tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Source is from Car and Driver, for now still all rumors. Any thoughts? I'll add more as I find more.

From how it reads, it sounds like it'll remain a front wheel drive platform (unlike the new Yaris GRMN) and put 257 HP to the crank. I feel like this puts it in line with the Veloster N (no PP) and GTI and maybe slightly above the Si, but only slightly. Hopefully Toyota puts in an LSD and a manual. Expected to price around 30k (you can get a lot of car for 30k). Kind of sad to see that they won't be modding the 2.0L motor and instead drop a 1.6L.

Again, most of all this is rumor at this point.
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I don't know which tiny engine is more bemusing, Honda's 1.5L 4-cylinder, or Toyota's 1.6L 3-cylinder...
I would say a 3-cylinder engine would never sell here in the land of V8s, but the Civic's 1.5L seems to be doing just fine so far o_O

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't know which tiny engine is more bemusing, Honda's 1.5L 4-cylinder, or Toyota's 1.6L 3-cylinder...
I would say a 3-cylinder engine would never sell here in the land of V8s, but the Civic's 1.5L seems to be doing just fine so far o_O
Yeah, I've no clue how the 3-cylinder will sell here in the states. Though this car is targeted at enthusiasts, so they'll know what it can do.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
I hope that Toyota reads this board and only sticks a DCT automatic in it.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I've also read that this concept is coming out. It's supposed to directly compete with the VW GTI. So I'm guessing there's going to be both an auto and manual option. Also with the new 86 GR coming out next year, Toyota is stepping it up from being a reliable grocery getter to your reliable cannon warrior.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've also read that this concept is coming out. It's supposed to directly compete with the VW GTI. So I'm guessing there's going to be both an auto and manual option. Also with the new 86 GR coming out next year, Toyota is stepping it up from being a reliable grocery getter to your reliable cannon warrior.
There are some exciting things on the horizon. Do we know if another boxer motor is going int the 86?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Yeah, I've no clue how the 3-cylinder will sell here in the states. Though this car is targeted at enthusiasts, so they'll know what it can do.
Maybe i'm thinking really old school but I would be wary of modding a turbocharged 3 cylinder that's already kind of stressed putting out 250+ HP. I feel like pushing it anything beyond that would seriously reduce the longevity of it but idk could be wrong.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Maybe i'm thinking really old school but I would be wary of modding a turbocharged 3 cylinder that's already kind of stressed putting out 250+ HP. I feel like pushing it anything beyond that would seriously reduce the longevity of it but idk could be wrong.
It would be a lot of fun and quite a challenge, a lot of people like that sort of thing ;) But yes, pushing a motor that's probably already pushed quite a bit might lead to some longevity issues. But that's always a risk when it comes to modding ;)

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
There are some exciting things on the horizon. Do we know if another boxer motor is going int the 86?
Supposedly it's going to be another boxer engine coming from Subaru Ascent which has a 2.4 boxer + turbo.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
It would be a lot of fun and quite a challenge, a lot of people like that sort of thing ;) But yes, pushing a motor that's probably already pushed quite a bit might lead to some longevity issues. But that's always a risk when it comes to modding ;)
Yeah I get that, just if I were buying a car (especially new) with the intention of modding then I would go with something with a decent amount of headroom before it starts to gets sketchy. Wouldn't have much faith in a 3 cylinder but who knows, its Toyota so the engine could be rock solid like the little brother of the 2JZ or something :cool:

forum_user

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 fz-07
Country flag
plenty of 3 cylinder bikes are sold here. 3 cylinder motors sound great. Cautiously hyped for this

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Also correct me if i'm wrong, but this would be Toyota's first in house performance engine in a long time right? Supra uses B58 and the BMW 2.0 Turbo so it's kinda funny to me that the Corolla and Yaris are the cars that are getting this treatment.
Sponsored