TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree, but there is a solution. :)

This even works just after an oil change when the oil is crystal clear, and you don't stand a chance of reading it on the orange plastic.

This is a trick that has always worked on the older, all metal dip sticks, and it seems to also work well on the Orange Plastic ends, on the Honda Dip Sticks.

Take a piece of about 80 Grit Sand Paper, and scuff up the plastic on the sides , in multiple directions, to get a mass of multi-directional scratches on it. Then clean it very well -- get all residue off.

Dry it well - (always get all the oil off, with paper towel (or better still, Shop rag -- less lint), and take a dip stick measurement.

Now when you look at the side orange bits, rotate so that the light hits it right, and you will clearly see the oil in the scratches, and clearly see the top level.

We are talking about being able to measure to within 1-2 mm, even with new clean oil !!!

new-oil-level.jpg

Black line is Photo-shopped in -- Obviously !! :yes:

If you are going to keep an eye out for Oil Dilution, it is important to make sure that you have an accurate reading after your oil change.

A WHITE plastic end would have made a lot more sense !!
Thanks! Will try this pronto on two Hondas with the 1.5T. I agree, it's one of the worst dipsticks.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Its all about "Design & Engineering" :)
I think I'm going to just sand the front and back of it flat. Would be easier to read than trying to read the side of it.

pjw7454

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic couple ex-L
I’ve never had a problem reading my oil lol.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I’ve never had a problem reading my oil lol.
NO, not when it's old and dirty, but I bet you do getting an accurate reading just after an oil change, when you want to know if it is filled to the correct level, and be able to compare that initial level with future oil level checks, to monitor any chage in oil level (For whatever reason).

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I'm going to just sand the front and back of it flat. Would be easier to read than trying to read the side of it.
Let us all know how that works out.

I think the theory of the front & back channel might have been to retain the oil, so one could been it on the dipstick, and to protect the oil in that channel from being disturbed as the stick is drawn out. From what I see with new oil, that does not work too well.

Maybe getting into the channel with sand paper, or even a dremmel tool might be good way to go ... I just thought of doing the original side sanding last night, and that was my 1st quick attempt at improving the dipstick.

I was seriously thinking of replacing the whole Orange Plastic end with a piece of Machined White Teflon, but I think the scuffing up method may be sufficient.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Let us all know how that works out.

I think the theory of the front & back channel might have been to retain the oil, so one could been it on the dipstick, and to protect the oil in that channel from being disturbed as the stick is drawn out. From what I see with new oil, that does not work too well.

Maybe getting into the channel with sand paper, or even a dremmel tool might be good way to go ... I just thought of doing the original side sanding last night, and that was my 1st quick attempt at improving the dipstick.

I was seriously thinking of replacing the whole Orange Plastic end with a piece of Machined White Teflon, but I think the scuffing up method may be sufficient.
The old style plain steel with the holes worked better because as long as it was at the hole, you were good.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The old style plain steel with the holes worked better because as long as it was at the hole, you were good.
Yes, I think Honda just got a little carried away with the RED (orange) trim , and extended it to the dip stick. :dunno:

Certainly NOT a "Better Mousetrap"

I have seen posts in other forums, where owners were just breaking off the Orange plastic, and cutting level marks straight onto the metal .. like they did in the "Good old days".

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is hard to get an accurate reading. What I have done, is wipe the orange plastic completely dry, put it back in and turn it into the light where you can see the oil on the plastic. You can see where the it's still dry at the top of the plastic. My level hasn't risen more than a 1/4 inch on the stick for over 55,000 miles between oci's.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Yes, I think Honda just got a little carried away with the RED (orange) trim , and extended it to the dip stick. :dunno:

Certainly NOT a "Better Mousetrap"

I have seen posts in other forums, where owners were just breaking off the Orange plastic, and cutting level marks straight onto the metal .. like they did in the "Good old days".
It seems kinda stupid because a straight metal strip with an acid etched tip works 100%. To design something that needs a piece of plastic over-molded on it is excessive.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have trouble reading mine, and it might have cost me for my car break-in period.

When reading it at the gas station, it appeared below the bottom line. So I filled it up with a quart of oil. Now when I read it, it looks like there is oil all the way up to the metal piece. Not as dark, so I really can't tell! The dark part still "reads" underneath the bottom line.

I have several issues here:

1) I may have too much oil in my car.

2) I may not have enough even still, and the side walls are too oily that any time I put in the dipstick it will be reading that.

3) I knew I couldn't get an oil change within the maintenance minder reading a low amount, but as I understood it I would still have to refill the oil myself if it was low. In my old '99 Civic, every 4-5 gas fill-ups I would have to check out that thing in case the oil got low, and I would have to put in a full quart each time. Other people are saying with this car that I shouldn't have to go that short before filling up oil again, and I shouldn't have to put in that much. Anyway, now I don't just have the original car's oil in there during the break-in period.

Anyone know where to get the break-in oil? Should I talk to my dealership about all of this? I only have like 800 miles on the car.

Thanks.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have trouble reading mine, and it might have cost me for my car break-in period.

When reading it at the gas station, it appeared below the bottom line. So I filled it up with a quart of oil. Now when I read it, it looks like there is oil all the way up to the metal piece. Not as dark, so I really can't tell! The dark part still "reads" underneath the bottom line.

I have several issues here:

1) I may have too much oil in my car.

2) I may not have enough even still, and the side walls are too oily that any time I put in the dipstick it will be reading that.

3) I knew I couldn't get an oil change within the maintenance minder reading a low amount, but as I understood it I would still have to refill the oil myself if it was low. In my old '99 Civic, every 4-5 gas fill-ups I would have to check out that thing in case the oil got low, and I would have to put in a full quart each time. Other people are saying with this car that I shouldn't have to go that short before filling up oil again, and I shouldn't have to put in that much. Anyway, now I don't just have the original car's oil in there during the break-in period.

Anyone know where to get the break-in oil? Should I talk to my dealership about all of this? I only have like 800 miles on the car.

Thanks.
So, you seem to have overfilled your oil with a quart of what type of additional oil ?

I am no expert, but this seems to be quite a bad move for numerous reasons.

I see you have 2 choices:

(1) Have the dealer sort it out .. they should be able to drain and re-fill with Honda break In oil. I would assume they have access to this (or similar) - they "should" need it if doing certain types of engine work.

(2) Fix your mistake yourself (and don't tell the Dealer).
#1 is to get the excessive oil out.
It might be easier for you to get a Dip Stick oid suction device, and suck out a quart, rather than messing about under the car with the oil drain plug -- and getting into more trouble.
Then check oil level, and start replacing the oil with what you took out, till you get to the right level.
At the end of this process you will have a mixture of oil in the car, but the majority will be the break in oil, and I would assume that might be OK.

You "could" suck it all out (as much as you can), and then fill with an OFF THE SELF break in oil, but that might get you into further trouble.

Remember, at about 15% you are probably going to have the Dealer do your 1st "Official" oil and filer change. If you are not going to tell the Dealer what you did, you will be hoping that they do not notice what you have been up to -- and start making noises about Voided Warranty, either now , or Later.

Get some advise from other and decide.
Please DO NOT just do what I suggest without first checking with a few other more knowledgeable people.
The above is what I would do, not necessarily what I am recommending you do.

PS: did a quick Internet search -- did not see anyone selling "HONDA BREAK IN OIL" as such.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks, I'll try and take it to the dealer tomorrow if possible. I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Advanced Fuel Economy.

So back to the stupid question again, because I can't even get Google to help me with this answer:

How often do you have to put in your own oil? I'm not asking about an oil change (honestly I don't know what the difference is, besides that I take it somewhere to get that to happen), I'm just talking about filling up the engine oil with a funnel and such. What is this called when it is "re-filling oil" and not an "oil change" so I can Google this properly next time? Any time I try and ask something like this on Google, all I get is oil change talk.

My previous car, again, was just in a matter of several gas trips. Are we not expected to be doing this very often, especially when we first get the car? Are we expecting that the oil that comes with the car when first purchased should last us until our first oil change after about 6,000 miles? Is there a reason that my reading was so low not even 1,000 miles into owning this car? Am I just an idiot when it comes to reading oil level, and that the dark liquid below the lower line does not in fact mean that the oil is below the lower line?

I fucking hate this part of owning a car: doing something that is supposed to be easy, routine or commonplace, yet I don't understand a damn thing about it and I fuck something up.

And ugh hopefully the dealer has such a thing as "HONDA BREAK-IN OIL."

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, I'll try and take it to the dealer tomorrow if possible. I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Advanced Fuel Economy.

So back to the stupid question again, because I can't even get Google to help me with this answer:

How often do you have to put in your own oil? I'm not asking about an oil change (honestly I don't know what the difference is, besides that I take it somewhere to get that to happen), I'm just talking about filling up the engine oil with a funnel and such. What is this called when it is "re-filling oil" and not an "oil change" so I can Google this properly next time? Any time I try and ask something like this on Google, all I get is oil change talk.

My previous car, again, was just in a matter of several gas trips. Are we not expected to be doing this very often, especially when we first get the car? Are we expecting that the oil that comes with the car when first purchased should last us until our first oil change after about 6,000 miles? Is there a reason that my reading was so low not even 1,000 miles into owning this car? Am I just an idiot when it comes to reading oil level, and that the dark liquid below the lower line does not in fact mean that the oil is below the lower line?

I fucking hate this part of owning a car: doing something that is supposed to be easy, routine or commonplace, yet I don't understand a damn thing about it and I fuck something up.

And ugh hopefully the dealer has such a thing as "HONDA BREAK-IN OIL."
Since are going to the Dealer, these are all questions you can ask them, --- and then come back and tell us what BS they gave you :doh:
Sponsored