Cost to maintain CTR

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STI
Country flag
My intentions would be to daily drive the car with minimal modifications. No performance mods as I would like to try to keep the warranty and avoid any hassle if any warranty work is needed.
Why ask such a question, it's just a car and not some crazy expensive one like a Porsche etc

OP
OP

chazzer96

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord, 2021 CTR CW
Country flag
Thanks for you advices and help. I was feeling a little hestiant about getting a civic type r as I really never really owned a "Sports Car" like this so I just wanted to know what I would be getting into it before purchasing it.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are just using as a regular car to daily then the maintenance really shouldn’t be any worse than a regular civic.

Tires will be your biggest expense. If downsize to 18’s (recommended) there will be the initial buy in for wheels and tires.

The 18’s will have longer lasting longer tires than the stock 20’s and be less prone to bending.

Thanks for you advices and help. I was feeling a little hestiant about getting a civic type r as I really never really owned a "Sports Car" like this so I just wanted to know what I would be getting into it before purchasing it.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the intent is to remain stock, recommend leaving this site until the warranty period is over and only visit if have questions or problems that need resolving.

I say this partly in jest... but lurked around here for about (6) months seeing the cool available add-ons then mod fever kicked in. Big time. ?

My intentions would be to daily drive the car with minimal modifications. No performance mods as I would like to try to keep the warranty and avoid any hassle if any warranty work is needed.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
If this will be your first "performance" car, you're gonna be spoiled without realizing it. Not only is it quick and handles so well that it masks alot of driver error but it really doesn't come with many daily performance car problems like some others (both short and long term).

You'll quickly see that it takes a significant jump in price to get to the next best car that provides a better driver experience imo. For me, most cars short of a used cayman GT4 don't impress me over the CTR for a daily fun car, and that would run like $85K.

If it helps, I researched many options and bought the R with the intention of having it as a fun sub $40K true daily as I save for a legit 2nd weekend sports car on the side. Reliability, low cost maintenance, depreciation, etc factored highly in my decision, as I plan to keep this car for a very long time.

Just be honest with yourself on it's use or whether you'd be just as happy with something less hardcore and cheaper. If it checks all the boxes and you can afford it without stretching your budget, you'll be a very lucky first performance car buyer.

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
brake rotors arent cheap but also tires would prob be the biggest cost wearable item

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Please don't change the oil every 10,000. It's cheap to get decent synthetic (and you only need about 5.7 quarts aka 6) so I'd suggest to stick to the average 5,000 mile/6 month regiment. I haven't even tracked mine yet and I change every 3,000 miles.

It's not like the car won't live at 10,000 miles, but that's a lot of trust in your oil. 7500 is fair, but it's a 4 cylinder turbo. It doesn't need like 2 - 2.5 gallons of some hyper expensive oil. You just need some solid 0w-20 synth blend and you're on your way. Stuff's cheap, it'll cost you an extra $50 a year at most, worth the sanity imo.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
YMMV when it comes to consumable items. I'm at just over 31k miles and have had to do the following:
1. Oil changes every 9k miles or so. I follow the MM and replace it when it gets down to about 15%. I just use whatever synthetic is on sale from a well known oil company and a WIX filter. Based on some oil analyses posted by other members, it can easily get to 10k under normal driving.
2. Replaced the original Continentals with like-new Contis from other owners at 21k miles. Some autocross and light canyon driving thrown in. I fully intend to get another 20k miles out of my second set.
3. Brake fluid flush at around year #2

If you daily drive the car and drive relatively normally things can last a while. The cost of ownership is pretty low all things considered.
Sponsored