Coronavirus...

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it is going to be a huge hit financially that's for sure.
I made the mistake of checking my investment account today. I'm just gonna stay the course and hope whenever it rebounds it was worth it to not pull out.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I made the mistake of checking my investment account today. I'm just gonna stay the course and hope whenever it rebounds it was worth it to not pull out.
it ought to be fine. We took a similar beating in ā€˜08 and it popped right back in a couple of years. I use the TSP in the navy and had actually pulled a chunk of my $$$ in one of the low gain/low risk funds going into the year. I figured overly long bull market + election year was going to equal a few corrections and Iā€™d try to time the market a little.

I donā€™t know if this is the bottom.. but I just shifted everything back over to the equivalent of the S&P and Dow. Eventually itā€™ll have worked out. Iā€™m still 30 years out from planning to draw off of it... and canā€™t w/o taking a tax penalty for over 20... so Iā€™m still playing the long game. It stinks for people early into retirement who were planning to pull a good chunk out for a large purchase/take a big trip though. This is definitely the time to leave it be and wait for a return if you can.

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
I undrestand that some people are concerned about the collapse
of the stock markets, In my opinion, the worst mistake would be
to pull out with heavy losses.
Think long term. In a few weeks, a few months, everything will slowly
recover and the losses will be less dramatic.
In the meantime, think about protecting yourself, your family, your
parents...from spreadind the virus. There's no point in having money
invested if you have to end up 6 feet under the ground.
Older people like me are much more likely to die in case of contagion
than younger people or children: 1 chance out of 4 according to the
statistics for the 80 or over.
We'll see what happens.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
it ought to be fine. We took a similar beating in ā€˜08 and it popped right back in a couple of years. I use the TSP in the navy and had actually pulled a chunk of my $$$ in one of the low gain/low risk funds going into the year. I figured overly long bull market + election year was going to equal a few corrections and Iā€™d try to time the market a little.

I donā€™t know if this is the bottom.. but I just shifted everything back over to the equivalent of the S&P and Dow. Eventually itā€™ll have worked out. Iā€™m still 30 years out from planning to draw off of it... and canā€™t w/o taking a tax penalty for over 20... so Iā€™m still playing the long game. It stinks for people early into retirement who were planning to pull a good chunk out for a large purchase/take a big trip though. This is definitely the time to leave it be and wait for a return if you can.
Yeah, that's basically what I tell myself. I'm not gonna need it at least for 40ish more years or so, so let it rest there. Even if the stocks plummet even more than today (very likely), everything has to go back up at some point.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, that's basically what I tell myself. I'm not gonna need it at least for 40ish more years or so, so let it rest there. Even if the stocks plummet even more than today (very likely), everything has to go back up at some point.
Oh yeah... youā€™re playing the long game. Keep investing now... itā€™s the best time to buy. My mom is bummed because sheā€™s older than 70.5 so she has to take her minimum distributions, though her investments are mostly in low risk/low gain things at this point in her life so this wonā€™t have a major hit on her. She had no big things planned to pull money out so between her social security and minimum distributions, sheā€™s golden.

I took a beating back in ā€˜08 a few years into my navy time and it came right back. Iā€™ve got something like 20x what I had at ā€˜08s bottom between gains since and what Iā€™ve socked away as my income rose and, with it, my ability to save for retirement. Back then I only have a few months pay worth of $$$ invested. If you look at the markets back for over a century, you can expect, historically to have a many heart dropping loss periods during your life. It has always come back... and in recent times, in a few short years. Before ā€˜08... it was ā€˜01-02. There was a dot com drop in the late 90s. Then the early 90s recession around the Gulf War time. Every bad year has been followed by a string of good ones. For whatever the voodoo magic that fiat currency and our global economy might be, it keeps going up. Many a millionaire is going to made from moves made during the year. I wish I had more $$$ to be one of them.

At least I know, even when I retire and a loaf of bread is 10 bucks 30 years from now, my investments are such that I ought to be able to afford to eat sandwiches still.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Good time to buy. Itā€™s like Boxing Day for stocks.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...aaand Iā€™m not running the concession stand for the soccer club anymore as of today. The state organization that provides the club liability insurance said to stop all practice/play.

Sucks... mostly because they kids canā€™t play now. Iā€™ll have to figure something else out. Weā€™re still in for Fontana as of now. Theyā€™ve all been asking about wanting to go back to the place with the twisty roads. We shall see! With Girl Scout camps planned for both girls this summer as well... this might be the year of lots of cancelations and disappointments. Hopefully thatā€™s all it ends of being for us all.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
It's certainly an interesting time in the world right now. This is pretty much unprecedented as far as I know. That being said, I do feel like panic is created by media and such when it is unnecessary. Should people be more cautious and vigilant to avoid catching it? Absolutely. But I know people who legitimately are scared of dying from it because they are uneducated about the facts. We should be safe rather than sorry, but the panic is unnecessary. According to some doctors I know, the virus itself is actually not all that heat resistant and is not like aids where it permanently stays in your body. Bottom line, it isn't THAT hard to contain if the necessary steps are taken. China has a much higher population than us and they have mostly contained the virus. I have no doubt we will do the same.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got word from my work today that I am to work from home for the next 2 weeks. :headbang:

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
big-lebowski-memes-18.gif

Don't work too hard.
My previous job let me work from home for 6 months. They saw an increase in performance because nobody was around to bug/disturb me. :thumbsup:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I don't give a fuck about the Cover-19. Its an advanced stage of the flu thats it. We been living with it for years

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
haha. Yeah, there's no point in selling. On the other hand, you should buy crude. It always goes up and is the sure thing in energy.
Sponsored