Convince me to buy or not buy 2019 CTR. Am I making a dumb decision?

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Real simple buy the 2020 if you find you can’t swing the payments sell it (btw at $17K a month you can pay it off in 3 months)
Sponsored

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Real simple buy the 2020 if you find you can’t swing the payments sell it (btw at $17K a month you can pay it off in 3 months)
He can't pay it off in 3 months because he doesn't net anywhere near $17k/month. And he has other large debts as well as needs money to live off of in the mean time. However, with his income if he was patient he could clear all of his debts and build a strong financial foundation very fast, and then can be in the market for a much nicer car all the while never having to enslave himself to a creditor again. But hey, patience is a virtue possessed by few.

Last edited:

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I just need to hear opinions/voices of reason in my dilemma. I understand the bias of posting in a CTR forum, but maybe I'm just looking to hear what I want to hear. But I welcome all opinions

Just to get a full picture, just a little background

In early 30s, married, no kids (but planning for near future), sole breadwinner for the house. Monthly income of about 17k/month but only started the job 4 months ago after years of schooling and training so don't have a ton saved up (~70k) Don't want to necessarily get into all the money since its not a financial advice sub, but I spend roughly about 5k/month on essentials. I haven't finalized my refinance, but also looking to spend about 5k/month on loan repayment.

I want to buy a 2019 CTR. Best offer so far (in socal), 42k out the door (including warranty), my current plan is to put 12k down, already preapproved for a loan, monthly payments will be ~550/month.

But have 2 years left on lease (2019 accord manual), I'd lose about $4000 selling the lease at this point.

my current dilemmas

1. I know I'm essentially wasting money to get what I want early- but is this completely irresponsible financially? Is waiting the only and right answer?

2. Is this car even worth it at this point in my life...I can be spending that money on school loans, saving up for house, etc.

3. Less of a financial dilemma-- should I wait for 2020 model (I like the honda sensing, but not a need need, but just feel like I'd be missing out; but also anticipating huge markups for 2020 on release esp in socal, so would I have to wait another year or so to see reasonable prices)
Thanks for reading, I know there are no "right or wrong" answers, lot of is personal preference and decision making, but just want to hear people's thoughts and opinions.
Congrats on the schooling, training and family.

But, why ask a forum of people that don’t know you for advice (and the set of yahoos espousing their personal viewpoint on finances). If you really want some advice, talk with your parents, friends, former instructors, peers at work whom you trust.

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
He can't pay it off in 3 months because he doesn't net anywhere near $17k/month. And he has other large debts as well as needs money to live off of in the mean time. However, with his income if he was patient he could clear all of his debts and build a strong financial foundation very fast, and then can be in the market for a much nicer car all the while never having to enslave himself to a creditor again. But hey, patience is a virtue possessed by few.
Never enslave yourself to a creditor again HALLELUJAH AMEN BROTHER

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Funny all the Dave Ramsey haters. If I told you that you could easily go from being in debt like all the herd to being worth a million dollars cash, would you be intetested? If I told you I followed his advice and will be there from age 35 to 42, would you be surprised? Saving is EASY. Spending like a fool is, well foolish.

All the yolo comments and other nonsense justification for all your horrid financial choices is hilarious. As the smart guy above said, when you’re worth 1+ million, go all out and buy what you want. Don’t pay the bankers so they can buy the Rolex now on your dime when you have a negative net worth.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

But, why ask a forum of people that don’t know you for advice (and the set of yahoos espousing their personal viewpoint on finances). If you really want some advice, talk with your parents, friends, former instructors, peers at work whom you trust.
Yahoo here, I gave my personal viewpoint on finances because he asked for it. A vehicle is likely the second largest purchase you'll ever make. It is ultimately a finance question. Most people don't like my viewpoint because most people are broke and they can't stand to face the realization that it's their own fault. Don't ever take financial advice from a broke person unless you want to be like them.

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Yeah for sure, I’d definitely listen to other yahoos in debt. Smh.

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
I asked these folks to talk me out of buying a 2019 CTR, it was in my driveway 3 days later. Just do it. :)

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I just need to hear opinions/voices of reason in my dilemma. I understand the bias of posting in a CTR forum, but maybe I'm just looking to hear what I want to hear. But I welcome all opinions

Just to get a full picture, just a little background

In early 30s, married, no kids (but planning for near future), sole breadwinner for the house. Monthly income of about 17k/month but only started the job 4 months ago after years of schooling and training so don't have a ton saved up (~70k) Don't want to necessarily get into all the money since its not a financial advice sub, but I spend roughly about 5k/month on essentials. I haven't finalized my refinance, but also looking to spend about 5k/month on loan repayment.

I want to buy a 2019 CTR. Best offer so far (in socal), 42k out the door (including warranty), my current plan is to put 12k down, already preapproved for a loan, monthly payments will be ~550/month.

But have 2 years left on lease (2019 accord manual), I'd lose about $4000 selling the lease at this point.

my current dilemmas

1. I know I'm essentially wasting money to get what I want early- but is this completely irresponsible financially? Is waiting the only and right answer?

2. Is this car even worth it at this point in my life...I can be spending that money on school loans, saving up for house, etc.

3. Less of a financial dilemma-- should I wait for 2020 model (I like the honda sensing, but not a need need, but just feel like I'd be missing out; but also anticipating huge markups for 2020 on release esp in socal, so would I have to wait another year or so to see reasonable prices)
Thanks for reading, I know there are no "right or wrong" answers, lot of is personal preference and decision making, but just want to hear people's thoughts and opinions.
If you need someone on a forum to advise you what to do or not do, you shouldn't be looking at all. You obviously signed up for an account on this forum for a reason. Based on grammar, I think you are trolling.

That being said, duh. Invest in a house or pay off loans, assuming any of that is true. Financially, those come first for everyone. Some will rent, and own a nice car, others will finance the shit out of stuff to get a car. Some, will work to pay for a house and a car. I would suggest that, and no trying to figure out where to put money.

Pay your bills off if you are concerned about something enough to warrant a FK8 purchase at "your" income level.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I will tell you the CTR may not be what you think it is. I say this from experience. I have a 2019 CTR, Hondata 93 oct tune with improved throttle response, PRL HVI and PRL TIP. All that and my GF stock WRX is more fun in daily driving conditions. The only time I get a smile is the freeway ramp for about 2 seconds. Anything more than that and you are playing with fire. I'm hoping a custom tune will get me where I'd like to be. As I look around for my next mod I also toss the idea of trading my CTR for a WRX. As great as the CTR is it did not tick the boxes I was hoping it would. Also, our winter car 2014 Mazda 6 w 144,000 Ohio miles has dead center steering. All the rave reviews about the CTR steering had me so excited about that. It's pretty good but not what it was hyped up to be. The Mazda is better.
lol

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Oh a physician, eh? My buddy is an FA, he was saying how it's amazing how close to bankruptcy many doctors are. They tend to finance the crap out of everything to keep up appearances with their peers.

I wouldn't go that route. Hope I am wrong about my gut feeling here...

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
This thread just got so much better. Dude is making 17k a month and still needs to take out a loan for a Civic. Makes no sense. I make half that and all 3 of my cars are paid for. Granted I don't have any debt other than my mortgage but still, I don't get it. Guess I should be thankful I live in Texas :beer:

Honda Civic 10th gen Convince me to buy or not buy 2019 CTR. Am I making a dumb decision? pkoOk0qm
Sponsored