whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Title says it all. Currently have a 2014 corolla as a winter car/summer daily + the CTR as my summer toy

With gas prices on the up n up im really considering selling both for a 2022 model 3 long range

Good daily, fun car for summer (hopefully can scratch the ctr itch), awd for winter driving, 0 gas (electricity will only cost me $25 cad/month)

Has anyone made a similar switch, or experience with both cars to give any advice? I wanna be talked out of it with legitimate reasons
Sponsored

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think EV’s are generally superior on paper, but a lot of their kinks haven’t been worked out yet. I personally would also stay away from Tesla, as cool as I think they are, I would never own one unless they improve their QC and reliability to match the big OEMs like Honda, and are competitive cost-wise.

I was actually pretty close to buying a Hyundai Ioniq, but availability was crap when I was looking, and my heart made me go with the six-speed Civic (and thus here I am :) )

I work for a big Lithium business and a lot of our research is focused around EVs… the battery technology is changing like every half-year (and varies regionally) as OEMs try to figure out how to balance safety with price with range, etc. in real time.

I would wait until one battery type matures and becomes the norm for several years before buying a new EV, IMHO. Maybe look used if looking for a dinky city car, though. And look out for models that tend to catch on fire (not all battery technologies are created equally).

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
My next car will more than likely be an EV. The idea of not giving AF about gas prices is nice.

Even with expensive California power per kWh, it's roughly $16.5 to fill up a Tesla Model Y with a 75 kWh battery from empty. Less so if I generate my own power via solar.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Tesla - Con's -

Crappy resale value
Crappy handling
Crappy build quality
Giant screen that puts out 500000 lumens of light sitting all up in your face 24/8 like a glowing table
No engine noise
No stickshift
No fun outside of spurt of acceleration in your whisper quiet family car while you listen to more fun cars around you

Tesla - Pro's -

You have a really neat golf cart with a cool body kit
The challenge of making a moronic EVPOWAH or something electrical / EV related license plate should give you hours of entertainment
You can ignore all consumer reports and first hand owner horror stories of build quality and ability to repiar because Elon says cool things on Twitter
Starbux street cred

Tough choice man I'll leave you to it :x

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
If you are considering a model 3 over a CTR, I won't try to talk you out of it.

EVs bore me, it's a one trick pony gimmick in terms of performance imo. Would possibly make sense to replace the corolla as a daily but I wouldn't even do that as the corolla is bulletproof reliable.

What you'll save in gas you'll just pay in replacing the thing while my Honda still runs strong 10+ years from now. Don't buy it to "save money", spending $50K on an unreliable laptop with wheels to save money makes no sense.

Oh, waiting for a charge on a road trip sounds like a blast too......

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wanted to add that EV’s can too benefit from having gears, and Toyota has already filed a patent for a manual transmission EV, however, gears are by no means necessary, like they are for ICE vehicles, and likely would only have 2-3 gears versus 5-6.

I have my doubts though about it actually being “fun”. Time will tell.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Tesla - Con's -

Crappy resale value
Crappy handling
Crappy build quality
Giant screen that puts out 500000 lumens of light sitting all up in your face 24/8 like a glowing table
No engine noise
No stickshift
No fun outside of spurt of acceleration in your whisper quiet family car while you listen to more fun cars around you

Tesla - Pro's -

You have a really neat golf cart with a cool body kit
The challenge of making a moronic EVPOWAH or something electrical / EV related license plate should give you hours of entertainment
You can ignore all consumer reports and first hand owner horror stories of build quality and ability to repiar because Elon says cool things on Twitter
Starbux street cred

Tough choice man I'll leave you to it :x
...and another con is they can no longer make loud farting noises because the NHTSA made them remove it...so bummer for all the mentally juvenile Tesla owners who think like Elon?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Tbh with the much more expansive EV segment now, there are a ton more attractive options than a Tesla to me imo. It's outdated, poor build quality and horrible reslae. Not sure what upside there is outside of a lease.

Bob_L

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Civic Type-R
Country flag
Electricity isn't the magic cure-all people seem to think it is. Anybody remember the rolling brown-outs in CA? How about the power outages in many gulf coast states from hurricanes and storms? Kinda hard to charge your car with the power out.

What about over in the UK? I read that with more and more people charging EVs, their grid is starting to have capacity problems, so the government is starting to restrict the times of day you can charge your EV. Out of juice? Too bad, you cant charge until the next allowed charging time.

In a lot of places, (like here in GA), our primary source of electrical power generation is via the burning of coal. So EV owners haven't really reduced emissions - they just moved them somewhere else so they don't have to look at them. That way they can feel better about their coal powered Teslas.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Electricity isn't the magic cure-all people seem to think it is. Anybody remember the rolling brown-outs in CA? How about the power outages in many gulf coast states from hurricanes and storms? Kinda hard to charge your car with the power out.

What about over in the UK? I read that with more and more people charging EVs, their grid is starting to have capacity problems, so the government is starting to restrict the times of day you can charge your EV. Out of juice? Too bad, you cant charge until the next allowed charging time.

In a lot of places, (like here in GA), our primary source of electrical power generation is via the burning of coal. So EV owners haven't really reduced emissions - they just moved them somewhere else so they don't have to look at them. That way they can feel better about their coal powered Teslas.
I don’t disagree with you, but I read a study showing that since electric cars are more efficient at utilizing energy than ICE cars, even in a coal-powered grid, an EV’s net CO2 emissions are similar to that of a very efficient gas-powered car, something like say, a Honda Civic :)

This doesn’t consider manufacturing emissions, which normally makes it so that it takes a few years for an EV to be “greener” over a ICE car too.

But yeah if the grid is having trouble supplying energy then that’s a logistical problem that makes it less desirable.