Convince me to buy or not buy 2019 CTR. Am I making a dumb decision?

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The only thing that bothers me about this is the loosing money on the Accord. Does the wife drive stick? Let her takeover the Accord and you get the Type r. Putting money down on a car is silly with interest rates as low as they are. Your income minus expenses looks to allow a full loan for the car. Depreciation is not hitting the Type r hard enough to get "behind" in the loan it seems. I bought the Si and while I am happy...the Type r haunts me. I want to pay off my student loans before I scoop one up. I would go with a 2020 or 2021, but I will be buying used by the time I get one. It looks like you would have to buy new if you are purchasing now for a 2020. Best of luck with your decision!

Ouhei

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR
Country flag
It sounds like you can easily afford the car, if you can get financed at a low enough rate it'd be worth financing part of the cost so your money can work for you elsewhere and/or having a loan out that you pay on time helps your credit out (if you need that at all). Buying an expensive(ish) car (outside of some collectibles) is never the "smart financial decision" and always make sure you're not overextending yourself, but you also don't need to deny yourself things you want if you don't have to. The world is kind of all over the place right now so if having a car you really like helps you have some happiness in that world, go for it.

At this point I'd definitely try and wait for a 2020, if you're in an area where dealers have given up on the mark ups it's enough of a difference that waiting a few more months is worth it.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Apply Dave Ramsey or any other things in moderation. If you get hit by a bus tomorrow you will have at least driven a fun car today.
The insurance industry profits billions annually. If they are willing to give me a 20 year term life insurance policy that brings me well into my 50's and would pay out $1,000,000 to my estate should I die in that span, for a cost of $40/month then I am gonna live my life by their data. Which means there are overwhelming odds that I won't get hit by a bus tomorrow.

People that obsess too much with saving and such miss out on what is really important - enjoying their life.
Now you're just making things up. You ask any everyday millionaire what it took for them to get where they are, and if they've enjoyed life and have any regrets. Then ask broke people what they've done to get there and if they've enjoyed life and have any regrets and get back to me with who is more likely to believe they have lived a fulfilled life...

Everybody wants to be a millionaire, and can be. But very few do what it takes to accomplish it.

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
The insurance industry profits billions annually. If they are willing to give me a 20 year term life insurance policy that brings me well into my 50's and would pay out $1,000,000 to my estate should I die in that span, for a cost of $40/month then I am gonna live my life by their data. Which means there are overwhelming odds that I won't get hit by a bus tomorrow.

Now you're just making things up. You ask any everyday millionaire what it took for them to get where they are, and if they've enjoyed life and have any regrets. Then ask broke people what they've done to get there and if they've enjoyed life and have any regrets and get back to me with who is more likely to believe they have lived a fulfilled life...

Everybody wants to be a millionaire, and can be. But very few do what it takes to accomplish it.
You enjoy your life, I'll extra enjoy mine. People that live 'Dave Ramsey's' way seldom live long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labors. All I said was 'ramsey to a limit, but you have to enjoy your life'. The OP is responsible, making good money, must have a solid education to garner that pay, and is trying to buy a reasonable car.

I would counsel differently if he wanted to go get a GTR with crazy high cost and maintenance. But a Civic Type R? The car holds its value, is reasonably priced, is functional for his family, and will bring joy into his life.

Staring at a spreadsheet counting down the minutes until he can enjoy a bit of his life does not make a full life - at least not to me.

You don't know when your time is up, that's why you should allow yourself some reasonable levels of fun even if they don't adhere to the Dave Ramsey school of never have fun no matter what.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
[/QUOTE]
You enjoy your life, I'll extra enjoy mine. People that live 'Dave Ramsey's' way seldom live long enough to enjoy the fruits of their labors. All I said was 'ramsey to a limit, but you have to enjoy your life'. The OP is responsible, making good money, must have a solid education to garner that pay, and is trying to buy a reasonable car.

I would counsel differently if he wanted to go get a GTR with crazy high cost and maintenance. But a Civic Type R? The car holds its value, is reasonably priced, is functional for his family, and will bring joy into his life.

Staring at a spreadsheet counting down the minutes until he can enjoy a bit of his life does not make a full life - at least not to me.

You don't know when your time is up, that's why you should allow yourself some reasonable levels of fun even if they don't adhere to the Dave Ramsey school of never have fun no matter what.
Dave Ramsey school of thought is not against enjoying life. Quite the contrary.

OP is just starting out in life and is already up to his eyeballs in debt. Now is not the time to compound that for a car that loses value every day. Once the novelty of the purchase wears off, and it'll wear off quick, he'll be left with a clear view of how far back he's set himself. If you enjoy living paycheck to paycheck being a slave to the banks and most likely losing sleep along the way, then by all means do what broke people do.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

Dave Ramsey school of thought is not against enjoying life. Quite the contrary.

OP is just starting out in life and is already up to his eyeballs in debt. Now is not the time to compound that for a car that loses value every day. Once the novelty of the purchase wears off, and it'll wear off quick, he'll be left with a clear view of how far back he's set himself. If you enjoy living paycheck to paycheck being a slave to the banks and most likely losing sleep along the way, then by all means do what broke people do.[/QUOTE]

lol I don't do any of that but ok.

I've said my opinion, you've ventured yours. You're very much on the doom and gloom side of savings, which is your prerogative. But suggesting that guy is up to his eyeballs in debt is a bit of a stretch.

Peace all - enjoy the car if you get it OP

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
What a First topic to see when you join a forum lol. This topic is crazy, while both sides have a valid argument. I honestly believe if the OP is up to his eyeballs in debt he should probably take care of the debt first. While taking care of his debt he should save a little bit each day for a 2020 Type R. the first like 6 months dealerships are going to charge enormous markup. I believe he should wait/pay down debt first/ then get the car. No matter how high his income/debt ratio is anything can happen and he doesn't need to be bogging down himself with more debt.

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I called the dealer...and decided to wait. I enjoyed everyone's comments here and appreciate the input. I don't know if I'll be able to wait out the 2 years of my accord lease but at least until the 2020's come out!
Is the
So I called the dealer...and decided to wait. I enjoyed everyone's comments here and appreciate the input. I don't know if I'll be able to wait out the 2 years of my accord lease but at least until the 2020's come out!
May have been addressed already...but what does the $4k on the Accord represent? Is that remaining payments or what you would owe after your dealer would buy the car?

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Now that they know you are interested, they'll be hounding you to come in to make a deal which is exactly what you want. Brush it off as if you don't really care but tell them if the price is right you'll be interested. Depending on the demand, they might offer you a real nice deal. With the CTR being out for several years now, I'm thinking the demand is not going to be that high even with all the cool new features that are included with the 2020 model. Hell, if anything, they'll be wanting to unload the 2019's with a nice discount seeing as most people, myself included, will be wanting to go for a 2020.

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
27k to buy out lease. 23k appraisal at carmax. Kbb put it at 21-24k so thought that was as good as it gets unless through private sale.
Has the dealer given you an offer on the Accord or know your lease situation? I was in a somewhat similar position and they bumped the offer on the "trade" knowing getting out of the lease cleanly was my main barrier to entry.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
So I'm going to tackle it from a different perspective, assuming you still owe on the Honda Accord and you say you have about $5k in bills and what not. Sooo...to me maybe you go the route of figuring out how much you need to cut out inorder to have that $550/mo just be part of your normal debt that you are currently paying off. NOT trying to get into your finances but are their corners that you could cut out inorder to make this purchase a reality.

My 'fuzzy' math would go something like this:
$550/mo - Current Car payment - 'some extras' = a new CTR.

For instance do you go out to eat lunch every day - if so @$10/meal - you're looking at about anywhere between $200-300/mo (not knowing how many days a week you work and all). Do you pay for cable or do you have subs like Netflix/Hulu/HBO/Showtime etc that you pay for that you don't even use. All I'm saying is that the Dave Ramsey advice is solid and paying off your debts make the most sense - but....if you have a great deal on a 2019 and it's something you want - then maybe cutting out some 'eating out/drinking out' a few times a week (I know when i go out drinking - it's a min of $30 for that night and even more if I Uber home). Regardless I think waiting (that is waht I am doing since I am soo close to having my ride PIF) is a good idea overall but I like to be 'that guy to stir the pot a bit' haha :)

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I already put out the word to my sales guy who sold me my Si that I am interested in a 2020 CTR. No rush on getting one but if the price is right, I'll bite. At this point it's just a waiting game.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
$37k really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay cash. If I was having to take out a loan, I'd be looking at something else TBH.
Sponsored