Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
How much would I get for this on EBay :D

03634D6C-980E-426C-8AF2-F7AAD72FB270.jpeg
Speaking of which, here's a handy dandy coronavirus toilet paper roll survival calculator (make sure you use the advanced options for best accuracy): https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/

I'm just glad I use Scott's. A little rough but 1000 sheets per roll. :cool:

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
OH NO the Coronavirus is at the park

Honda Civic 10th gen Coronavirus... E27A91AB-3682-4A0C-AD6D-E6DBA75431FC

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I don't know where to begin with this. Where are you getting your info? For starters - Switzerland's case fatality rate is 4.35%, per the Johns Hopkins tracker here. That's not particularly good, and certainly not the lowest in Europe. Also, if the fatality rate (which is totally unknown at the moment) is "only" 2% - you're looking at a potential US death toll of 6.6 million. And you're comfortable with that? Wtf?

COVID-19 is a highly contagious, fast-moving infection that could easily overwhelm the US healthcare system if left unchecked. Look at the situation in NYC and imagine that across the country. Open things up too early, and thousands more will die. Simple as that.
If you figure the so far fatality rate it's about 4%..in the USA ..I stand corrected. I'm talking per capita of PEOPLE INFECTED NOT 4% of the US population you're figuring wrong! Every American doesn't get this.
Nice dodge of my main point that so far about 22,000 people have died mostly from the Pneumonia from the virus......but 60,000 people die EVERY YEAR from Pneumonia!!??

Caution is good but I think this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion and the numbers show that.
COVID 19 is a COLD VIRUS....it's a family of Virus that we'll probably always have.

There's something much more going on with this, I'm not sure what it is but it's not as straightforward as you think.
Is it because it's a election year?? I don't know, but thousands of people died in 2009 when Obama was president from the Swine Flu Epidemic and you didn't see this panic and closing the economy!

And yes Switzerland's fatality rate at even 4% is one of the lowest in Europe but my point is, if they didn't shut down their economy WHY isn't their fatality rate TRIPLE what other European countries are at since the other countries shut down THEIR economy??

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know, but thousands of people died in 2009 when Obama was president from the Swine Flu Epidemic and you didn't see this panic and closing the economy!

Social distancing has been shown to work. Going back to normal from distancing too quickly has also been shown to cause higher mortality and lead to greater economic damage. Look into the St Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Philadelphia Spanish flu strategies and outcomes

New Zealand has some of the lowest numbers of all. They are on lock down. Korea and Taiwan have used transparency, responsible social practice, and mass testing to keep theirs down. We are doing neither very well in the US.

On top of which we still aren't sure how Covid works. Treatment strategies have shifted over the past couple weeks, but we're still guessing

H1N1 and SARS aren't as contagious, and fizzled out. We have a stock pile of vaccines for them we haven't tested since the need didn't come about. None of them overran hospitals the way Covid is now

Things to think about as well

Last edited:

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I live in South Carolina and the cases have leveled off here the last 3 or 4 days....according to my cell phone info....hopefully headed downward and "maybe" open the country back up end of April or by May 15th or so.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I work in a level 1 trauma center in South Carolina. We haven't seen much yet, but we added multiple critical covid cases over the weekend. We had a spike in non covid traumas (too many quarantinis I guess) and sepsis cases this weekend too.

I pray it stays light here and we don't end up like NYC, Chicago, MI, NOLA, Seattle, et al

Realistically, I think we should wait until June, but I don't think we'll hold out that long

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look into the St Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Philadelphia Spanish flu strategies and outcomes
Yeah... while I haven't look at that data specifically... I did look back overall at Spanish flu a few months back when this thing started to look like it'd turn into something. Spanish flu looked to have had 3 large mortality spikes and it was over 2 years (1918-1920). The world is at 1/4 the timeframe of Spanish flu by that measure... with a larger population and more travel... though WW1 really stirred the pot back then. Thank goodness our medical technology has improved in the last century or we'd of lost a lot more folks that are in poor shape. It's still early... and we should expect that, without an anti-viral if we reopen things, even with as much distancing we can do and good hygiene practices... this is likely a long haul thing, at least through the year. I'm looking forward to everything opening. I just hope we're getting our 'money worth' out of this shutdown. A lot of folks are still having people over and partying a lot and is going to continue to spread it in areas that aren't hard hit. Where I live... it's like COVID isn't a thing at all... even though there's a few cases in my town where there's a good sized hospital people travel a ways to get to. To a lot of people around me, it's a fake news, conspiracy thing.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To a lot of people around me, it's a fake news, conspiracy thing.
That's the rub with social distancing and stay at home policy. Any sort of proactive precaution has that sort of stigma to overcome. When it's working, it minimizes severity and skeptics ask what's the point.

It happens all the time when budget makers look at cost cutting. They see something they think costs too much and go-to a cheaper option only to pay more on the back end. They then see benefit and revert back reactively

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's the rub with social distancing and stay at home policy. Any sort of proactive precaution has that sort of stigma to overcome. When it's working, it minimizes severity and skeptics ask what's the point.

It happens all the time when budget makers look at cost cutting. They see something they think costs too much and go-to a cheaper option only to pay more on the back end. They then see benefit and revert back reactively
Agreed. I've pretty much stopped talking to my neighbors after they kept having parties and invited us and the better 1/2s response was, "No... and why are you having a bunch of people coming over next door? Thanks... but y'all can stay in your yard and, by the way, keep your kids out of my yard." I've gone out of my way time and time again to help these specific folks over the last couple years and have a decent relationship but this kind'a floored me. The sad thing is, I really don't think they get it. They do have their 70-ish year old mother living with them who's only partially recovered from a stroke, so I guess it'll all be fun and games until (if) they bring anything into their home. I've got 2 people in my home with asthma, am an essential worker for my job and have a responsibility to my family, my country and anyone/everyone else who could get sick/die by me passing it along.

Ripples in the pond man... our actions can have far reaching effects. I 100% want things to get back to the way they were as soon as possible and I think the road ahead is one that'll be months long. If this thing follows how Spanish flu did and it hits hard in the cooler months (they keep saying that like the summer is going to save us. Cool... but it is going to get cool again shortly thereafter. We need to be all thinking the long game on this. Shutting down businesses and schools right after the start of a school year is going to be *awful*) and we 1) don't have a vaccination (and I don't know that we will before the fall) and 2) people aren't doing their part to try to prevent the spread... we could have a very rough fall/winter that'll make this spring look like nothing.
Honda Civic 10th gen Coronavirus... 1918_spanish_flu_waves

If we repeat history with Spanish flu and things are 5x worse in the fall than they are at this peak... we going to shut it back down again? Yeah... that'd be awful for the economy... to start her up just to knock it back down.

We're going to open things back up… and we should (eventually). We need to (eventually). The manner in which people conduct themselves is going to make it be successful with minimal loses or an awful thing. If it's minimally bad... I'm sure people will talk until they're blue in the face that it wasn't ever necessary in the first place. That's fine... let them talk... so long as they do their part to prevent the spread until we've got this thing beat. A bitching Sailor is a happy Sailor... and I'll happily hear someone complain something isn't good/worth it/it's a conspiracy once we're on the other side so long as they did their part. This isn't a problem to be conquered at the government level at either the state or federal level. It's a problem we as citizens own the solution to... or will make worse. I don't want/need the government putting me on straight-up on house arrest... and I don't want to live in a country that does that, whether it works or not.

My ugly, off-the-wall thought is we could have just let the original projections come true and let a couple million, mostly elderly die. That's less than 1% of the population... many of them not working anymore. No sweat right? Stop paying a bunch of folks social security and let the younger generation, many of whom can't manage money get a huge wave of inheritance from the death of so many folks. They'll probably would have blown a good portion of that inheritance back into the economy in no time.

Between that ridiculously awful, economy-above-all-else scenario and shutting it all down and hiding from the world... we'll find a happy medium where we manage risk to keep everything going. We'll minimize the risk by people doing what they're supposed to be doing and not being selfish and partying like there's a hurricane skirting the coast. (sigh) Sorry... my neighbors are straight pissing me off. They're grown ass people who act like places like NYC are on Mars. I've lived a lot of places since I've been in the navy... NY one of them. I still have friends living upstate. People acting like things happening outside their state... town... even home... having no bearing on them irks me to no end. No man is an island indeed... maybe I should print that poem out and start sticking it on their doors. Should have done it a few days back on Passover for the sake of irony.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Nice dodge of my main point that so far about 22,000 people have died mostly from the Pneumonia from the virus......but 60,000 people die EVERY YEAR from Pneumonia!!??
I didn't intentionally dodge your comment about pneumonia. I just fail to see the relevance.

Pneumonia can develop for lots of different reasons...exacerbated by risk factors such as compromised immunity, asthma, COPD, certain autoimmune disorders, a history of smoking, diabetes, etcetera. It's a long list. There's no single means by which we can reduce the incidence of pneumonia. On the other hand, COVID-19 related pneumonia - which impacts the young and healthy, not just the elderly and infirm - can be addressed via measures like good hygiene and social distancing. That's how we avoid completely overwhelming our healthcare system, which in turn keeps more people alive.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If you figure the so far fatality rate it's about 4%..in the USA ..I stand corrected. I'm talking per capita of PEOPLE INFECTED NOT 4% of the US population you're figuring wrong! Every American doesn't get this.

Caution is good but I think this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion and the numbers show that.
COVID 19 is a COLD VIRUS....it's a family of Virus that we'll probably always have.

There's something much more going on with this, I'm not sure what it is but it's not as straightforward as you think.
Is it because it's a election year?? I don't know, but thousands of people died in 2009 when Obama was president from the Swine Flu Epidemic and you didn't see this panic and closing the economy!

And yes Switzerland's fatality rate at even 4% is one of the lowest in Europe but my point is, if they didn't shut down their economy WHY isn't their fatality rate TRIPLE what other European countries are at since the other countries shut down THEIR economy??
I keep seeing these figures being used about how X number of people die every year from the flu or pneumonia, or whatever. I think it's important to keep in mind that Covid-19 is only about 2 months old in the US. That said, consider the spread without mitigation over the course of a year, and the statistics will be pretty terrible.
Here's a visualization (click link to view the visual) that demonstrates the CV19 spread compared to other diseases in the US based on the efforts put in place thus far:

Honda Civic 10th gen Coronavirus... Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 8.34.18 AM
https://public.flourish.studio/visu...YltbhPQ4OorWkDZeH5pPV9RmQPC2CZ7oeR7u8pCoL2cgo

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
With time, we realize that the Covid doesn't prey on the elderly only.
Those with diabetes, hypertension, obesity...are also victims.
They don't necessarily die of pneumonia but of heart failure,
kidney problems and neurological problems.
That is what a doctor who works 7 days a week, 12 hours a day in
a New York City hospital said.
As there are a lot of obese, diabetics...in North America, the battle is not won.
In my opinion, we should wait a little longer, then, very gradually, we should
restart the economy, but with protective measures, as long as there is no
effective medicine and a vaccine.
It will take months, maybe years, hoping that one day, we will be able
to live again like before.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag