Coupe vs sedan

who8myrice

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 memeboost
I been trying to find out if there was any advantage of sedan vs coup other then more doors. No answer so far.
What I mean by this is, think about 8th gen si. Sedan is considered better handler due to longer wheelbase and structure reinforcement.
I had 6 to 8th gen si, I kicked my self when sedan came out in 2007, making me rethink about my coup purchase.
Now this 10th gen. Is there any difference in handling between two?
Sponsored

Stealthy86

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I been trying to find out if there was any advantage of sedan vs coup other then more doors. No answer so far.
What I mean by this is, think about 8th gen si. Sedan is considered better handler due to longer wheelbase and structure reinforcement.
I had 6 to 8th gen si, I kicked my self when sedan came out in 2007, making me rethink about my coup purchase.
Now this 10th gen. Is there any difference in handling between two?

They're the same in every aspect, bud! the difference comes down to 17lbs between the Sedan and the Coupe. Pick what you like!

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
It all comes down to styling and preference. What's practical for your lifestyle. Near identical performance wise.. Although the coupe is probably more maneuverable in tight spaces and the sedan probably a litte more sturdy around turns

Vrruumm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Being 6'3", I only have about an inch of headroom in the coupe. Not sure how the sedan is.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
OBJECTIVE FACTS

Sedan Advantages

• The sedan is easier for rear passengers to enter/exit.
  • The sedan offers twice the number of doors, hinges, latches, windows, window motors, window buttons, and lock actuators for the same price as the coupe.
  • The sedan's doors are shorter, so it's easier to get in and out of without hitting a wall in your garage or another vehicle in a parking lot.
  • The sedan comes with rear heater ducts for more even cabin heating and toasty toes for rear passengers.
  • The sedan has a slightly better weight distribution - 60/40% vs. 61/39% for the coupe.
  • The sedan has more trunk space (14.7 cu. ft. vs. 11.9) which is important if you want to keep a spare tire in there and still have some room left for luggage.
  • The sedan has a center armrest in the back seat.
  • The sedan has height-adjustable front seat belts - the coupe's are not adjustable.
  • The sedan has a higher NHTSA frontal crash rating (5 stars vs. 4 for the coupe).
Coupe Advantages
  • Weighs 17 lbs. less.
Some people prefer the looks of the coupe.
Some people prefer the looks of the sedan.
Sedans outsell coupes by a large margin and are likely to enjoy a slightly higher resale value as a result.
There is virtually no difference in performance between the two.

Last edited:

philharmonik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Country flag
Height adjustable front seatbelts sounds great! I didn't know the Si had that. My Coupe EXT's seatbelts are always cutting into my neck. Had to get one of those velcro soft wrap arounds for the seat belt and it still drives me nuts.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The sedan comes with rear heater ducts for more even cabin heating and toasty toes for rear passengers.
Wait what! I never go in the back so I've never noticed any vents back there

FN2_expat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-L 2D (and FN2 forever in my heart)
Country flag
sorry, we're talking about Si
my bad

Last edited:

Stealthy86

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
coupe made in Canada, you can feel the difference in interior materials
also, not sure if it is 100% accurate, but sedan has a beige roof liner and pillars covers, coupe - black. It was a huge plus for me

apart from aesthetics, the question narrows down to "ANY coupe vs ANY sedan". and you have to answer it honestly to yourself

They're the same, lol.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
also, not sure if it is 100% accurate, but sedan has a beige roof liner and pillars covers, coupe - black. It was a huge plus for me

apart from aesthetics, the question narrows down to "ANY coupe vs ANY sedan". and you have to answer it honestly to yourself

P.S. isn't the coupe's suspension slightly different? I think I've read about it in some review
yep, here it is
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-honda-civic-coupe-first-drive-review
the difference is subtle, but it exists
All Sis are made in Canada. All Sis have a black headliner and pillars.

The article you posted does not apply to the Civic Si - it was written for the 2016 Civic coupe before the 2017 Civic Si existed. :)

This thread is in the Si forum and specifically relates to the Si.

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag

P.S. isn't the coupe's suspension slightly different? I think I've read about it in some review
yep, here it is
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-honda-civic-coupe-first-drive-review
the difference is subtle, but it exists
My interior roof liner is black in my sedan

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I thought all Civic (except the HB) are made in Canada.

When you said difference in interior materials, does Canada use better or worse materials?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought all Civic (except the HB) are made in Canada.

When you said difference in interior materials, does Canada use better or worse materials?
Some non-Si sedans are made in Indiana.

All materials are the same regardless of where the vehicle is assembled.

2016 Civic production began at Honda of Canada Manufacturing followed by Honda Manufacturing of Indiana.

Current Civic production:
  • All Si coupes and sedans and some non-Si sedans are made by Honda of Canada Manufacturing in Alliston, Ontario.
  • Some non-Si sedans are made by Honda Manufacturing of Indiana in Greensburg.
  • Type R and non-Type R hatchbacks are made by Honda of the UK Manufacturing in Swindon, UK.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was actually having some buyers remorse recently... I have the sedan because of all the reasons listed above, but to me personally the coupe just looks so much better (especially the rear bumper).

If they come out with a tamer looking rear bumper, I will be content. That is literally the only sticking point in design for the sedan.
Sponsored