Cooling

VTECMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 570s
Country flag
Hi All

I know this is much discussed but want to address this before I return to Nurburgring, I am of the camp that believes the standard car has plenty of power, but feel this is restrictive due to the heat management. I don’t want to spend a fortune.

What would you suggest? In the U.K.

Thanks

Matt

Honda Civic 10th gen Cooling 669DC34C-4C1D-4472-A1E0-E7B49062CE39
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have read that the Honda's new drop in radiator for the 2020 year is actually an improvement over the 2017-2019, there are 3rd parties too like Spoon and PWR. Oil coolers (Greddy, Mishimoto, etc.) are also very popular as well. Acuity also has their tubing that reverses the direction of coolant through the radiator which can be useful. Quick bolt in, though it's a bit pricey and some feel there might be better for the cost; it's normally seen as one of the last things you do to the car to deal with coolant temps. Honda Performance Development engineers don't feel that a bigger intercooler is necessary for the CTR as they are opting for the new radiator, high flow grill and front splitter alterations (to offset the lost downforce of the grill) instead. Despite this, this is something that is done quite a bit and mostly bolt on. If you do go this route, a tube and fin design is probably going to work better for you over a bar and plate (what OEM uses).

Costs overall:
  • Honda's 2020 radiator runs about 160 bucks at retail (cheaper can easily be found). It's a complete drop in/bolt on. 3rd parties like Spoon and PWR may go as high was 1000 dollars and perform better than Honda's OEM offerings.
  • Acuity's radiator tubing/hosing will bring you down about 150 dollars, though you probably would get a far better gain per dollar with a new radiator, even an intercooler or oil cooler may be a better use of money.
  • Oil coolers for the FK8 will run you about 600 bucks.
  • Intercoolers for the FK8 will run you anywhere from 500-1000 dollars with a load of variety (PRL, HKS, Greddy, 27Won, Perrin, Mishimoto, etc.).

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have read that the Honda's new drop in radiator for the 2020 year is actually an improvement over the 2017-2019, there are 3rd parties too like Spoon and PWR. Oil coolers (Greddy, Mishimoto, etc.) are also very popular as well. Acuity also has their tubing that reverses the direction of coolant through the radiator which can be useful. Quick bolt in, though it's a bit pricey and some feel there might be better for the cost; it's normally seen as one of the last things you do to the car to deal with coolant temps. Honda Performance Development engineers don't feel that a bigger intercooler is necessary for the CTR as they are opting for the new radiator, high flow grill and front splitter alterations (to offset the lost downforce of the grill) instead. Despite this, this is something that is done quite a bit and mostly bolt on. If you do go this route, a tube and fin design is probably going to work better for you over a bar and plate (what OEM uses).

Costs overall:
  • Honda's 2020 radiator runs about 160 bucks at retail (cheaper can easily be found). It's a complete drop in/bolt on. 3rd parties like Spoon and PWR may go as high was 1000 dollars and perform better than Honda's OEM offerings.
  • Acuity's radiator tubing/hosing will bring you down about 150 dollars, though you probably would get a far better gain per dollar with a new radiator, even an intercooler or oil cooler may be a better use of money.
  • Oil coolers for the FK8 will run you about 600 bucks.
  • Intercoolers for the FK8 will run you anywhere from 500-1000 dollars with a load of variety (PRL, HKS, Greddy, 27Won, Perrin, Mishimoto, etc.).
Source on the HPD claim and is that for their TCs? I believe they ran CSF radiators and oil coolers.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Source on the HPD claim and is that for their TCs? I believe they ran CSF radiators and oil coolers.
HPD claim is based on the TC. They do run. ore than just the radiator though, you're right. Talking about HPD was meant to say they're still using the stock intercooler.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
HPD radiator is made by CSF and is 52mm thick. It requires removal of AC condenser.

my recommendations for cooling:

1. HKS/USR/PWR oil cooler side mounted
2. PWR radiator or OEM 2020 if youre on a budget
3. Venting the front grill and hood
4. Reduce engine bay temps through thermal barriers. Reflective tape, titanium wrap, turbo blankets etc
5. Acuity radiator hoses

Any power adder will create more heat. This means intakes, intercoolers, downpipes, and tunes.

shipdawg

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2004 WRX STi, & 2019 Honda HRV EX
Country flag
HPD radiator is made by CSF and is 52mm thick. It requires removal of AC condenser.

my recommendations for cooling:

1. HKS/USR/PWR oil cooler side mounted
2. PWR radiator or OEM 2020 if youre on a budget
3. Venting the front grill and hood
4. Reduce engine bay temps through thermal barriers. Reflective tape, titanium wrap, turbo blankets etc
5. Acuity radiator hoses

Any power adder will create more heat. This means intakes, intercoolers, downpipes, and tunes.
Where is the best places to put tape? I have a roll of gold heat tape that I bought but haven’t figured out where to put it yet

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Where is the best places to put tape? I have a roll of gold heat tape that I bought but haven’t figured out where to put it yet
Do you have any mods? I wrapped my entire PRL airbox and wrapped my HKS intercooler pipes. I noticed a significant improvement in IATs.

shipdawg

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2004 WRX STi, & 2019 Honda HRV EX
Country flag
Do you have any mods? I wrapped my entire PRL airbox and wrapped my HKS intercooler pipes. I noticed a significant improvement in IATs.
Nada, I'm all stock except catback and wheels/tires.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Nada, I'm all stock except catback and wheels/tires.
I would wrap the intake box and wrap your intake inlet pipe. I haven't tested it myself but it should help.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I would wrap the intake box and wrap your intake inlet pipe. I haven't tested it myself but it should help.
Do you have a link to the wrap you used for your intake? How much of an improvement in IATs?

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Do you have a link to the wrap you used for your intake? How much of an improvement in IATs?
I used DEI reflect-a-gold and bought it on amazon. I noticed a consistent 4F improvement on IAT2. It heat soaked much slower and cooled down quicker too. Hard to quantify that data though.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I used DEI reflect-a-gold and bought it on amazon. I noticed a consistent 4F improvement on IAT2. It heat soaked much slower and cooled down quicker too. Hard to quantify that data though.
I gotcha. I just ordered the PRL intake and it should be here next week. Trying to figure out if I should wrap it before install. I assume it doesn’t impact the sound because the filter is still exposed? Not the highest priority but I am definitely looking forward to the new sound

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I gotcha. I just ordered the PRL intake and it should be here next week. Trying to figure out if I should wrap it before install. I assume it doesn’t impact the sound because the filter is still exposed? Not the highest priority but I am definitely looking forward to the new sound
Wrapping the box for me made a significant difference. Check my build thread

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Has anyone completed an install of a radiator without an oil cooler?

Looking at the service manual, from what I can tell there seems to be an existing oil cooler running into the primary coolant loop.

Based on that, surely an overall cost effective option would be to start with the radiator - Higher capacity & exchange properties creating a larger "sink" as well as ditching the heat more quickly. As there's already an oil cooler in the loop, it'll bring down ECT, Oil Temps as well as gearbox temps.

An issue for OP, Being in the UK is that other than the Sirimoto (IIRC) offering, all of the other oil coolers require deletion of the ACC Radar - Something I'd really rather not do! (Being a UK owner myself)

Perhaps best call would be for a Radiator upgrade (2020? Koyo? Dream? (Dream radiator is only ~£450 IIRC)) and the 2020 Grille & Splitter. - Least intrusive, not too costly and a comprehensive improvement.
Sponsored