First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my 2020 coupe sport has the 8 speaker system 180 watts, I'm looking for more bass and want to add a sub woofer in the factory location ( not a fan of aftermarket sub boxes ) - i know its going to have to be a compact style sub woofer. I'm looking for options to consider, when it comes to both parts and actually wiring it in. it seems the coupe parts are rare enough, and middle trim level rarer as well, information is scarce. Either wrecking yards for the factory amplifier / woofer, or just go straight aftermarket for everything. I've some experience installing systems in 4 or so other vehicles, I'm just trying to keep this one as "stealth" and less obnoxious as i can as its my first NEW car. i am also considering adding some sound deading to the doors which should help the door speakers too, maybe elsewhere. the car is already fairly quiet. i personally think its silly to mix brands between speakers.
Sponsored

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
IIRC...

Factory system doesn't have a 5th (or 9th) channel for a sub. The rear channels from the amp are really equalized to be almost MUZAK style with no real highs or lows. So even tapping their signal for a powered sub will yield 'meh' results at best.

The factory head unit doesn't have a line out or any option for adding an additional amp. And your model has an integrated amp in the head unit itself. There's not a separate 'final' stage amp external to the head unit in the Sport, I believe. I had a 2019 Sport Coupe and was really disappointed to discover how limited my options were.

Most folks in this situation opt to tap the front speakers' signal and feed it to a powered sub.

There's lots of threads that explain this much better.

My only emphasis here is to point out the difference between the front channels and the rear channels. There's a real difference in the processing. The front is extremely hyped. And the rear is extremely homogenized. This is not simply a difference between the drivers and their locations.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds to me that my best option is to just replace the speakers and accept that as my option - i don't want to replace the head unit or add a box in the trunk to take up space

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Some folks like the 'EQ Flat' (or whatever its called) program available with Honda Hack. I'm not a fan. But it's an option.

But given your preferences; yeah... focus in the fronts. Some folks feel that the factory tweeter is really harsh. They go for a silk-dome tweeter replacement. And you can certainly find a better door speaker capable of handling more power. If you decide to DIY the door drivers; do yourself a favor and buy a few spare green pop fasteners.

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well as luck would have it, i bought some Si door panels.. tempted to steal the big panel insert from it and transfer it over to my door panel - so i have plenty of those green tabs that got sent with it from what i remember.. anyway i'm looking into getting a full JL setup, 400 watt amp as i prefer it to be small, my original idea to mount it on the top of the trunk area on the bottom of where the sub woofer would be is not big enough for it unfortunately, and i'm not willing to mount the amp where traffic will occur. need full access to my spare tire / removal of rubber cargo tray / and not going to use an under seat sub woofer either.

on another note, the 6.5" for the lower door.. is this designed to be a component woofer only? or a coax as well? looking at both as options.

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, I wouldn't want to do that, not only would it be destructive to the seat cover, it would also make it get in the way anytime i would have to flop the rear seat down for larger cargo should the need arise.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I think it's just carpet on the back of the rear seats. Unless you've got them wrapped.

What's your reason for not wanting to do under the seats? I wonder if there's room under the rear seats?

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
there's no room under the rear seats, its foam against metal basically. i dont want it under the seats because i dont want anyone in the back's shoes kicking it, and i dont wanna leave screw holes in the seat backs. plus i've got a nice set of Tuxmat full floor covers id rather not have to mess with interfering with the amp. It bugs me when i see pictures of floormats or cargo liners pinned down underneath somewhat permanantly installed sub woofer boxes. no offence to anyone. its just not my cup of tea. The car should be fully useable like normal to me.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
what about the bottom of the FRONT seats?
Also whats the difference in the regular and SI doors?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I guess one option is a spare mounted power sub like the Cerwin Vega mentioned above. Another option is to just velcro a powered sub to your trunk tray.

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Coupe Add a Subwoofer? IMG_20200309_152721
My Sport model has the base level i suppose middle insert - below the silver trim and above the arm rest - its a hard plastic

Honda Civic 10th gen Coupe Add a Subwoofer? IMG_20200512_135134

The SI has a fabric covered panel
Honda Civic 10th gen Coupe Add a Subwoofer? IMG_20200512_135147

that panel is "removable" with the persuasion of some drilling out the plastic "welded" pieces and screwing screws into them to hold it inplace. Id rather just simply swap the entire door panels over but both sides i ordered from a junkyard have damage sufficient enough i wouldn't want to put them on my car with less than 2,000 miles. so ill remove the insert and swap it over, to mine. unless anyone has pristine Si panels they wanna sell? lol i actually want the touring models with the black leather covered panels.. i may hold off on this, i may change my mind and put those on and sell these for what i can get for it.