Could we turn our Type-R's into Electric running hybrids? is it possible?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
https://www.businessinsider.com/turn-gas-car-into-electric-one-for-just-9500-2019-8

This would be considered an interesting project. As you can see start ups are taking it upon themselves to convert gas vehicles and make then be able to run on Electricity as well. i am wondering what could the Type -R need to achieve this level of functionality? This is a discussion topic mainly, but I am beginning to do some research......and will try to bring more information from my almost nonexistent understanding of the vehicle we drive and its limitations.

This intrigues me regardless. If we can have a Hybrid standard for our Type-r's it would mean good things for the future standing the test of time for our cars.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
They're basically just doing an engine swap. Fab some mounts, get the motor in the right spot for the axles, tear out the gas tank, put the batteries there instead. Throw in some kind of aftermarket ECU to control everything. Not much more to it.

Now, if we're talking hybrid, there's not really any room in the engine bay to do this. There was a project a couple years ago that basically mounted electric motors inside the wheels of a Type R but nothing ever came of it.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Remember there was a project with two 50HP electrical motor on the rear wheel with a Prius battery set on the trunk, but even under early estimate it would cost over 10g to mount. Really no point in that case.
Sponsored