Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've already written quite a few posts regarding the new TSP Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T non-Si (CVT). This one will be more detailed with some datalog screenshots to put some numbers to the words. When I first got he tune, my first impression was that it was smooth down low and potent up top. Felt like a more polished tune than the base KTuner tunes I was running. After more driving with it, I started to feel like the low end was a let down. It felt smooth but not as peppy (at part throttle) as my KTuner starter 21 with aggressive settings. I was even thinking of going back to the aggressive Starter 21. But I wanted to try one last test...

Today I did an extended test of the tune in nice cool weather (mid 60's), and the tune really woke up. For the most part it's been hot and humid here and we all know heat kills our turbo tunes. So, honestly, a lot of my earlier posts were based on a less than best case scenario.

Here are my impressions and findings from today's test in mild weather:

A couple observations to start things off. My fuel trims were excellent with this tune. LTFT pretty much stayed at around -2 or 3. Knock Control for the most part stayed near .49 and the highest I saw (after consecutive WOT runs) was .67, which fairly quickly dropped down. I was shocked how low my IAT's stayed. Seeing numbers those low numbers put a smile on my face and made my engine happy. Basically everything ran beautifully. This car loves cooler ambient temps.

OK, so let's talk about the actual test. I did a 35 minute loop. The great things was, going out 6AM on a Saturday, traffic was non-existent. I did a bunch of WOT pulls with Map 3 and tested out the 16.5 map as well. And I made a datalog of everything.

The 16.5 map is pretty much what our stock tune should have been. It's smooth but still offers a good amount of fun. At one point with me being the only car on the highway, I gunned it. I went from 70mph to 107mph before backing off. It felt great. Honestly this map is a big step up from stock and it would be more than enough power for many drivers. Here's a screen shot showing the moment my boost hit the target at WOT:

Honda Civic 10th gen Cooler weather testing of the TSP Stage 1 (non-Si) tune Capture2.GIF

This run was done after I had already done a few pulls on Map 3. The IAT's are still nice and low considering how hard I had been pushing the car. Looking at the numbers, the tune appears to be targeting 17 psi and I hit 17.6 psi. This is a solid daily drive type tune. No complaints.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's go onto the star of the show. The full TSP Stage 1 Map 3 tune. I want to first say that even though the tune definitely feels softer down low than my aggressive Starter 21, it's still very good at lower engine speeds. It's just set up differently. The TSP tune is smooth down low, has a solid midrange and takes off like a scalded cat after 4,000 rpm.

During the test run, I did several WOT pulls with Map 3. The rush of power is phenomenal once it ramps up. On the datalog I'm posting below, I observed something interesting. I put the pedal to the metal and looked at the PSI and at first glance only saw 20 PSI. I had a WTF moment for a split second... "This is making less PSI than my KTuner 21 ???"

Well, my puzzled frown turned to a big grin in milliseconds. PSI kept building and building. Where she stops nobody knows... :cool:

So here it is. The screen shot of the moment my boost peaked out:

Honda Civic 10th gen Cooler weather testing of the TSP Stage 1 (non-Si) tune Capture

So, for those who have been wondering what the actual highest boost target is in Map 3, it appears to be at least 23 psi. I overshot that number and hit 26.3 psi... :cool: I had to double check my pants after that, but that's another story. ;) I think the highest target I saw on the datalog was 23.1 but I swear it was still climbing before I backed off.

Needless to say, I was impressed. And even though I was driving my car EXTREMELY hard for a portion of my test loop I still averaged 34 mpg. Overall, this is a great tune and highly recommended.

Finally, even after 30 minutes of hard driving my numbers still looked fantastic. Gotta love 60 degree weather!

Honda Civic 10th gen Cooler weather testing of the TSP Stage 1 (non-Si) tune nCapture.GIF

Note to self: Don't do testing with hot and humid weather.

Last edited:

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Excellent write-up and great information with the screenshots. TC target hits 24psi for me on Hondata, and flutters around that once it hits. Where's your AFR settling at WOT?

I definitely agree about the low RPM, part throttle thing. It's definitely less "snappy", but to be honest I really like that it is. On the basemap, it was almost kind of a jolt when it would take off, which at times was unpleasant to me. I still feel like it's engaging just as much power, but the lead up is so much smoother.

The real beauty of it is, like you said, when it cracks 4k RPM. Beyond that it just really feels like a damn racecar, and it definitely gives the illusion that there's something much larger and much more mean under the hood.

I'd spend twice as much on this tune if I had to. It really is an enormous improvement over the basemaps.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Good to see some data and read more detail about the tune. I always like to read some reviews before I buy something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, bud, for sharing your experience for people with the CVT. It’s been long overdue for a TSP tune.

dldaves

First Name
Darius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've already written quite a few posts detailing my impressions of the new TSP Stage 1 tune for the 1.5T non-Si (CVT). But, this one will be the most detailed and with some datalog screenshots to put some numbers to the words. My quick impression of the tune when I first got it was that it was smooth down low and potent up top. Felt like a more polished tune than the base KTuner tunes I was running. After more driving with it I started to feel like the low end was a let down. It felt smooth but not as peppy (at part throttle) as my KTuner starter 21 with aggressive settings. Well, today I did an extended test of the tune in nice cool weather (mid 60's), and the tune really woke up. For the most part it's been hot and humid here and we all know that kills our turbo tunes.

Here are my impressions and findings from today's test in mild weather:

A couple observations to start things off. My fuel trims were excellent with this tune. LTFT pretty much stayed at around -2 or 3. Knock Control for the most part stayed near .49 and the highest I saw (after consecutive WOT runs) was .67, which fairly quickly dropped down. I was shocked how low my IAT's stayed. Seeing numbers those low numbers put a smile on my face and made my engine happy. Basically everything ran beautifully. This car loves cooler ambient temps.

OK, so let's talk about the actual test. I did a 35 minute loop. The great things was, going out 6AM on a Saturday, traffic was non-existent. I did a bunch of WOT pulls with Map 3 and tested out the 16.5 map as well. And I made a datalog of everything.

The 16.5 map is pretty much what our stock tune should have been. It's smooth but still offers a good amount of fun. At one point with me being the only car on the highway, I gunned it. I went from 70mph to 107mph before backing off. It felt great. Honestly this map is a big step up from stock and it would be more than enough power for many drivers. Here's a screen shot showing the moment my boost hit the target at WOT:

Capture2.GIF

This run was done after I had already done a few pulls on Map 3. The IAT's are still nice and low considering how hard I had been pushing the car. Looking at the numbers, the tune appears to be targeting 17 psi and I hit 17.6 psi. This is a solid daily drive type tune. No complaints.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's go onto the star of the show. The full TSP Stage 1 Map 3 tune. I want to first say that even though the tune definitely feels softer down low than my aggressive Starter 21, it's still very good at lower engine speeds. It's just set up differently. The TSP tune is smooth down low, has a solid midrange and takes off like a scalded cat after 4,000 rpm.

During the test run, I did several WOT pulls with Map 3. The rush of power is phenomenal once it ramps up. On the datalog I'm posting below, I observed something interesting. I put the pedal to the metal and looked at the PSI and at first glance only saw 20 PSI. I had a WTF moment for a split second... "This is making less PSI than my KTuner 21 ???"

Well, my puzzled frown turned to a big grin in milliseconds. PSI kept building and building. Where she stops nobody knows... :cool:

So here it is. The screen shot of the moment my boost peaked out:

Capture.jpg

So, for those who have been wondering what the actual highest boost target is in Map 3, it appears to be at least 23 psi. I overshot that number and hit 26.3 psi... :cool: I had to double check my pants after that, but that's another story. ;) I think the highest target I saw on the datalog was 23.1 but I swear it was still climbing before I backed off.

Needless to say, I was impressed. And even though I was driving my car EXTREMELY hard for a portion of my test loop I still averaged 34 mpg. Overall, this is a great tune and highly recommended.

Finally, even after 30 minutes of hard driving my numbers still looked fantastic. Gotta love 60 degree weather!

nCapture.GIF

Note to self: Don't do testing with hot and humid weather.
did you custom set your boost per gear the only thing I changed was the vsa to aggressive light throttle and its smooth but damn its fast feels dangerous lol

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Out of the box the only BBG limit is 18psi in 1st. I left it as is. I also just updated the KTuner software that includes Advanced VSA but haven't used it yet. When I do, I think I'm just going to use the middle settings cause I have the stock cat. Was there a huge difference with the aggressive ignition pullback setting?

Where's your AFR settling at WOT?
I just checked the datalog and when I did the WOT pull and hit 26.3, AFR CMD was at 11.3 and actual AFR was 11.58 ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Papayank,

My only difference from stock is the tune, and a "stage 1" PRL silicone intake hose /aFe Pro Dry S filter.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The easy answer would be a cold air intake like the PRL Cobra and a better intercooler. But first maybe you could upload a datalog so we can look at it and maybe see if we notice anything "off". Your IAT numbers were sky high if I remember.

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh ok ...so what do u thick can help with better IAT ?
The most direct and simple mods to improve IATs would be, as @gtman said, a cold air intake and a better intercooler.

Indirectly, you can find ways to better manage engine bay heat. A more free flowing grill and some heat wrapping are some ideas.

Even things like a bigger turbo, flex fuel, and a more free flowing exhaust (from the turbo, back) can help with heat management.

Last edited:

theblackdogman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I'm just going to strap a portable A/C to the front of the car. It's going to be awesome.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just going to strap a portable A/C to the front of the car. It's going to be awesome.
That's funny.

I guess you could do that and it might help with F/R weight distribution and maybe help your IAT's, but the extra weight and aerodynamic drag could be the downfall.:p

Would be unique though. ;)

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I hear PRL is coming out with a window unit that mounts to the radiator.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cooler weather testing of the TSP Stage 1 (non-Si) tune C1E0A995-7C7A-4809-A5E0-09CEC88BC8F5

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hear PRL is coming out with a window unit that mounts to the radiator.

C1E0A995-7C7A-4809-A5E0-09CEC88BC8F5.jpeg
Wow. I heard Mishimoto had one of those in development. I see PRL beat 'em to it.
Sponsored