sit on the armrest)

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
While I do appreciate the coupe, it was never an option for me. Primarily because I have two kids (8 and 5)...but also because that coupe spoiler seems a tad ridiculous. I’ll be the first to admit the sedan’s rear isn’t the most flattering aspect, but at my age (38) that coupe would have screamed “mid-life crisis”. I know a lot of people like that wing so please know that there’s no disrespect intended, and obviously styling is subjective, just giving my opinion.
Yeah... finally it’s maybe just my mid-life crisis... i did not realized that yet

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I've zero evidence to back this up, it is based on anecdotal observations, conversations, car forums, etc, but it seems that maybe Baby Boomers (born roughly 1946 – 1964) and Gen Xers (born roughly 1965 - 1981) still have a fondness for coupes that is dying off in the Millennials (born roughly 1982 to 1999) as the stigma of a four door car being an old person's car is fading from memory as sedans have become dominant.
I'm a Gen X'er who used to think sedans and crew cab pickups were awkward and unappealing. I couldn't stand the thought of owning one. As the design of sedans improved and crew cab pickups were no longer limited to oilfield companies, a transition occurred in my mind over time. Now, coupes look odd to me and regular/extended cab pickups are just weird.

However, when limiting it to the Si trim level, the ratio reverses, though not nearly as drastic of a ratio, there are about 2 Si Coupes for every 1 Si sedan in new inventory, and smaller, but still significant ratio in favor of coupes when the query was expanded to include used and new inventory.
I, too, noticed a very unscientific search on Cars.com yielded more coupes than sedans listed in inventory, but that's a relatively recent development and could actually be due to coupes piling up on dealer lots due to slower sales. It would be interesting to compare the length of time the coupes have been sitting on lots compared to the sedans.

Or, perhaps there has been one last gasp of air for the Civic (Si) coupe since it's the last remaining FWD compact coupe after the Scion tC and Kia Forte Koup were killed off a couple of years ago. I said it last year and now I'm even more confident in saying that I'd be very surprised if the Civic coupe lives past 2019.

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
That was actually an issue for me as well. In fact, that whole vast expanse of honeycomb thing on both variants of the Si made me pick the MSM over the lighter or brighter (and more preferred) colors (I admit really liking the Aegean Blue and the Lunar Silver). The Modern Steel tends to muffle all that loud plastic and more effectively integrate the look. Just me.
Nice, I got the same exact car: 2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic.

Saw that you are a cyclist, how do you carry your bike? I don't think the trailer hitch is an option for SI. sigh!!!

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
Nice, I got the same exact car: 2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic.

Saw that you are a cyclist, how do you carry your bike? I don't think the trailer hitch is an option for SI. sigh!!!
Fortunately for me, all the trails I like are a mile off the end of the driveway, so I won't need to transport unless we take a trip somewhere with the bikes - but not likely. I know there are racks for the back of the car and possibly roof-top mounts as well.

ltrinh

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Fortunately for me, all the trails I like are a mile off the end of the driveway, so I won't need to transport unless we take a trip somewhere with the bikes - but not likely. I know there are racks for the back of the car and possibly roof-top mounts as well.
Saris Bone comes to mind. I don't really like roof-top. I think I can remove the front wheel and toss the bike into the trunk. Haven't tried it yet though.

joecat66

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si coupe e38 bmw toyota fj60 triumph tr6 and 2 more
Country flag
I bought the coupe. I like curve of the door frames and the back end. I also own 3 sedans and a fj60 and the kids are now adults. I do like the taillights on the sedan but mine are growing on me. I'm a bit older and stats wise it's similar to my first new car which was an 1989 ford probe gt. The probe had a 2.2 litre turbocharged 3 valve per cylinder inter-cooled power plant with ride control via electric dampers!....all courtesy of mazda. Hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago also hard to believe is the purchase price of the 18 si was only 6,000 bucks more than the probe was in 89
also the best of coupe is when you stand by either side mirror and look towards the rear of the car. The a pillar (starting after the hood) to the b (not really a b but u get my drift) to the c (all the way to the trunk) is one continuous piece that becomes the rear fender and comes back to you where it hits the end of the longer door...stunning

Last edited:
First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I watched the HondaProJason video where they went out to the desert to drive em and right then and there i fell in love with the coupe. Had to drive 100 miles away to find one in the right color. I read the comments and nobody has mentioned insurance costs. The dealers in town that didnt have any coupes available all tried to use that to get me to buy a sedan because apperently its cheaper to insure. I wasnt having it tho, i wanted my white orchid coupe.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
While I do appreciate the coupe, it was never an option for me. Primarily because I have two kids (8 and 5)...but also because that coupe spoiler seems a tad ridiculous. I’ll be the first to admit the sedan’s rear isn’t the most flattering aspect, but at my age (38) that coupe would have screamed “mid-life crisis”. I know a lot of people like that wing so please know that there’s no disrespect intended, and obviously styling is subjective, just giving my opinion.
38 is nowhere near mid life. Also, there’s nothing wrong owning a sports car that looks like a sports car, no matter ones age.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I got the coupe. Not because I thought the sedan looked ugly, it’s not. The sedan looks really big to me, and I don’t want any more big cars in my life, including suvs. Oh, and the coupe also has ugly large fake vents in back, but horizontal
Sponsored