Console Illumination kit... compared to ambient interior lighting.

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning to purchase the Interior Ambient lightning for my new Civic and also trying to decide if I want to also add the console illumination as well.

I like the subtle cast of light that the overhead blue LED and interior ambient lighting project.

How is the lighting to the console illumination look in comparison?
The pics I have seen make it appear more light a light bar. Is this so?
It is a fixed brightness or can it be varied in intensity?

Anyone that has one or both lighting kits, I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

Console Illumination Kit:
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08E16-TBA-110.html

Ambient Lighting Kit:
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08E10-TBA-100.html
Sponsored

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic

Mistahoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GS350, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Accord Touring
The console illumination as well as interior is fixed brightness. I do not own either, but I have sold both and had them installed for my customers. Jk147 is right about doing them both at the same time if you're wanting them. A lot of taking pieces apart and drilling to install. Tbh the interior illumination is just a single bulb and I'd rather go aftermarket.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
I just had both the console illumination kit and interior lighting installed. It took over four hours at the dealer. I do really like the LED stripe on the console. It is not as white as it appears in some pictures, but is a pretty blue. It was worth it. As for the footwell lighting (interior illumination), I don't know that I like it. I don't not like it, but I'm not sure that I like it. I'll have to drive around at night (just been in the garage at this point - still daylight). The location seems off-center in the footwell, so it only puts a little blue light on the driver's foot (the left side of the driver's foot well is pretty dark). Passenger side seems okay, maybe a bit off center to the right. They are a pretty blue, though, and nice and faint, for night driving. Neither one turns on unless the car's lights are on. They do NOT turn on when you get in the car (with the door lights). Honda should have programmed these to come on with the doors, so you could look at the pretty stripe as you are getting in - that is the best viewing position. I think the attached picture accurately reflects the color of the blue stripe, but the camera didn't pick up the footwell illumination.
Honda Civic 10th gen Console Illumination kit...  compared to ambient interior lighting. 24216717395_e0d0b7cb26_k

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The console illumination as well as interior is fixed brightness. I do not own either, but I have sold both and had them installed for my customers. Jk147 is right about doing them both at the same time if you're wanting them. A lot of taking pieces apart and drilling to install. Tbh the interior illumination is just a single bulb and I'd rather go aftermarket.
Just to clarify, the Honda footwell lighting kit isn't fixed brightness. It actually adjusts its brightness according to the brightness knob by the fuel gauge (not sure about the console lighting though). It's a nice touch that the footwell lighting in my 2006 Civic didn't have, though the 2006 kit included an on/off switch as well as an additional blue light where the phone cubby is.

Jesse H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Vehicle Showcase
I have both installed on my EX-T and I think they look great together. They come one with the headlights and the brightness cannot be changed, but I've found the brightness to be perfect anyway. I've got some pretty good pictures here: http://www.civicx.com/garage/my-first-car.83/. Just as a side note; the console illumination looks somewhat bright in the pictures but it doesn't shine in your eyes when driving as the portion of the center console above the light bar blocks it from your vision. It puts a smile on your face when you open the door to get in the car though :).

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have both installed on my EX-T and I think they look great together. They come one with the headlights and the brightness cannot be changed, but I've found the brightness to be perfect anyway. I've got some pretty good pictures here: http://www.civicx.com/garage/my-first-car.83/. Just as a side note; the console illumination looks somewhat bright in the pictures but it doesn't shine in your eyes when driving as the portion of the center console above the light bar blocks it from your vision. It puts a smile on your face when you open the door to get in the car though :).
@Jesse H Do you mean the console illumination brightness can't be changed? As I mentioned above, the footwell lighting should change the brightness via the brightness knob by the fuel gauge.

Jesse H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Vehicle Showcase
I stand corrected. Guess I haven't felt the need to adjust the console brightness yet so I hadn't considered that possibility. Just ran out to my car and tried it. You're correct, both interior illumination and console illumination can be adjusted with that knob.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I stand corrected. Guess I haven't felt the need to adjust the console brightness yet so I hadn't considered that possibility. Just ran out to my car and tried it. You're correct, both interior illumination and console illumination can be adjusted with that knob.
Cool, good to know they can both be adjusted this way. I probably won't need to do this very often, but it's nice to have the option, especially when driving on really dark country roads where I find the footwell lighting can be a bit too much. Now I just have to wait for my white LED bulbs for the map and dome lights to come in the mail this week to finish my interior lighting setup. :) Kinda wish I got those nice 5000K dimmable custom LED panels from exLED now, but hopefully the kit I got from Ameritree will be good enough.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2014 Honda Civic EX-L Navi
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have both of the illumination kits and they are nice. Pretty much got every accessory except for the visors, cargo net and door sill.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool, good to know they can both be adjusted this way. I probably won't need to do this very often, but it's nice to have the option, especially when driving on really dark country roads where I find the footwell lighting can be a bit too much. Now I just have to wait for my white LED bulbs for the map and dome lights to come in the mail this week to finish my interior lighting setup. :) Kinda wish I got those nice 5000K dimmable custom LED panels from exLED now, but hopefully the kit I got from Ameritree will be good enough.
If ever your interior lights don't work out the EXLed lights are really nice.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@CosmicTouring Thanks. Yeah, I discovered the exLED lights after I already ordered another kit from Amazon. As a photographer, I'm pretty picky about lighting so I hope the 6000K kit I got isn't too cold and/or too bright, but I'll see how it goes when they arrive in a couple of days.

CosmicTouring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@CosmicTouring Thanks. Yeah, I discovered the exLED lights after I already ordered another kit from Amazon. As a photographer, I'm pretty picky about lighting so I hope the 6000K kit I got isn't too cold and/or too bright, but I'll see how it goes when they arrive in a couple of days.
Just for your reference, I attached a photo of the EXLed on my car. 5000k at full brightness.

Honda Civic 10th gen Console Illumination kit...  compared to ambient interior lighting. 20160308_081116
Sponsored