Coolant in Cold Climates

NightStalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So I must be horrible at searching or the question was never asked but here it goes.

I live in Northern Canada, its going to dip below -42C (-43.6F For my American brothers) and hover around those temperatures for the foreseeable future.

I own a 2017 Civic SI, I noticed two things. One, the coolant level is wayyyy low (I guess the dealership didn't fill it like they said they would when it was in for warranty work) and secondly the manual states the mix is good up to about -35C/F cant remember which.

My question is can you mix the Type 2 fluid safely with something else? And does Honda sell the OEM coolant without a pre-mix? I'm not sure how else to throw in a higher coolant concentration without flushing the whole system with a non-oem brand coolant and mixing it with water myself.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
" And does Honda sell the OEM coolant without a pre-mix?"
- NightStalker

Phone call to your Honda Dealer in your cold area, he must know what you need.

The concentration of antifreeze in the coolant also needs to be checked prior to the onset of cold weather. A 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water is recommended and will protect against freezing down to -34 degrees F and boil over protection to 263 degrees F.

For maximum protection, up to a 70% mixture of antifreeze can be used for freezing protection to -84 degrees F.

CAUTION: Do not use more than 70% antifreeze, and never run straight water in the cooling system because it offers no corrosion, freezing or boil over protection.

https://www.hondaoakland.com/service/service-tips.htm

Never mix coolant :

https://tap.fremontmotors.com/trusted-auto-professionals/mix-different-types-coolant

OP
OP

NightStalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
" And does Honda sell the OEM coolant without a pre-mix?"
- NightStalker

Phone call to your Honda Dealer in your cold area, he must know what you need.

The concentration of antifreeze in the coolant also needs to be checked prior to the onset of cold weather. A 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water is recommended and will protect against freezing down to -34 degrees F and boil over protection to 263 degrees F.

For maximum protection, up to a 70% mixture of antifreeze can be used for freezing protection to -84 degrees F.

CAUTION: Do not use more than 70% antifreeze, and never run straight water in the cooling system because it offers no corrosion, freezing or boil over protection.

https://www.hondaoakland.com/service/service-tips.htm

Never mix coolant :

https://tap.fremontmotors.com/trusted-auto-professionals/mix-different-types-coolant
There are no Honda dealers around unfortunately.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Where are you going for car maintenance ?

Wait for some more answer, all forum member are at work now .

OP
OP

NightStalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I would use this diluted to about 70% or according to whatever it says on the label.
It's made in Canada so I guess must be available there.

https://www.pepboys.com/oem-antifre...issan-subaru-with-blue-coolant/product/879925
You think maybe it would be good to flush the system first?

Also the shop I went to mentioned they tested the coolant and it showed a freezing point up to -43 or so. I called my dealer down south I bought the car from and they usually only fill the 50/50 mix in the cars they sell soooo this has been interesting indeed.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you have this tool ? It is cheap. You'll see what is the freezing point.
Youp shop test it at -43 , you don't truss them ?

Test it with a “coolant hydrometer” available at any auto parts store. This inexpensive device measures the specific gravity of the coolant. It does not, however, tell you anything of the corrosion protection capabilities remaining in the coolant. Simply insert the tip of the hydrometer into the antifreeze and pull some into the chamber, enough that the float lifts free. The reading tells you the freeze protection.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/antifreeze

Honda Civic 10th gen Coolant in Cold Climates Capture d’écran, le 2020-01-15 à 05.29.14

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
It wouldn't make any damage if you add a cup or so of coolant (coolant for all cars). I used to live in Cold Lake (north of Alberta) and I mixed about 60/40 for coolant. We had about the same temperature than Yellowknife.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You think maybe it would be good to flush the system first?
Safer to buy a coolant made for Honda car
I don't believe it's possible that the Honda coolant used since 2001 or so on all their cars has anything special about it. It is generic. Any major brand coolant of the exact same type should be just fine. Honda doesn't use any special metals or materials in all their cars for decades that's different from all the other engines that use the same type of coolant.

So I would not have any problem mixing the above coolant with Honda Type 2 based on a careful calculation based on volumes etc. if you actually need lower freezing temp. But if you add too much ethylene glycol the freezing temperature will actually rise. Pure ethylene glycol will freeze at about negative 12 C.

You can test by mixing them in a jar. No cloudiness or solids should appear. Maybe even the label also says you can mix them. Or you can drain, flush, refill for exact composition.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Last edited: