Coupe 3rd brake lamp cover issue

CIVIC-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2015 Prius C2
Country flag
Rattle noise started happening from inside vehicle. I pin pointed the noise to the 3rd brake lamp cover. Seems to be held on by velcro to a magnet taped on rear windshield. I pushed it back in and it was good for a week but now it came off again. I looked at it and the magnet that sticks on the rear glass has come off.

Anyone have this issue? I had my rear window tinted so maybe the tint guy pulled it off and messed it up. Last time i go to that window tint guy. Im thinking warranty wouldnt cover it because of the aftermarket tint on the rear glass.
Sponsored

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
No, its not the tint guy because when I got mine tinted yesterday the tint guy actually pulled me over to the car and showed it to me that the cover came off of the double sided tape. I'm just gonna buy some tape at autozone and call it a day. I'd rather not bring it to the dealer just for that.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get some real good 3M tape, and it should be fine. I'm guessing yours has the subwoofer in the back dash? That might contribute to it "rattling" loose. I don't know though, just a thought.

chriswcalif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Country flag
Rattle noise started happening from inside vehicle. I pin pointed the noise to the 3rd brake lamp cover. Seems to be held on by velcro to a magnet taped on rear windshield. I pushed it back in and it was good for a week but now it came off again. I looked at it and the magnet that sticks on the rear glass has come off.

Anyone have this issue? I had my rear window tinted so maybe the tint guy pulled it off and messed it up. Last time i go to that window tint guy. Im thinking warranty wouldnt cover it because of the aftermarket tint on the rear glass.
My 3rd brake lamp cover on my Touring Coupe came loose on the left hand side after the first 1000 miles *and* a trip to Death Valley. I could have claimed warranty but I generally don't like anyone else working on my cars. I too thought that the Scotch mounting tape from Autozone would do the trick. It did until the window got hot from the sun and I was going over a rough road. The issue seems to be heat. After checking out the specs. of the various Scotch tapes online I ended up buying Scotch #4008 for it's high temp. spec. This part might be overkill but I used the tape in combination with Scotch 3X extreme Velcro fastener from Home Depot. This will add a slight thickness over the original material holding up the cover so the cover is slightly lower but it still seals. After 3000 miles the cover is still holding strong. I suspect that there will be more coupe owners reporting the same problem.

OP
OP
CIVIC-EXT

CIVIC-EXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2015 Prius C2
Country flag
My 3rd brake lamp cover on my Touring Coupe came loose on the left hand side after the first 1000 miles *and* a trip to Death Valley. I could have claimed warranty but I generally don't like anyone else working on my cars. I too thought that the Scotch mounting tape from Autozone would do the trick. It did until the window got hot from the sun and I was going over a rough road. The issue seems to be heat. After checking out the specs. of the various Scotch tapes online I ended up buying Scotch #4008 for it's high temp. spec. This part might be overkill but I used the tape in combination with Scotch 3X extreme Velcro fastener from Home Depot. This will add a slight thickness over the original material holding up the cover so the cover is slightly lower but it still seals. After 3000 miles the cover is still holding strong. I suspect that there will be more coupe owners reporting the same problem.
thanks for the info. i'll try that.

Lukcas02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civicx Coupe
Yeah looks like the tape they used at the factory sucks. I wouldn't have noticed it unless the tint guy showed it to me.

philharmonik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Country flag
Having this issue in my Coupe EXT right now. Dealer is working to fix it. All their coupes on the lot have the same problem.

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag
Same Here.. LX-P .. got a service appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully theyll find a way to fix it..

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag
Gorilla super glue. :rolleyes:

Mines been perfect since I fixed it in June.

$2, 5 minutes, and happiness ever since.

:popcorn:
Ive never tried to do any fix on the lamp but wouldnt super gluing the Cover unto the glass leave a sticky mess?

GAVZDAD

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so say we all
Ive never tried to do any fix on the lamp but wouldnt super gluing the Cover unto the glass leave a sticky mess?
No, because you can't even see the super glue. You put it on the rectangle raised pads under the black part of the window and on the cover itself that has the Velcro looking pads on them. Completely hidden.

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag
No, because you can't even see the super glue. You put it on the rectangle raised pads under the black part of the window and on the cover itself that has the Velcro looking pads on them. Completely hidden.
I honestly cant picture it out. I've only seen the thing 2-3 times maybe. i might try to fix this myself if the dealership wont be able to tomorrow.

philharmonik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Country flag
Well, today was the dealership's 2 attempt at fixing the cover. Drove home and it's already starting to sag again. I'm going to keep taking it back until they get it right, or Honda issues a recall.

Honda Civic 10th gen Coupe 3rd brake lamp cover issue WP_20160914_17_58_00_Pro

Honda Civic 10th gen Coupe 3rd brake lamp cover issue WP_20160914_17_57_37_Pro

mokylim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX-P
Country flag

philharmonik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)