Consumer Reports 2016 Reliability Rating

iTzLanders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Paint chips super easily. It seems like the paint has like one or two less coats on it. Even compared to my '12 CR-V, the paint on the Civic looks pretty poor.
Is there anything you can do to protect the paint? I already chipped my paint from just washing my car... Not sure how to fix it..
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
seems to me that I read that a lot of other new cars are also having problems with the infotainment systems. I bought the bottom of the line LX without the system, just a simple stereo, so I don't have any of these problems. I've got an Ipod connected over USB, and it works perfectly.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
I heard that 2016/7 Civics are built in Turkey...the country...

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
Consumer Reports marks the Civic way down for audio/entertainment but yet they CRV when plagued with Vibration Issues was the top pick. Strange

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Consumer Reports marks the Civic way down for audio/entertainment but yet they CRV when plagued with Vibration Issues was the top pick. Strange
Yeah it just doesn't make sense. That is why a lot of people have lost trust in CR ratings. I think the basic problem is that the "weights" they assign to certain issues types are just not correct.

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I heard that 2016/7 Civics are built in Turkey...the country...
The Coupes and Sedans for the North American market are built in Ontario and Indiana. The hatches are built in the UK.

There may be a plant in Turkey, but that would be for another market.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
It's unbelievable to me that CR gave the civic a bad rating. Are they complete idiots? Are they unaware of the reviews the car has gotten in the automotive press? Did they even drive the car? Do they know anything at all?

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
It's unbelievable to me that CR gave the civic a bad rating. Are they complete idiots? Are they unaware of the reviews the car has gotten in the automotive press? Did they even drive the car? Do they know anything at all?
The Automotive press' target readers look for "cool, hot, exciting, powerful" types of cars. (As does their advertiser.)

The CR's target readers look for "what works well" "what's easy" "my wife and i have 3 kids and we have 0 time for bullshit" types of cars.

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
seems to me that I read that a lot of other new cars are also having problems with the infotainment systems. I bought the bottom of the line LX without the system, just a simple stereo, so I don't have any of these problems. I've got an Ipod connected over USB, and it works perfectly.
So would it be safer then to just get a LX to avoid the infotainment issues? I thought all 2016 Civics had the same potential problem?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
So would it be safer then to just get a LX to avoid the infotainment issues? I thought all 2016 Civics had the same potential problem?
That's a pretty illogical reason to get the LX. It's absolutely not a bad car, but if you can afford it, get a higher trim with more features.

"I can afford to take a vacation to Paris, but I heard some people got bitten by rats there - so to be safe, I've decided to instead go to a field in West Virginia!"

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
That's a pretty illogical reason to get the LX. It's absolutely not a bad car, but if you can afford it, get a higher trim with more features.

"I can afford to take a vacation to Paris, but I heard some people got bitten by rats there - so to be safe, I've decided to instead go to a field in West Virginia!"
Thanks for your confidence in all trim levels. I have to say I lean toward the EX myself if no major issues. In the Chicagoland area we only have two legged rats. Paris pricey for me as well. So I prefer my home in Philippines where I'm only bitten by flu bug.......hihi

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
The worst thing about this is, if you decide to sell your car the prices will be driven by these CR reports and you will get less than favorable resale value. Most buyers will see a big red "POOR" and fly to other competitors.

I personally never experienced an info. system issue, most of it is plaguing the touring models, not many of the trims below it.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
with all the recent negative reviews on the Civic hitting the press lately I'm sure Honda feels massive pressure to remedy this soon as many future sales are at stake. It would be smart for them to at least acknowledge the problem and promise to make it right...I'm sure that a solution announcement is forthcoming.
Are you a North Korean? "All praise our Dear Leader!"

audiosoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
CR gives the 2016 Civic a bad review. But the real car magazines give it a thumbs up. I would trust them more than CR. CR is just a bunch of old foggies

gwaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac vibe
The worst thing about this is, if you decide to sell your car the prices will be driven by these CR reports and you will get less than favorable resale value. Most buyers will see a big red "POOR" and fly to other competitors.
A good point that the bad CR review may effect resale value. I haven't read that the bad infotainment system only effected touring models. I'm just waiming to buy the 2017 model EX just to be more cautious.
I personally never experienced an info. system issue, most of it is plaguing the touring models, not many of the trims below it.
Sponsored