Console issue near gas pedal

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
When I bought my 2020 CTR five weeks ago, I added the Homelink rear view mirror and wireless phone charger accessories. All was good, I thought. While driving, a car stopped quickly in front of me and when I went to push on the brakes, my shoe was stuck behind the edge of the console near the right edge of the gas pedal. Fortunately, the Collision Mitigation Braking System worked well and stopped the car. My first thought was that this is such a poor design and a safety hazard. I tried pushing the edge of the console to the right but it just popped back out. See the photos for how it was. When pushing on the gas pedal, if my foot slid just a little bit to the right, it would get caught.

Honda Civic 10th gen Console issue near gas pedal 20200805_074310 (Medium)

Honda Civic 10th gen Console issue near gas pedal 20200805_074412 (Medium)

I recently showed it to a colleague who has a 2020 Civic sedan and then I looked at his car. This is when I realized that the dealer tech messed up reassembly after installing the accessories. The plastic cover (shiny black in the second photo) has a protrusion designed to retain the front edge of the console. This cover was installed with the console outside of it which pushed the console out almost 2 inches.

I was able to fix it myself by removing and replacing the cover piece with the console retainer correctly in place.

Last edited:

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
So you've been driving around with thag piece improperly installed like that for 5 weeks?? and just happen to notice it now??

The tech was prob in a hurry to install it. It's good practice to always double check their work. In your example, it could have been more serious if you didn't have the drivers aid..

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Its sad that you can't trust a professional. But yea, for some reason most mechanics I've come across don't take pride in their work. Heck, most craftsmen I encounter don't take pride in their work. So when you find one, treat them well!

Thanks for the reminder to double check, something one should not have to do, but something one should do!

OP
OP
knavekid

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
So you've been driving around with thag piece improperly installed like that for 5 weeks?? and just happen to notice it now??

The tech was prob in a hurry to install it. It's good practice to always double check their work. In your example, it could have been more serious if you didn't have the drivers aid..
I noticed it when my foot got stuck about two weeks in. I thought it was a shortcoming in the design and was conscious not to let my food slide to the right. As soon as I learned it was simply not assembled correctly, I fixed it. Meanwhile I was contemplating using a zip tie to hold it out of the way.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You should let the dealership know. They may or may not care but simple mistakes like that could have resulted in an accident.
Sponsored