1.5T Coolant leak and cylinder misfires. Don’t know a ton about cars so would really appreciate the help.

MPerM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hey everyone, I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I don't know if everything is related or not, but I figure that too much info is better than not enough.

~75K miles. Bought it with ~30K two years ago. Have always had oil changed on time. All stock.

About a month ago I had a very slow coolant leak. Around this time, I'd also hear the sound of water moving but only when taking off from a stop. I finally found the leak — a small hose connecting to the turbo inlet pipe — and replaced it. I monitored the coolant level for the next week or so, and everything seemed good.

A few days ago I made a two hour long trip (each way). On the way back, my friend and I heard a loud backfire but thought it came from another car as we were in heavy traffic on the interstate; I'm still not sure it was my car or another. However, after stopping to eat and returning to the interstate, I accelerated quickly to merge and then suddenly had an extreme loss of power, my CEL came on blinking, and my car went into limp mode. I actually had no idea what this was/meant and so, after having pulled over and turning the car off for several minutes, drove it the rest of the way back home with no issues or warning lights. I did stop and have the codes ran — Cylinder Misfire 3, 4, and Random Misfires.

Checking things out the next day, I noticed it sounds to be idling rough but the rpm's aren't bouncing. The coolant reservoir was bone dry and there seems to be some kind of residue or grime in it but I'm not sure if it's normal (it doesn’t smell like fuel). The pressurized cap looks clean and the inside of the oil cap looks normal. The passenger side heat is not blowing hot. I pulled the spark plugs which are pictured in the link. The shaft(?) of the coil pack pulled from the furthest driver side plug was wrapped in electrical tape which I took off and don't notice anything broken. The photos also show that some kind of grime around the valve cover that you’ll see and, although not pictured, there was a bunch of black greasy grime on the outside of one of the intercooler hoses. I also noticed the intake tube purge jet was completely without bolts holding it together. It’s pointed out in the photos linked and, although not pictured, when I pulled it apart there is either oil or fuel present; not sure if either is supposed to flow through there but I would have assumed just air/fumes since it’s part of the evap system? I wonder if it could account for the grime on the valve cover. Lastly, part of the seal around the dipstick is broken.

Okay, I think that’s it. I think I have a hunch as to what it likely is, but a couple things give me pause like the purge jet not being securely fastened. Thanks for reading all this and any help or suggestions you can provide.

[
Sponsored

OP
OP

MPerM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Sorry mods, I didn’t think this posted and then found (what I think) was the more appropriate place for the post.