First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a sedan, practically speaking it was no contest for that choice over the coupe. My GF wants a coupe however, looks and color choice being her reason (she wants Energy Green). Due to already having a Sedan the practicality reasons are less important. The only thing I think she would miss out on is the trunk space.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
In the showroom, I sat in the back seat of the sedan and found that I had to twist my size 10 feet out of the footwell to step out the door. In a way, I actually had easier access to the rear seat in the coupe simply by virtue of the larger door opening. But getting out of the coupe was more difficult, obviously, than the sedan. If they installed another handle on the inside of the front passenger pillar, it would have been far easier to pull myself out of that back seat.

e85sbm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm a coupe guy

I can't get past the bulbous backside of the sedan - most likely a result of the extremely large black plastic wanna-be vents that do nothing. Also, the proportions look off on the sedan, it seems to have too large of a trunk overhang with an awkward cat in heat stance and too small of wheels to fit the aesthetic.

I know I'm in the minority as Honda doesn't even build the coupe for the JDM market - only Sedan and Hatch.....if they made a better rear bumper, I would be all over the hatch since it carries similar dimensions to the coupe with better proportions......PLEASE HONDA FIX THE UGLY REAR BUMPER!!!!!!!!

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm a coupe guy

I can't get past the bulbous backside of the sedan - most likely a result of the extremely large black plastic wanna-be vents that do nothing. Also, the proportions look off on the sedan, it seems to have too large of a trunk overhang with an awkward cat in heat stance and too small of wheels to fit the aesthetic.

I know I'm in the minority as Honda doesn't even build the coupe for the JDM market - only Sedan and Hatch.....if they made a better rear bumper, I would be all over the hatch since it carries similar dimensions to the coupe with better proportions......PLEASE HONDA FIX THE UGLY REAR BUMPER!!!!!!!!
I agree 1000%. Were it not for the rear of the sedan...I may have been persuaded. As I have said elsewhere, I was not even looking to trade, because all I had seen was the sedan, and that rear just didn't do it for me. When I saw the coupe and it had a similar backside to our '16 EX-L coupe...it was love...and money spent.

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
There have been several threads on this forum debating the coupe versus sedan.

Here are some objective facts...
The antidote to "objective" is "anyways". Despite all the objective evidence to the contrary, some of us just love the coupe anyways. I picked the coupe over the sedan for the same reason I bought an Si in the face of more reasoned objectivity pointing to a Corolla.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
The question so many of us must answer I suppose....

Just wondering what you all chose, and if it was a tough choice vs a no-brainer. I suspect that I am in the minority in choosing the coupe. I just loved the lines too much - the high-flying spoiler, the rounded butt end, the more streamlined shape, and the fact it was a little shorter.

Countering that, the sedan offers a lot: easier access to the rear seats, rear seat center armrest, increased headroom, increased trunk/cargo capacity, and no glass over the passengers' scalps that will bake them in the summer.

But emotion won over practicality (which is why I probably was attracted to the car to begin with). I can likely count on one hand the number of times I will carry passengers in the back seat (no kids in the family helps), and the only time I needed more trunk space than what the coupe offers required renting an 18 foot van anyways. I think the sedan might have won if only that dang spoiler didn't look so good...
For me it was a bit of a tough choice. I thought the coupe was much better-looking than the sedan - and that's not to say the sedan is ugly.... far from it - so that's what I drove first. The dealer had the exact same color in the sedan, so I drove it as well. The sedan is only 17 lbs. heavier than the coupe, and the wheelbase is only an inch or two longer than the coupe. On paper, they should drive pretty much the same.

Honestly I felt the sedan wasn't at peppy or tossable/nimble as the coupe. Was it in my head? Most likely. So I did a mental checklist:

1. The coupe, in my mind, was better-looking than the sedan
  2. The coupe, in my mind, was more fun to drive
  3. The coupe and sedan are the exact same price, so cost isn't an issue
  4. I have no kids and really don't need a sedan
  5. The coupe's back seats fold flat, just like the sedan

Those are the reasons why I came home with a coupe. And my decision was firmly cemented when I fit three R/C jets, a folding table, my transmitter case, my 'field bag' (contains a charger, power supplies, tools, etc.), and an ammo can full of LiPo batteries in the trunk with the seats folded down. None of that had to go up front, which meant the girlfriend could join me comfortably. I knew then I made the right decision and haven't looked back.

TheKevinlyFather

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe (Sold), 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec (SH-AWD)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have two kids and still went with the coupe. Though, they likely will never need to be in the car as we also have a CX-9 to use for them.

I just can't buy a sedan knowing that a coupe is available. Coupes look so much better to me. I know at my age (30's) I'm probably in the minority. But, I would have bought a coupe even if we didn't have an SUV for the kids.

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
While I do appreciate the coupe, it was never an option for me. Primarily because I have two kids (8 and 5)...but also because that coupe spoiler seems a tad ridiculous. I’ll be the first to admit the sedan’s rear isn’t the most flattering aspect, but at my age (38) that coupe would have screamed “mid-life crisis”. I know a lot of people like that wing so please know that there’s no disrespect intended, and obviously styling is subjective, just giving my opinion.

I bought a coupe...just hit the big 40. My wife keeps saying it's my midlife crisis car.... "In 10 years when I come toolin' into the driveway with a GT40 kit car, you may then call it my midlife crisis":D. A civic just doesn't quite fit the bill for that one!

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I bought a coupe...just hit the big 40. My wife keeps saying it's my midlife crisis car.... "In 10 years when I come toolin' into the driveway with a GT40 kit car, you may then call it my midlife crisis":D. A civic just doesn't quite fit the bill for that one!
I'm trailing you by a year...just hit 39 with a 18 y/o and a 12 y/o and still have the coupe..though not my choice. The funny thing is my wife also refers to it as my midlife crisis car even though it was supposed to be her car.

I do prefer the coupe aesthetics though so I'm happy.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The coupe looks 100 times better IMO. It has a sleeker and sportier appearance. The tall wing, the side profiles, the aggressive lines, etc. It does have kind of a boy racer appearance, which i actually like.

The sedan version doesnt look good to me. Especially the rear end. Those big black faux grill things look dumb as hell.

Sal Bandini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm a heck of a lot older than all of you and I almost bought the coupe, but after driving my 8th gen coupe for a number of years I decided the sedan would be a welcome change. I really did enjoy my coupe, though.

Don't let the excuse of age sway your decision on what to get. One thing I've learned is that the older I get the less I care what others' think.

05NBPDC5

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RDX A-Spec SH-AWD
Country flag
Only way I could bare to look at the coupe Si is to get a trunk lid from a standard model to get rid of that wing. Stands out like a sore thumb to me, not in a good way. The sedan is more under the radar and seems to have more cohesive proportions, and I love most coupe's.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the lines of the coupe better, even more so in the Touring trim, but I have young kids and need a backseat that is easy to access. If I was shopping coupes I'm not sure I would have gone with the Civic. The practicality was part of the appeal.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
All of the previous vehicles that I've owned, besides one, have been coupes. Having two doors gives the vehicle a sportier look, which I like . However, the boy racer wing on the Si Coupe, is a little too much for my taste. I would prefer to have no spoiler, but I can at least tolerate it now.

Don't get me started with the looks of the CTR :hide:

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
I wanted the coupe because I feel it looks a lot better, mainly it's more understated vents.

That said, the four door sedan is just a million times more practical, so that really won it out for me.
Sponsored