Cost to get new wheels installed with TPMS

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
Hi all I had a few questions regarding the cost you all spent on getting new wheels. I ordered my 18x9 rims and 235x40x18 tires last week and received them only to find out the cost it will be to install the TPMS. What have you all spent on installing wheels with the TPMS sensor installed? I specifically went to NTB and talked with them about what it would cost and they quoted me $420. $65 for each TPMS sensor install, and $16 to mount each wheel. I was wondering if that was similar to what you guys paid. I am also open to options on where to go. I want to keep my EXT wheels for the winter so I want both wheels to have the TPMS, no switching of the old wheels to the new ones. Thanks!
Sponsored

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Hi all I had a few questions regarding the cost you all spent on getting new wheels. I ordered my 18x9 rims and 235x40x18 tires last week and received them only to find out the cost it will be to install the TPMS. What have you all spent on installing wheels with the TPMS sensor installed? I specifically went to NTB and talked with them about what it would cost and they quoted me $420. $65 for each TPMS sensor install, and $16 to mount each wheel. I was wondering if that was similar to what you guys paid. I am also open to options on where to go. I want to keep my EXT wheels for the winter so I want both wheels to have the TPMS, no switching of the old wheels to the new ones. Thanks!
Civics do not use tire sensors for TPMS. It indirectly determines tire pressure by detected the speed of each wheel and if one is rotating faster --> diameter is smaller --> sidewall is smaller because of lower tire pressure.

You don't need to buy TPMS sensors for the rims. Just slap on the rims and recalibrate your TPMS by resetting it.

Edit:
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
The 2016 Civic uses an indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)3 that is lighter and simpler than previous systems. Instead of using sensors mounted on each wheel to monitor tire pressures, indirect TMPS uses the existing ABS wheel-speed sensors to continually monitor the rotational speed of each wheel. Because a tire with low pressure rotates more quickly than one with a higher pressure, by comparing these values with a specifically designed computer algorithm, indirect TPMS can determine when a tire is low on pressure. This information is delivered to the driver in the form of a warning symbol on the instrument panel. Special logic included in the TPMS processor is designed to eliminate false warnings.

OP
OP
jdogcarroll

jdogcarroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe ex-t lunar silver
Civics do not use tire sensors for TPMS. It indirectly determines tire pressure by detected the speed of each wheel and if one is rotating faster --> diameter is smaller --> sidewall is smaller because of lower tire pressure.

You don't need to buy TPMS sensors for the rims. Just slap on the rims and recalibrate your TPMS by resetting it.

Edit:
woah.... so I wouldnt need to spend the extra $65 per wheel then? just the $16 to mount and balance?