think3mm

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
Does anyone know what it costs to replace a rear bumper? Someone backed into me coming out of their driveway (I was parked) and cracked mine. Unfortunately they didn't stick around (call it karma). Insurance estimate was ~$1600. Anyone know if that's realistic?
Sponsored

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Let's see, you got a quote from a professional who has a huge data base of costs and expenses, and instead you want estimates from random people on the internet?

Given the current market, I would not have been surprised if the cost was higher.

Take it to a body shop and have them give you a quote.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
The second problem you are going to have is the parts. They will be holding your vehicle for months waiting for replacement parts. More likely they will want to replace your whole bumper and repaint it

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Trying to pay out of pocket to avoid the claim?

I'm always surprised at estimates. If it's strictly the bumper and nothing else at all, it would probably be full retail for the bumper, plus the cost of freight shipping (which is super high right now), plus prep, materials, and paint.

At a shop near me, strictly a bumper repaint would be in the $450-$650 range.

gaara46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 4runner
Country flag
well if the wait for the rear bumper is anything like the wait for the front...ur in for a looooooong wait

ive barely driven my car these past few months cuz i need a new front bumper and the wait is KILLING me.

SGP_TypeR

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I used to be an auto damage adjuster and that $1600 doesn't sound unreasonable for a total cost.

The shop is going to have a few hours in just disassembly and reassembly. In Boston I wouldn't be surprised if the hourly rate is $100+ per hour. Next you have the cost of the bumper itself. If going OEM, Honda may have a significant mark up over a regular civic bumper due to the limited nature of the type R. Lastly, painting isn't exactly a quick nor cheap process if you want it done right. There will be standard paint times for that bumper but its probably 2 hours (paint hourly is more than assembly and reassembly). Plus other fees like disposal, environmental, etc.

Vehicle repair isn't cheap. Hence why insurance is so expensive nowadays. You'd be surprised what some stuff costs to repair.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 CW Type R
Country flag
Does anyone know what it costs to replace a rear bumper? Someone backed into me coming out of their driveway (I was parked) and cracked mine. Unfortunately they didn't stick around (call it karma). Insurance estimate was ~$1600. Anyone know if that's realistic?
Sounds about right if they’re blending the paint onto the hatch and / or other panels. If it’s just for bumper, paint, install that’s high.

OP
OP
think3mm

think3mm

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
Thanks for all the feedback!