tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification! I was getting all warm and fuzzy thinking very Toyota was getting a performance version but I guess it may very well equate to only an appearance package.

Guess I won’t be seeing a Toyota Sienna with a revamped twin turbo 2JZengine anytime soon...:D
My remark probably caused more confusion than clarification, sorry about that. Most GR trims are not entirely performance based. This one definitely would be considered performance based. They have a variant of the Yaris GRMN motor in this if rumors are to be believed.
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Is it clear whether the GR Corolla is gonna be the current gen or next gen?

Current gen = meh, it's not too bad looking but the car is heavy and trunk is way too small.

Next gen lighter weight and it might be interesting.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
My remark probably caused more confusion than clarification, sorry about that. Most GR trims are not entirely performance based. This one definitely would be considered performance based. They have a variant of the Yaris GRMN motor in this if rumors are to be believed.
No worries, I’m easily confused to begin with...:confused1:

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
BMW i8 also has a 3 cylinder turbo.
when I worked at Acura of Boston one of the most fun used cars I prepped was a 1993 Geo Metro convertible which had a 3 cylinder engine. It looked like I could fit it in my back pack!

Honda Civic 10th gen Corolla GR 112618-1991-Geo-Metro-LSi-convertible-2-630x390

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Seems people missed the boat here on the 3rd generation Honda Fit, not Honda. That L15B engine is beautiful and revs out nicely. Didn't seem to get much love over here. I thought (and still do) that it is a great little N/A engine.

Not saying it can compete with this here Yaris, which seems awesome in its own right. But if there was a lot of love for the 3rd generation Fit, perhaps we would've been getting a turbocharged 4th generation Fit.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems people missed the boat here on the 3rd generation Honda Fit, not Honda. That L15B engine is beautiful and revs out nicely. Didn't seem to get much love over here. I thought (and still do) that it is a great little N/A engine.

Not saying it can compete with this here Yaris, which seems awesome in its own right. But if there was a lot of love for the 3rd generation Fit, perhaps we would've been getting a turbocharged 4th generation Fit.
My mother has a fit and it’s great little car. Small but lots of room. So easy to get in and out of. I haven’t really driven it much or very hard but it’s like a little go kart the way it handles. Very light on its feet.

Would be funny to see a performance version of it.

Could call it “Honda fiType R”

Last edited:

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I loved my Fiesta SFE with the 1.0L turbo triple. Great car, great engine. Ford now uses that engine in the EcoSport, and it uses a modified version of the current (UK only) Fiesta ST's 1.5L turbo triple in the new Escape.

The first gen Insight and the 8th gen Civic Hybrid used Honda's 3 cylinder E0 series. The P series is in Japan's best selling car.

3 cylinders aren't "going" to be mass-market, they already are.
I actually am curious how they'll be taken in the US market when the GR Corolla eventually makes its way here. Granted the GR Corolla isn't targeted towards the general population (more so a niche one). I've never actually heard an I3 motor before either :p

Edit: granted this is old, but we do have this thing as well that Nissan did a while back... https://www.motorauthority.com/news...hp-3-cylinder-engine-confirms-2015-lmp1-entry

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I actually am curious how they'll be taken in the US market when the GR Corolla eventually makes its way here. Granted the GR Corolla isn't targeted towards the general population (more so a niche one). I've never actually heard an I3 motor before either :p

Edit: granted this is old, but we do have this thing as well that Nissan did a while back... https://www.motorauthority.com/news...hp-3-cylinder-engine-confirms-2015-lmp1-entry
Man, think how easy it would be to pull that engine!!! So cute! That’s like when I saw the engine in Geo Metro, especially as it wasn’t covered in wires and vacuum hoses. Like you could just yank it out.

this is a interesting car, the Honda Beat. There’s a widebody for sale in NH and it uses the I3 engine too. I guess they are very addictive to drive according to this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...-beat-because-it-will-ruin-you-1835334327/amp

Honda Civic 10th gen Corolla GR 3D76D47B-7A65-451B-843D-50CA659424C0

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Man, think how easy it would be to pull that engine!!! So cute! That’s like when I saw the engine in Geo Metro, especially as it wasn’t covered in wires and vacuum hoses. Like you could just yank it out.

this is a interesting car, the Honda Beat. There’s a widebody for sale in NH and it uses the I3 engine too. I guess they are very addictive to drive according to this article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopn...-beat-because-it-will-ruin-you-1835334327/amp

3D76D47B-7A65-451B-843D-50CA659424C0.png
Kei cars are very popular in Japan. There's a coworker at my work that drives a Cappuccino. It's also a 3-cylinder (never heard it fired up though). This class of car basically out-momentum-cars the Miata! Unfortunately if you want any of these, they have to be imported at some point from the JDM. I wonder how popular the Honda S660 will be when it's allowed in the States.