Contemplating trading the Type R for the new Integra

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I was hyped when the Integra was first announced....but then i saw the specs and whatnot and i was sad. If i were to get anything in the Acura lineup it would be the TLX Type-S but that is out of my price range
Sponsored

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
The TLX is rather nice but no manual, so, no sale here. There are tons of nice cars at lots of price points that are automatic only, though. It's in the manual world where choices get slimmed down a lot.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
The ITS comes out in 2023 I've heard same with the Nismo Z but I may be wrong.

The GR Corolla is suppose to compete with the ITS, Si, GTI so it's no where near CTR territory unless Toyota brings the hp up to 305-315

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
It's not horrible, I wouldnt do it though.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd check around with Carmax and Carvana if you are going to get rid of the R regardless and see how much they offer, then take that to wherever you are trying to trade the vehicle in at and see if they will match it. That's what I did with my Sport hatch. Just got my mother double what her car was worth from Carmax and I got $6k more than what I paid for my Sport 2 years ago as an offer from Carmax back in December. Do it now while the used market is still out of control.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
I gave it some thought honestly, but with ADM's a thing now, a Type-S 6-speed would be at or more than I paid for my Type-R when I bought it new. Local Honda dealers are currently 5-7k over sticker on a 22 Si. Integra has more nostalgia based marketing bolted on to it, prob would mean similar markup or more. That killed the idea pretty quick.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a Type owner now and an SI owner before, my thoughts:

1. The Type R is worth the money. I don't track mine. And I still love it. the extra performance is fun on the road, not just the track. And no you don't have to drive stupidly fast to appreciate the handling, braking, grip and finesse of this car. For every enthusiast benefit from the design, there is also a safety benefit. Think about that. Infotainment will not save your life.

2. If you are determined to never drive it in even a moderately spirited fashion, it may make sense to leave it for someone who will appreciate that capability. I don't track mine but still take corners and curves with gusto, and use each one to improve my car control and technique.
That said, anyone who prefers a manual transmission sounds like an enthusiast to me...so much respect.

3. Resale, as stated above, is sensational.

4. The new Integra seems like a decent car. Whereas the Type R is a hero car, and a bit of a unicorn. Meaning that it is a world class performer and a world class daily driver.

Your call.

Let us know what you decide.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Not going to lie...Drive a Type R. then drive whatever else is out there you will want to stay in the type R

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
Is anyone else considering trading in their Type R for the new Integra?...
I've owned a CTR, Integra GS-R, GTI, Sentra SE-R, and many other fun cars.

The CTR is a good HPDE car and practical DD with the right wheel and tire combo. The stock configuration isn't optimal on rough roads.

Based on your list, I'd say you're a good candidate for the Integra. The aforementioned Corolla GR and Elantra N look fun. So does the FT86.

Get the Integra and don't look back.

If you can pick one up around MSRP in today's market, just sell it and try something else if you decide it's not a good fit.

Let us know what you decide.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I think being able to even get whatever new car you desire, AND paying a reasonable price in the current car buying environment is somewhat far fetched.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
2022 BMW M240i
I looked at those a couple years ago, and was impressed. Sadly, no manual in the xDrive version then, and from what I see now on their site, no manual at all for current models except the M2? It's a great car but not one I would want without a third pedal.

But then, I have pretty much decided I don't want _any_ car without a manual transmission, at least until I have to go electric.
Sponsored