Convert non paddle version to paddle shift?

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
Since all kinds of crazy questions get asked.....who here knows how involved it would be to convert a non paddle shift CVT Civic to paddle shift?
Sponsored

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Not worth it.

You'd need to buy the parts and have them installed, swap out wiring harnesses that essentially spider all over the car, and then hope that the software for the transmissions are interchangeable.

If you really want paddle shifters you should get a car that comes with one.

IMO, they're stupid on a CVT.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It would be almost as involved as swapping to manual, considering the paddle version only has D and S, no L, you'd need new shifter assembly and all that. You'd be better off going manual if you're set on a swap.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Not sure why they're stupid on the newer CVT's....
IMO....if you have the CVT with paddle shifters, you get more on the fly control..... allow you to brake downshift if needed giving additional braking power...upshift in a curve to pull you through on the hi end with more torque or stay in higher revs if pulling out into the straights....or yes just get an old manual

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I just found this vid of someone doing a paddle convert on their infiniti. Could I ask someone with a 10th gen CVT to dissect and inspect their steering column to see if the wire harnesses and mounting holes are there? That would be awesome if all we had to do was buy the sport paddles and other various parts from honda. Thanks for any help!

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
If we know exactly what to look for, I would not mind volunteering to dissect my steering column. I have a decent toolset. I'd do this only if there is some hope that the paddle shifters can be mounted, by that, I mean that there are dummy wiring harnesses for the shifters.

I'd be interested in throwing some paddle shifters. I know it's useless, but if it's a cheap plug in, I'd love to have them.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The in

I just found this vid of someone doing a paddle convert on their infiniti. Could I ask someone with a 10th gen CVT to dissect and inspect their steering column to see if the wire harnesses and mounting holes are there? That would be awesome if all we had to do was buy the sport paddles and other various parts from honda. Thanks for any help!
The infiniti already had an area to mount the paddle shifters from the looks of it, I dont think that non paddle Civics have that same kind of indent in the steering rack like the infiniti. It was probably an option on that car that the buyer didn't select and its just left as a blank area. If you really wanted to convert your Civic to paddles, you would end up spending more money than its worth and at that point you might as well just trade in on a Civic that actually has it. Makes no sense to go through the headache of installing it.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't do this but I wonder if you could just get a whole new steering wheel with the paddles already there and just do a swap? Of course, that's also considering if your non-paddle Civic already has the wiring, harness, etc. to accommodate the paddles to work. And of course, it won't be cheap.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Somebody did the modification in China, where paddles are not available on any trim. You need the back cover and paddles for steering wheel, and then it's connections and obd stuff. On the display appears: Sm1, Sm2.....
I don't know more since i have an easier way to change gears ;-)
Honda Civic 10th gen Convert non paddle version to paddle shift? WeChat Image_20181025120723

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
You need the back cover and paddles for steering wheel, and then it's connections and obd stuff
Thank you very much for this info CivicChina. :bow:

If this is true, I don't see how this add on can cost more than $250.

Back cover....? I guess you need to replace a cover that has the indentations that allow the paddles to sit.

And you plug in the wires and Sm mode indicators show up on the instrumentation? :headbang:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you very much for this info CivicChina. :bow:

If this is true, I don't see how this add on can cost more than $250.

Back cover....? I guess you need to replace a cover that has the indentations that allow the paddles to sit.

And you plug in the wires and Sm mode indicators show up on the instrumentation? :headbang:
Only the imported parts cost over 500$ over here. I haven't actually seen a car with the mod done, only a few pictures in civic groups came up this week, I guess there will be cheaper sources and more info soon.

kyle61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Somebody did the modification in China, where paddles are not available on any trim. You need the back cover and paddles for steering wheel, and then it's connections and obd stuff. On the display appears: Sm1, Sm2.....
I don't know more since i have an easier way to change gears ;-)
WeChat Image_20181025120723.jpg
I already install paddles, new cover new paddles connections but still not work on my hatchback EX-L. Do you know what OBD stuff i need? or Do you have a link for modification I can ask by myshelf?

[Edit]
I found post from below link, but i'm not sure what software he using to flash "TCM".
https://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread/43d4915220e10867/76934641-1.html

Last edited:

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I already install paddles, new cover new paddles connections but still not work on my hatchback EX-L. Do you know what OBD stuff i need? or Do you have a link for modification I can ask by myshelf?

[Edit]
I found post from below link, but i'm not sure what software he using to flash "TCM".
https://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/thread/43d4915220e10867/76934641-1.html
Sorry, i have no idea, my car is a manual but i would totally do this mod if i had a CVT. Our local civic mod shop can already add any feature to these cars but i don't know what software they use. can you read Chinese? If so you are already ahead to find the answers
Sponsored