Gretz

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx
Country flag
If you’re in Canada and have winter ridiculous amounts of the given year, I would look into what the teslas are like when the temps dip. Heat issues, window fogging, huge reduction in range, etc…. Not to mention, if you are going for a decently long drive, you have to plan your route accordingly/ have that time to recharge worked into it. I almost bought one, ended up going with the gas sipper 6 speed lx. If I want something fast, I’ll build another toy and not have to break the bank trying to buy something to be both
Sponsored

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
The daughter has an older Chevy Volt. She likes it but I think she likes what the car represents more. I think some Tesla buyers have that "issue" too. She was bragging how fast it was until I gave her a ride in the Type R. She is pretty quiet now...?

She does want to do a ride along when I do AutoX this year.?

Last edited:

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
If you’re in Canada and have winter ridiculous amounts of the given year, I would look into what the teslas are like when the temps dip. Heat issues, window fogging, huge reduction in range, etc…. Not to mention, if you are going for a decently long drive, you have to plan your route accordingly/ have that time to recharge worked into it. I almost bought one, ended up going with the gas sipper 6 speed lx. If I want something fast, I’ll build another toy and not have to break the bank trying to buy something to be both
Weren’t there battery issues not working and or charging properly below a certain temperature? Kind of like how your cellphone battery suddenly depletes when you head up to the slopes?

I think this type of vehicle would be more ideal and suitable for local driving and within a radius to complete a full round trip (200 miles or so) if you do decide to do a road trip and still having enough to make it to the nearest charging station.

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
Yes. That’s true. Where do you live. Because if your in cold climate the range is reduced a lot. Also as mentioned how would you use the car ? All of that comes to play. But I think asking on a ctr forum to compare the Two more or less isn’t going to get you a answer. I use the Tesla for my inspection business it’s perfect. Still fun and I never need to use gas and charge it at home. I drive 200-250 miles a day. I drive my ctr some days but since it’s inky city I don’t get to drive the car as it wants to be driven until the weekends.

Gretz

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic lx
Country flag
Yessir, this was an issue as well. There are a bunch which made me just buy a fuel efficient car. Would hate to buy a hybrid battery as well

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Y'all crack me up.. most of that electricity is made with coal ?

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
I think the consensus here is most of us if not all of us fk8 owners, have multiple cars.
if the fk8 is your only car perhaps your over extended. Until the electric infrastructure mirrors the gas one i would own one of each.

so keep the type r and get a tesla. If you can only afford one i would just get a fuel miser of a car until you can buy the tesla you want. Or get a cheaper non tesla electric car and keep the type r. Imo.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I think you need to ask yourself why you bought a Type R in the first place. If those reasons have changed and an electric car fits your current requirements for a car, then do it. But a model 3 (unless its the Performance) isn't really in the same category.

I've seen a lot of the drawbacks listed already. But something to consider I didn't see (I skimmed this thread) is how close the nearest Tesla service center is. I know that they require less maintenance, but when they do need maintenance it can be a hassle if there isn't a service center close by. I'm shocked with how often my family members have to take their Tesla's in to a place more than an hour away and leave it for days. Plus they sometimes get an ICE car as a loaner. lol.

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
I think the consensus here is most of us if not all of us fk8 owners, have multiple cars.
if the fk8 is your only car perhaps your over extended. Until the electric infrastructure mirrors the gas one i would own one of each.

so keep the type r and get a tesla. If you can only afford one i would just get a fuel miser of a car until you can buy the tesla you want. Or get a cheaper non tesla electric car and keep the type r. Imo.
Well said. This fits my situation exactly. I really like my type r. Wouldn’t sell it unless someone offered me $75k but for work and daily driving it’s not the most practical or comfortable so I bought a tesla for work. But I think the error is ‘comparing’ the two. They are totally different created for different reasons.

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Have a 2020 Taycan 4s, considerably faster than the tesla at everything and yet still just a boring car.

Sure a 0-60 launch is fun here and there but after that its just a big fat heavy car you dont get to shift.

It's not fun or engaging just a pretty looking car.

If all you care about is a 0-60 launch it might be a winner. If you like a car that is 1000+lbs lighter, manual transmission, decent sounding engine and is actually fun to drive keep the CTR

Can't really compare the two

IMG_6512.jpeg
? so much money for a fat boring car.