First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... there's zero cases of this thing in my county. They are... however... not testing for it at all. There's buzz from locals who are getting sick with suspect symptoms but have been refused testing. My surrounding counties have cases.

The boy came down with moderate cold symptoms and as a 102F fever at night... which can be managed with Tylenol. I woke up yesterday feeling fine... then in the evening after I got home, started feeling increasing tightness in my chest. Mild dry cough. This morning? Increasing dry cough. Tight chest. Headache. No fever.

Do I think I have this thing? Maybe... maybe not. The tight chest I'd liken to bad smoke inhalation, which I've had a few times before (submarine running diesel with the ventilation lineup such that you're breaking a lot of diesel fumes for hours). Constant soreness in my check. Very tight. I can take a full breath and hold it though. I let my boss know we're treating symptoms and (fortunately) I don't have work for the next 2 days so I can let it ride and see how this goes. I may very well be required to self-quarantine for a bit though. I feel bad if I was an asymptomatic carrier and was a spreader. I've been transparent and communicative to my boss.

I do think the very limited testing means that 10x-100x of actual cases compared to the confirmed cases may exist. It's still is doing a number of the elderly and ever some middle aged folks. Right now I feel like weird-tight-chested-cold coming on. I would not consider seeking medical aid and would continue treating symptoms unless I have actual difficulty breathing... which is what anyone ought to do. Some folks really need medical intervention to get past the hump on it... and we've got a finite amount of ventilators across the country. I also think that the current steps in quarantine really only are aiding is slowing down the spread and limit critical cases to within the capacity of our medical facilities. This thing will keep spreading even inside limited social circles. Hopefully a vaccination will come out to help those that are high risk in time to make a difference... and those high risk people should absolutely receive top priority in receiving it. It's going to be a crappy next stretch of months for all of us... those folks especially.

Edit: Unless random testing of a large group of people is done, regardless of symptoms, then hit and miss testing of symptomatic people is always going to flawed, IMO. You'll also have the data clipped if lack of testing due to not having them or refusal is going on.

As for conspiracy theories... China is a global leader and competitor with us. This pandemic or no... they will continue to develop and try and carve out an ever increasing slice of the global power/economy pie, as the United States would. I've been waiting for them to effectively do their version of the Monroe Doctrine and challenge our power and place in their region. It's been going on for certainly longer than I've been alive, though their recent rapid growth is pretty amazing. I'd certainly prefer we stay business partners and ally ourselves together than be combatants. Neither the US or China win an open conflict with each other... it's just who would be the lesser of the two losers. My only piece that really is a "conspiracy theory" is that the Chinese may be withholding a still-developing and worsening epidemic in their country... far worse that the data is being reported. I hope they are actually doing as well as they state... but... when I compare their data to other countries and see how, on a logarithmic scale... confirmed cases just level and go flat after trending up rapidly, it seems too good to be true. Given the tough time everyone else is having, and knowing how they are able to control information pretty effectively, well... it's the only conspiracy thing I tend to entertain.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
A question in a Slightly different direction -- ref Cononavirus and cleaning your Civic.

What are the best products to clean the inside surfaces, and touched outside surfaces of your Honda.?

Items like Steering wheels & gear knobs are an obvious target to keep clean, but what can be used that is effective, but will not damage the surface.

Ie can one use Alcohol based products (like Purell) on plastic and leather surfaces, without damaging them.
How about Bleach cleaners like Clorox wipes etc
How safe are even some "Soap" based cleaners, while great at breaking down the outside walls of the Virus, will they potentially damage or leave UN-removable residues on the cars surfaces.

Then on the outside, items like door handles, that are actually painted (with a pathetically thin coat of Clear Coat).. will alcohol base products (like Purell) damage that surface.

Even some Hand Creams may be potentially damaging. At work, many of the office staff use Hand Creams, and it is a real problem with Computer keyboards, as the residue of the Hand Cream on their fingers, eats away at the painted keyboard letters, eventually completely removing any character makings.

Its probably a great idea to keep a bottle of Purell (or similar) in the car, and use it on your hands, as soon as you enter the car, to prevent contaminating the car's internal surfaces.
But how concerned should one be then in touching plastic & leather items, and potentially damaging their surface, ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Coronavirus... s-l640

https://www.ebay.com/i/232926533734?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0

and

Honda Civic 10th gen Coronavirus... 18-1%20gear%20shift%20cover

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may very well be required to self-quarantine for a bit though. I feel bad if I was an asymptomatic carrier and was a spreader. I've been transparent and communicative to my boss.

If you have telemedicine to triage, you should utilize it to be sure you don't have to escalate. Check your temp twice a day

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
The boy came down with moderate cold symptoms and as a 102F fever at night... which can be managed with Tylenol. I woke up yesterday feeling fine... then in the evening after I got home, started feeling increasing tightness in my chest. Mild dry cough. This morning? Increasing dry cough. Tight chest. Headache. No fever.
Praying for you guys!

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Well... there's zero cases of this thing in my county. They are... however... not testing for it at all. There's buzz from locals who are getting sick with suspect symptoms but have been refused testing. My surrounding counties have cases.

Do I think I have this thing? Maybe... maybe not. The tight chest I'd liken to bad smoke inhalation, which I've had a few times before (submarine running diesel with the ventilation lineup such that you're breaking a lot of diesel fumes for hours). Constant soreness in my check. Very tight. I can take a full breath and hold it though. I let my boss know we're treating symptoms and (fortunately) I don't have work for the next 2 days so I can let it ride and see how this goes. I may very well be required to self-quarantine for a bit though. I feel bad if I was an asymptomatic carrier and was a spreader. I've been transparent and communicative to my boss.

I do think the very limited testing means that 10x-100x of actual cases compared to the confirmed cases may exist. It's still is doing a number of the elderly and ever some middle aged folks. Right now I feel like weird-tight-chested-cold coming on. I would not consider seeking medical aid and would continue treating symptoms unless I have actual difficulty breathing... which is what anyone ought to do. Some folks really need medical intervention to get past the hump on it... and we've got a finite amount of ventilators across the country. I also think that the current steps in quarantine really only are aiding is slowing down the spread and limit critical cases to within the capacity of our medical facilities. This thing will keep spreading even inside limited social circles. Hopefully a vaccination will come out to help those that are high risk in time to make a difference... and those high risk people should absolutely receive top priority in receiving it. It's going to be a crappy next stretch of months for all of us... those folks especially.

Edit: Unless random testing of a large group of people is done, regardless of symptoms, then hit and miss testing of symptomatic people is always going to flawed, IMO. You'll also have the data clipped if lack of testing due to not having them or refusal is going on.

As for conspiracy theories... China is a global leader and competitor with us. This pandemic or no... they will continue to develop and try and carve out an ever increasing slice of the global power/economy pie, as the United States would. I've been waiting for them to effectively do their version of the Monroe Doctrine and challenge our power and place in their region. It's been going on for certainly longer than I've been alive, though their recent rapid growth is pretty amazing. I'd certainly prefer we stay business partners and ally ourselves together than be combatants. Neither the US or China win an open conflict with each other... it's just who would be the lesser of the two losers. My only piece that really is a "conspiracy theory" is that the Chinese may be withholding a still-developing and worsening epidemic in their country... far worse that the data is being reported. I hope they are actually doing as well as they state... but... when I compare their data to other countries and see how, on a logarithmic scale... confirmed cases just level and go flat after trending up rapidly, it seems too good to be true. Given the tough time everyone else is having, and knowing how they are able to control information pretty effectively, well... it's the only conspiracy thing I tend to entertain.
I also believe China was definitely under-reporting their numbers. Similar to the U.S., they were reluctant to respond at first and prefer to keep assuring their citizens that "everything is fine" even if that's not exactly true. We all know the story of the doctor who tried to warn everyone at an early stage. I wouldn't trust China's numbers completely either, but we can't deny they are certainly using all their measures and resources at their disposal now to contain this disease in their country (and helping in some places abroad)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have telemedicine to triage, you should utilize it to be sure you don't have to escalate. Check your temp twice a day
Well... we kind of do. There’s a line to call which we tried for him from 1530 to 2200 and could never get through 2 days ago. We did actually get a call back but it was essentially go to ER if conditions worsen to the point hospitalization is needed. I have a number I can call as active duty for me. W/o going to work... I’m letting it ride for the moment. I’ll call it and the master chief before I go back to be cleared. I doubt I’ll be cleared since it isn’t a sure thing I don’t “IT”.
Praying for you guys!
Thanks. I feel ok... other than feeling not ok. The wife and one of the kids has asthma. Not extreme cases but if there’s anyone I’m concerned about, it’s them... and neither one feel bad. We have nebulizer stuff... whatever-you-call it for them as normal... so there is something to help if they do get it and have trouble breathing.

I’m not sure I have “IT” and without testing... I probably never would. The sore/tight sensation in my chest... like moderate to bad smoke inhalation is a symptom unlike anything I’ve had for other colds/flu... so I’m pulling out my...
Honda Civic 10th gen Coronavirus... FABA1A73-6CE7-44C5-B858-690660939C13

...and assuming it’s what it could be. As such I figure I’ll be staying at home for awhile. I’ve got no fever still... I check every few hours and nothing. I’ve read you can have one come up all of a sudden. Dry cough that this morning was producing a little bit but since does nothing. A little sneezing but little. A touch of pressure in the head that I turned with Sudafed. With it, I’d had a mild headache all morning. I woke up at 8... didn’t want to get up and slept until 11. Got it... worked ok some stuff on the computer and felt tire. Back down until
1730. Just getting up again. Feel pretty fatigued still. (shrug) Don’t know. Definitely had had worse colds/flus than what I’m feeling now. The tight/sore chest is just the strange outlier of a symptom... and was the first thing I noticed to make me thing I wasn’t tip-top.

Stay well everyone. I was considered mission-critical so I was at work all last week and it was only by some things that happened that required some work to take a knee through the weekend I wouldn’t still be there. With the symptoms though, I would have been reporting and having an asymptomatic alternate take over for what I’m having to do. That’ll likely still be the course of action come Monday since I can’t be sure.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The wife and one of the kids has asthma. Not extreme cases but if there’s anyone I’m concerned about, it’s them... and neither one feel bad. We have nebulizer stuff...

If any one of them come down with it, have them use their inhalers instead. The nebs spread aerosolized particles.

Be safe

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag

Hope the best for you and your family be well

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
its fake PERIOD
Anyone can decide something is fake if they refuse to believe it... and it’s easy to dismiss something you can’t see without an electron microscope. Deaths are still a tiny... minuscule number when compared to the number of Americans we have and other things that kill Americans. I myself was somewhat dismissive until the numbers started taking off ans exceeded the deaths-from-lightning-strikes annual average of 50. You may consider it fake news... but there are reports coming in from folks that have gotten it and survived where others have not.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...region/new-jersey-family-coronavirus.amp.html

As to me being fake or an actor playing it up in some deep-state conspiracy... you can view post #203 from us being at the Dragon last year and see my family and I... and would have gone this year had it not been canceled. My family and I are real.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/wake...-the-dragon-meet-april-5-7-2019.32850/page-14

This never-before-felt symptom of soreness/tightness from just a cold/flu sure feels real as well. I'm not freaked out about it. I think my family and I are going to be ok. I have some cold medicine to reduce fevers as I always do which I haven't needed but the boy has used and it's been effective. I have food on hand and (the main lifesaver) toilet paper. I always have a couple weeks extra on hand because I live where hurricanes whack us and just had Dorian, which was mostly a non-event, and Irma come through recently and make us hole up and we were fine. The national guard was out handing water and MREs out after Irma. I didn't get any because I didn't need any... but even in a few short days there were folks who were without necessities. I'd accept help if it was needed... but I try to never be without. I didn't have to buy a lot of extra stuff leading up to this... I already had plenty. I'm no prepper... but I am fine to ride out a couple weeks of no grocery vistis from a hurricane which coincidentally matches up with a prescribed quarantine period from this thing.

Good luck. I’m not saying I’ve got coronavirus for certain, but considering I’ll likely never get tested unless I’m hospitalized and they do it to determine advanced care I doubt I’ll need at 37 and healthy... folks can say, “didn’t have it” using bear-shit-in-the-woods logic. Or wait... they do... so do I? Sure won’t be doing anything to negligently spread this whatever-it-is however... which is per a half dozen briefings/forms I’ve had to sign. It looks like roughly 4 out of 5 just get mild symptoms and I'd call mine mild. I think in the next 1-2 years... a large fraction... possibly over 1/2 of everyone will end of having gotten it. Before or after a vaccination comes out? Who knows. Having 3 kids in the house that are little germ magnets and factories who went to school as recently as 5 days ago with hundreds of other little germy-kids means I've got little control as to what came into the house up to that point, despite the schools best efforts to sanitize and push hand-washing. Most of the colds I get originate from a patient-zero kid. (sigh)

Even I think it really is just, "a cold" only a "really bad cold" for some. That can kill you for a fraction. If that small but still substantial fraction gets very sick all at once, it'll overwhelm our great but still capacity-limited medical industry and we're going to be resorting to ER triage for critical cases and folks are going to needlessly die from lack of care. It's already been reported in Italy as being a reality. My mother-in-law effectively has emphysema, though she's not on oxygen (yet) from years of smoking though she's quit and my mom... well... she's old and kind of in bad shape, mostly from a sedentary lifestyle. I'm sure not going to go see them and doing any hugging/kissing on them for awhile. Not that I could with my 100 mile travel restriction.
Sponsored