First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought a place with a saltwater pool and hot tub. The kids used it 5 times in 3 years. Now it just costs me money in maintenance and motors. Will be happy to get a place without a pool. I suppose it's nice to look at least.
And your kids are young? Usually they stop using the pool around the time they get their d/l.
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
And your kids are young? Usually they stop using the pool around the time they get their d/l.
That’s one great thing about living in Florida I’m always swimming in the pool at 52 years old BTW when I got home from work today I jumped in the pool :D

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To stay on topic ;) , 99% of pool owners eventually (when they get older and kids reach college age) wish they hadn't owned a pool to begin with. Who's going to clean it when it turns green during your two-week vacation? Who's going to skim the leaves during fall/winter for as long as you own your house. Who's going to test the water weekly to make sure it's safe to swim in? And forever battle with green algae in the summer, for as long as you own your house. Oh, and the money on chemicals that you literally pour down the drain for as long as you own your house? And I forgot the higher electricity bill for as long as you own the house. Of course, all these don't apply if you pay someone else to do it for ya but who's got that kind of dough?

My advice to homeowners / potential homeowners is don't get a pool and save all that headaches. Invest the money and retire earlier. If you must, get an above-ground kiddy pool and call it a day. But if you're rolling on dough, ignore my advice.
Naw... I gotcha. I looked at the in-ground thing but it's prohibitively expensive and while I have the equity to pull out of my home to make it happen... I have no desire to do so. I'm looking at about 3-3.5k for a decent sized above ground pool... salt water w/a sand filter was what she was leaning to. Install is about $1000-1500. I'd cock around with it myself, but I can just have it in and done in a couple of weeks. Jenny had a pool as a teen and my kids are at the age... 9, 7 and 5 I think we'd get good use out of it. I have orders to stay in my current location for 4 more years... and, despite being a single-income family, we do well... saving over a grand a month in my TSP (retirement). I rarely throw much money around... but I figure a 1/2 month's pay to get a pool and a bump in the electric bill I can swing w/o hurting my future financial plans. Between my track on TSP... my pension I'm 2.5 years away from cracking 20 on (and may go on to do some more past then) and a second job I'll be getting to follow on... I'm doing ok. I may be gone in 4 years and selling the house... and the kids would be 13, 11 and 9. If the pool is a bad selling point... I can always get rid of the thing if need be. It sort of... I don't know... feels like the exact right time to do it. 5+ years from now... yeah... I think it'd have the potential to sit unused a lot.

It's kind of one of those things where she's been talking about it for years and when we visit my mother-in-law in a 55 and older mobile home park with a community pool... the kids try to live in the thing when we're visiting. I think the juice will be worth the squeeze, and I'd use it too. If not... well... lets just say this pool won't cost 1/4 what I have in the Z. As to boats? I rent or go with friends. It seems like all my friends have one... rag on me for not having one, but complain how much they cost to buy, maintain and feed and barely use them.

Whoneedsknow

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious to hear some thoughts/opinions...

for example: how this affects you (since we all come from different places, backgrounds, etc.

I'm a college student in Socal but heading back to the Bay Area for spring break. In-person classes cancelled, finals are online, coachella is cancelled/postponed (lol), stocks are a rollercoaster

I know for others, people are working from home, etc..

but how are you affected? curious to hear from everyone since this seems to be getting more and more serious

Well... I just bought this CTR not long ago. Not sure I'll be able to afford the insurance without a job. The place I work at shut down indefinitely. Anyways, my wife has decided our family is self quarantined. I can't say I disagree with it. I just hope I haven't already brought it home since I work in a bar.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
My son is 19 and my daughter is 14. My daughter uses it the most but even that is rare. If we are still self quarantined by the summer, I'm sure we'll all use the pool a fair bit.

For those that are furloughed or laid off, we are praying for you to make it through. For those in Florida, please stop going to the dang beaches! The west coast beaches are still pretty busy and no one seems to care.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Believe it or not the bars in Punta Gorda are still open and packed I see this every day coming home from work
:doh: I love Florida but I'm a bit embarrassed to be a Floridian. We likely have the most vulnerable population yet we (some) are taking it least seriously. I guess that's the dark side of relying on tourist dollars. :(

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
:doh: I love Florida but I'm a bit embarrassed to be a Floridian. We likely have the most vulnerable population yet we (some) are taking it least seriously. I guess that's the dark side of relying on tourist dollars. :(
True but is pandemic is also killing businesses financially just last month I was working 12 to 14 hours a day now since schools and restaurants are closing I’m working 6 hours a day and this decrease of business is not good for a company that already filled for chapter 11

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
True but is pandemic is also killing businesses financially just last month I was working 12 to 14 hours a day now since schools and restaurants are closing I’m working 6 hours a day and this decrease of business is not good for a company that already filled for chapter 11
Very true. It's a tough balance and I do not envy any governor right now that's for sure!

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
American Airlines is looking like a good buy. I’m pondering pulling the trigger on some.
10000% with you on airlines. I picked up some JetBlue, some American, definitely looking at Delta. Trump also won't let the big cruise companies fall. Carnvial down from $50 to $8. Royal Carribean down from $130ish to $20. Norweigan down from $60 to $8. Time to buy ladies and gentlemen... Also look at dividend stocks which are a super bargain right now.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Curious to hear some thoughts/opinions...

for example: how this affects you (since we all come from different places, backgrounds, etc.

I'm a college student in Socal but heading back to the Bay Area for spring break. In-person classes cancelled, finals are online, coachella is cancelled/postponed (lol), stocks are a rollercoaster

I know for others, people are working from home, etc..

but how are you affected? curious to hear from everyone since this seems to be getting more and more serious
So, I'm a Fed. Our agency can't close, but our entire Division has closed as of Tuesday afternoon. We can't telework, so we're getting paid just to stay home.

I'm in a small, fairly isolated city in VA well outside of DC, so there really ain't much to do here. DC & MD have closed all restaurants and gatherings, VA has virtually done the same by criminalizing non-essential businesses and patrons with 10+ customers at one time (classic Virginia).

Pretty much everything has been shut down here other than the essentials and what businesses can actually attempt to maintain customers. What few places are open are drive-through or carryout only.

2020 sucks and I hope we're through this quicker than I fear we will.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
So in re-reading this pandemic thread, I have two main take-away's:

1] First and foremost:

People, get you swimming pool plans in order, now! There is no time to waste, this is an existential crisis, for God's sake, and it's just common sense that, even before "social distancing" or other ideas, the main line of defense to this life-threatening event has to be a sound plan for installing your swimming pool, either now or in the near future.

2] And really, after the swimming pools, everything else is pretty minor, I don't think we need to over think this. Right?

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
10000% with you on airlines. I picked up some JetBlue, some American, definitely looking at Delta. Trump also won't let the big cruise companies fall. Carnvial down from $50 to $8. Royal Carribean down from $130ish to $20. Norweigan down from $60 to $8. Time to buy ladies and gentlemen... Also look at dividend stocks which are a super bargain right now.
Aside from averaging in on my normal SPY/VOO/QQQ, I jumped on RCL yesterday. Also finally grabbed some DIS. Looking at airlines now. I may grab some more TSLA as well. I bought TSLA last year at $250 and sold at $950 when it went bananas earlier this year. I’m long term, so that’s the upside of this for my wife and I.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You're regular flu isn't going to shut down anything because we have a cure for it.
We do? I did not know that. So why are we allowing hundreds of thousands of people die from it every year? Or... who's WE?? Who are you people who have a cure for flu?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So in re-reading this pandemic thread, I have two main take-away's:

1] First and foremost:

People, get you swimming pool plans in order, now! There is no time to waste, this is an existential crisis, for God's sake, and it's just common sense that, even before "social distancing" or other ideas, the main line of defense to this life-threatening event has to be a sound plan for installing your swimming pool, either now or in the near future.

2] And really, after the swimming pools, everything else is pretty minor, I don't think we need to over think this. Right?
That pretty much sums it up. We plan on socially distancing while splashing in the back yard.

/thread?
Sponsored