tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Also correct me if i'm wrong, but this would be Toyota's first in house performance engine in a long time right? Supra uses B58 and the BMW 2.0 Turbo so it's kinda funny to me that the Corolla and Yaris are the cars that are getting this treatment.
Yes and no. The motor being used here is most likely some variant from the Yaris GRMN. The MkI Yaris GRMN used a 1.6L supercharged 3-cyl motor making 210 HP while the MkII turbo charges it instead of supercharge to make 270-275 HP. This motor is most likely some variant of that which is turbo charged to 255-260 HP in what is most likely an FF format.

You are correct that the Supra uses two BMW motors for their turbo charged I6 and I4 motors while the FRS/86 are using a Subaru Boxer 4 motor that is NA.

Edit: keep in mind that the GRMN was designed as a homologation for their Yaris rally car so some of the tech in that motor was moved over to the limited production models. This is the sole reason why the Yaris got this treatment. The Corolla might be a marketing exercise, though people said on Twitter when Toyota asked that they'd buy it. I hope it's successful though so Toyota actually makes more of these cars.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2020-toyota-gr-yaris-racetrack-video-sound/:

...the GR Yaris can scoot to 62 mph in just 5.5 seconds, thanks to its light 2,821-pound curb weight, which also appears to help it fling itself across a track. All GR Yarises feature a six-speed manual, and none will come to the U.S., which may be an extra twist of the knife to anyone excited by how the GR Yaris sounds doing its thing on a track.
For an awd, 2800lb car, a 5.5 0-62 is rather disappointing. With that sort of power to weight ratio and awd, I'd expect mid-high 4 sec runs to 60. So I wager the 257hp is quite overrated. The Corrolla GR is what we'll be getting though, so tack on 250-300lbs more and take away awd. It will likely match GTI performance, though from a tuning pov, I bet that 1.6 3 cylinder won't have anywhere near the aftermarket potential.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
Doesn't some of the Mini Cooper models have a three cylinder motor?

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Also correct me if i'm wrong, but this would be Toyota's first in house performance engine in a long time right? Supra uses B58 and the BMW 2.0 Turbo so it's kinda funny to me that the Corolla and Yaris are the cars that are getting this treatment.
Pretty much. I mean yeah the Supra is the BMW and the 86 is Subaru. But they do make a Corolla with a V6 called Corolla TRD or XSE, which is a good engine but is lacking due to their transmission that came with it. But I think that engine is also used in Lexus.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Pretty much. I mean yeah the Supra is the BMW and the 86 is Subaru. But they do make a Corolla with a V6 called Corolla TRD or XSE, which is a good engine but is lacking due to their transmission that came with it. But I think that engine is also used in Lexus.
Corolla is definitely not available with a V6 in the US. You may be thinking of the Camry and Avalon which have V6 models and TRD models; both of which make 301 HP at the crank while the TRD has updated suspension, trim, rims, and some upgrades to aid in rigidity. Ironically, the TRD Camry is the cheapest way to get a V6 Camry.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Corolla is definitely not available with a V6 in the US. You may be thinking of the Camry and Avalon which have V6 models and TRD models; both of which make 301 HP at the crank while the TRD has updated suspension, trim, rims, and some upgrades to aid in rigidity. Ironically, the TRD Camry is the cheapest way to get a V6 Camry.
Yes thank you for correcting me.

7Ghost_2Alienz_GenXX

First Name
Karo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20XIX Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately, they read this board when developing the Supra. Such a shame.
Can’t expect much from a reputable company that thinks a Z4 in a supra body is cool shit??????? I’ll pass bring back the real yota engines till then I’ll stay on the dark side

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
koenigsegg has an inline 3 engine with 600hp.

jrschultz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Manual
Country flag
I'm excited to drive it at least. I really like the look of the Corolla hatchback. I hope Toyota does a good job with the GR. Competition is a good thing.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Yeah when I saw the Yaris GR it looked like a cool little car but I guess we won’t get it in the US but I read these Rumors that some version of a GR little pseudo hot hatch is coming but it’s a question of what platform. I think I read that they want to make GR versions of different Toyota cars. I just think it’s cool that they want to keep performance alive. :)

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
30K for 257HP.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No.
If they do the interior quality, I can see it being worth that much, but not for performance alone. The Hyundai Veloster N (with PP) would definitely be a better bargain for the performance, but the interior materials leave much to be had. Then again, it may not be the sole reason someone purchases a performance car. I'd also argue there are a lot of people on these forums (even in the CTR segment) that complain about creaks and rattles.

Yeah when I saw the Yaris GR it looked like a cool little car but I guess we won’t get it in the US but I read these Rumors that some version of a GR little pseudo hot hatch is coming but it’s a question of what platform. I think I read that they want to make GR versions of different Toyota cars. I just think it’s cool that they want to keep performance alive. :)
Toyota has been doing GR versions of a lot of their cars for a little while now. Note there are differences between GR and GRMN variants. GRMN (what the Yaris is) is extremely and almost utterly performance-based models. GR typically includes light performance upgrades but may generally only consist of cosmetic enhancements (maybe suspension).

That being said, it would be nice to see some competition coming from Toyota.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification! I was getting all warm and fuzzy thinking very Toyota was getting a performance version but I guess it may very well equate to only an appearance package.

Guess I won’t be seeing a Toyota Sienna with a revamped twin turbo 2JZengine anytime soon...:D
Sponsored