Convince me out of selling for a tesla

RTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
how is the handling of the model 3? I know its not going to be nearly as precise as the fk8 but how would it compare againt more "nomral performance daily" vehicles?

what kind of quality control issues did you have and how was Tesla when it came to handling complaints/servicing the car? I read a lot about (1 example) panel gaps. but if the servicing center fixes it no questions asked then its not too bad i guess
I find the handling to be only okay for the stock coilovers. You gonna need aftermartket coilover. It dramatically reduces body roll. You can compete with lighter in the corner with that awd+ev torque.

The car is fast until mid speed. 124mph+ you'd feel like you aren't accelerating at the rate you'd like it to. Until that speed, you are pretty much faster than most cars. You do not need to deal with gear changing. It's tap and go& keep going.

You will see many panel gaps. Mine has a gap on a passenger window that lets wind sound in. No fix other than replacing the rubber frame. The speaker grill in the front became rusty for some reason. Sunblind holder no longer securely locked in its place. It will pop out if I pull the sunblind out. The color quality is bad. It's terrible if you in to color quality. A few rock chips will scratch away your paint job.

I never did any maintenance to it. Except for the worn brake pads after a few hard spirit driving.

They don't really bother me. Only the window bit that irritated me because it got louder as I drove faster.

I can't speak for Tesla service since I do not live in the US.

You should get a test drive of the performance model. You will like it.

Model 3 does not replace what fk8 offers. It just suits my needs more. Fast, easy to drive, daily driver.
Sponsored

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
The use of gas prices as a justification to buy a $50-60K+ vehicle is comical.......if economics is your primary factor, get a Toyota hybrid or even ICE econobox.

A Tesla is not a value purchase, it's a luxury item. I work with several people who have them and they are all uncomfortable just admitting this......nothing wrong with a luxury car purchase, just stop pretending it's to save money.

These things make perfect sense for someone who swaps cars every couple of years and lives in a metro area with some shell of a charging infrastructure. Want to save the environment? Buy a proven reliable Toyota hybrid and keep it 15 years.

None of this is about the environment or saving money. Teslas are currently disposable luxury appliances for people that can afford them. Don't even get into factoring in the environmental cost of the precious metals used in the batteries, which will need replacing multiple times in the life span of a single Toyota naturally aspirated powertrain.......

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
Title says it all. Currently have a 2014 corolla as a winter car/summer daily + the CTR as my summer toy

With gas prices on the up n up im really considering selling both for a 2022 model 3 long range

Good daily, fun car for summer (hopefully can scratch the ctr itch), awd for winter driving, 0 gas (electricity will only cost me $25 cad/month)

Has anyone made a similar switch, or experience with both cars to give any advice? I wanna be talked out of it with legitimate reasons
what do you mean “good car for the summer?” where are you gonna go with the Tesla for the summer? To a charging station and camp there?

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
Title says it all. Currently have a 2014 corolla as a winter car/summer daily + the CTR as my summer toy

With gas prices on the up n up im really considering selling both for a 2022 model 3 long range

Good daily, fun car for summer (hopefully can scratch the ctr itch), awd for winter driving, 0 gas (electricity will only cost me $25 cad/month)

Has anyone made a similar switch, or experience with both cars to give any advice? I wanna be talked out of it with legitimate reasons
I rented one for a week. It's the fastest car I've ever driven and it's also one of the most boring. The autopilot features are horrible and other manufacturers do it better.

Tesla is a car for people who are not car enthusiasts and who still care about brand

Vitamin_R

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 2005 C230K
Country flag
The use of gas prices as a justification to buy a $50-60K+ vehicle is comical.......if economics is your primary factor, get a Toyota hybrid or even ICE econobox.
It depends. I used to drive a lot as part of my job. When I did the math, a Tesla would have cost me +$125/mo over the 32mpg car I was still making payments on. The reason at the time that I did not switch is because of uncertainty in regards to the company I worked for

If that situation had lasted, I would have been able to get an extra $125 of value from the Tesla

I bought my R a couple days after I gave notice and oh boy... This car is AWFUL for 150mi/day driving haha

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Paper airplane on wheels. It’s like driving a bumper car at the boardwalk. I’m not sold on their quality and for the price you pay for a model 3, seems like the only benefits are freedom from that gas pump and an environmentally friendly vehicle. Bad things I see are a bland driving experience and a distracting touchpad console.

Now if you’re going for a Model S, then different story. Only uncharitable folks with discardable money can afford those.

engineering

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Tesla is marketing itself as a luxury brand with piss poor build quality. I can't justify the cost for such garbage quality. If you're into luxury go for it, In my opinion I'm waiting for Honda and Toyota to come out with their own iterations of EV's and advancements in PHEV powertrains in the next decade to eventually switch over. I value practicality and quality which Honda and Toyota provide, none of those are offered by Tesla at the current price point of their models coupled with nightmares regarding their service center experience. I also am not a fan of the interior of the model 3 with the single screen in the center. What happens if there are issues with that screen? There goes your interface for the entire car.

MrTuckers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Type R, 08 CRV, 06 Oddy, 14 Accord 9th Gen V6
Country flag
Tesla is marketing itself as a luxury brand with piss poor build quality. I can't justify the cost for such garbage quality. If you're into luxury go for it, In my opinion I'm waiting for Honda and Toyota to come out with their own iterations of EV's and advancements in PHEV powertrains in the next decade to eventually switch over. I value practicality and quality which Honda and Toyota provide, none of those are offered by Tesla at the current price point of their models coupled with nightmares regarding their service center experience. I also am not a fan of the interior of the model 3 with the single screen in the center. What happens if there are issues with that screen? There goes your interface for the entire car.
This is very good feedback and I agree as well. Everyone here in the Bay Area has them and most of them driving it drive like $hit. Instant torque for some = instant stupid.

On the other hand they’re loving to avoid the $6 gas at the pump but that still won’t get me to buy into one. Had it been a mature car and company of 10 years or more then I would consider but at this point I think everyone of those owners are beta testers.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
one of my car show buds sold his 55 chevy race car that was barely streetable for a performance model tesla,he loves it.wouldnt hurt to see if you can try one out and see if its for you or not...

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
If you are really serious about an EV, why would you pick a Tesla? Uglier than sin and a one trick pony that can accelerate really quickly but doesn't do anything else in an exciting manner and has bad build quality.

ianmerriman

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Honda CTR,14 Audi A8L,13 Tesla P85
Country flag
It's all in what you want out of a car. I have a 2013 Model S P85. It's fun to drive, but it's no CTR as far as the connected driving experience. It's a driving appliance more so than a sporty fun car. I have it for daily driving in the city, and it's dirt cheap with grandfathered-in free supercharging. On long road trips, i'll still take my diesel Audi A8L every day of the week. The Tesla isn't great on the highway, and you have to stop every 150-200 miles to charge. Long road trips take forever. It's like having a car full of kids and having to stop every hour because someone has to pee... you'll get there, but it's gonna take a while.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
So, I have had a 2018 Type R, sold for a Raptor which I just sold for a 22 M3P. Other current car is a turbo s2000 and various other enthusiast cars in the past. With that being said, as a daily driver the M3P so has been the best sports sedan I have driven. With the instant power and quick steering response I have been enjoying it. Now with that being said, if you like rowing gears, hearing engine noise this will not be your cup of tea. The R is lighter and feels it but the 3 does not feel as heavy as it is due to the where the weight is located. I am currently waiting on coilovers, and other suspension bits to see how well it will handle. I would test drive one and see how it goes.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Have a 2020 Taycan 4s, considerably faster than the tesla at everything and yet still just a boring car.

Sure a 0-60 launch is fun here and there but after that its just a big fat heavy car you dont get to shift.

It's not fun or engaging just a pretty looking car.

If all you care about is a 0-60 launch it might be a winner. If you like a car that is 1000+lbs lighter, manual transmission, decent sounding engine and is actually fun to drive keep the CTR

Can't really compare the two

Honda Civic 10th gen Convince me out of selling for a tesla IMG_6512
Sponsored