Coolant change: Intake Air Resonator Removal???

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
The manual makes reference to removing the Intake Air Resonator when changing coolant on a 1.5T car. I don't know what this resonator is, but a google search suggest it a large part of the air box, and not easy to remove. Can someone please explain what this part is, and what's involved with removing it?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
It’s a large plastic piece below the stock air box and sort of behind the fog light. I had to remove mine to install my front power brace, and would have removed it anyway to install my intake.

By design, it functions to reduce air intake noise. That’s all.

OP
OP
Nessism

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I kind of figured it was part of the airbox, but what is it blocking relative to changing the coolant? Access to block or radiator drain petcocks?

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
Yes, it's in the way of the lower radiator drain.

Taking the resonator off isn't too bad, the bottom front bolt can be a bit of a _itch to get to, however it is possible.

Putting it that bolt back in though is a whole different challenge! Many people don't bother to put the resonator back in at all. Other than a very, very small intake noise reduction, it seems to serve no real purpose.

stanleywinthrop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Yes, it's in the way of the lower radiator drain.

Taking the resonator off isn't too bad, the bottom front bolt can be a bit of a _itch to get to, however it is possible.

Putting it that bolt back in though is a whole different challenge! Many people don't bother to put the resonator back in at all. Other than a very, very small intake noise reduction, it seems to serve no real purpose.
Add me to this group. Last night I installed a PRL clutchline. By the time I was done it was late, and after 5 minutes of monkeying to get the resonator back in with no substantial progress I said F*** it and left it out. I've noticed no real difference in how it drives. On the plus side, when it comes time to do a coolant change, things will me much easier because the petcock is easily accessible now once the aluminum splash shield is removed.
Sponsored