Eleon

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just curious how much people are spending on replacement engines for their si’s after they break them ( parts and labor) from dealers, independent shops etc. This is JUST out of curiosity. Calm down, not saying I’m expecting mine to break one day cause it’s tuned. Just assessing one of the worst case scenarios since I’m planning on keeping mine for a long time. Also, will the cost for a replacement engine be drastically reduced once the 11th gen comes out next year?

Thanks.
Sponsored

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1500-2500 cdn for the full used engine assembly. Price is based on how lucky you get during your hunt. They generally have about 15-35k km.
I don’t know labour. Depends if your doing an engine build. Twostep performance has a ready to go short block that is the best value.
Upgrade internal parts is about 2000 cdn
Plus add you fluids, gaskets and smaller parts you need to replace. Plus add machining which can vary from 300-1500 if you include engine assembly or balancing.
There are many routes to go so the answer isn’t straight forward.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
A friend of mine paid around $7k at a local dealer here. Back story to this was it was completely unnecessary and the dealer misdiagnosed the repair! He’s after the dealer now.

What ended up happening is he had P0304 and they found the car was over-revved, so they voided the warranty. He had no recollection of this happening. Without doing any compression tests, etc. they forced him into an engine replacement and the issue was still there after! It ended up just being the injectors (since they moved over those from the old motor)... they gracefully replaced those under warranty ?.

Add this to my list of reasons why I hate stealers...I mean dealers.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My shop would quote you at $10k+ for a job like that so don't blow it.

Failure generally isn't an option for most folks, unless you have deep pockets you shouldn't be playing that game.

Last edited:

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Parts and labour in Canada you're looking around $7,000-12,000 depending on the dealer

If you're under warranty still, you will be fine unless the tech can prove a mod is the cause of the issue or if it's been abused

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You also need to factor in other things that may be damaged or destroyed during "blowing" the motor, which could cover many different scenarios. E.g. oil bypassing the cylinders and coating the upstream O2 sensor / turbo housing. Oil pump gears, etc. Things like spark plugs should also be replaced while everything else is taken apart anyway. Injectors should be inspected. Other costs in the "while you're in there" category should be prepared for.

Kotaas

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Local shop that I go to work with ososick and phong. They sell their built motors with a new block for 5k-7k. I’m pretty sure labor included

OP
OP
Eleon

Eleon

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
VCD Racing?

Local shop that I go to work with ososick and phong. They sell their built motors with a new block for 5k-7k. I’m pretty sure labor included

OP
OP
Eleon

Eleon

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yessir ? I can vouch they know their stuff they’re actually building my trans rn lol
Yeah I’ve been following them for a while. Perfect shop for our cars, only thing is I’m in Colorado and I doubt we’ll ever get a shop like that specializing on Xgens.