Considering trading for an Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
You'd only notice that second one if you know it's there. (Or if you're a professional in a related field...)
Sponsored

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
The Si sold after 40 days on the lot. Here are photos of the damage, the mismatch after the first repair, and the second repair. Even after the second repair, the door was still slightly darker than the rest of the car. I really enjoyed this car and I miss it sometimes, but I would never have been happy with it after the damage and repairs.

View attachment 104125

View attachment 104126

View attachment 104127
That's god awful in the 1st repair, and just merely passable for the 2nd.

My driver door had to the repainted under warranty (pretty painless process really) since there was a paint run at the base of the door.
The paint match was perfect and it still looks perfect whether the car is clean or dirty

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
You'd only notice that second one if you know it's there. (Or if you're a professional in a related field...)
No, I can clearly see it, I would notice it and I am colorblind :)

Edit: Sorry, didn't see you say second picture, that is tougher

I am thinking of trading my 16 EX-t for a sport 2.0, got a good price so far, just need to get trade in price

Last edited:

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No, I can clearly see it, I would notice it and I am colorblind :)

I am thinking of trading my 16 EX-t for a sport 2.0, got a good price so far, just need to get trade in price
Don't forget to get the heated steering wheel option along with the standard heated seats!

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget to get the heated steering wheel option along with the standard heated seats!
Thought about it, but not sure I would really ever need it, my hands are never that cold...heated seats yes...didn't get the heated steering wheel in the wife's pilot either...figured its about $300 not installed, didn't want to put that much into it :)

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Thought about it, but not sure I would really ever need it, my hands are never that cold...heated seats yes...didn't get the heated steering wheel in the wife's pilot either...figured its about $300 not installed, didn't want to put that much into it :)
My first and only heated steering wheel so far is in my 2017 Ridgeline. I don't know how I ever lived without one! I'll miss it in the Accord this fall/winter, but not enough to justify tearing the front half of the interior apart to install it. I'll just drive the Ridgeline on really cold days. Plus, the button for the heated steering wheel on the Accord fills up the opening at the bottom of the steering wheel where I sometimes place my fingers.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love that feature in my fiancee's '18 CR-V

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si sold after 40 days on the lot. Here are photos of the damage, the mismatch after the first repair, and the second repair. Even after the second repair, the door was still slightly darker than the rest of the car. I really enjoyed this car and I miss it sometimes, but I was never happy with it after the damage or repairs.

damage.JPG

first repair.JPG

second repair.JPG
The 1st picture is ridiculous. The 2nd picture is much better. Neither repair appears to have included blending the paint to the rear door and fender. The 1st is so off it wouldn’t have mattered. If they had blended the adjacent panels on the 2nd, anyone outside that line of work wouldn’t see it. It’s rather obvious they replace the door skin, if not the entire door and didn’t blend. That’s unacceptable unless you authorized the shop not to in order to get a cheaper price.

And I don’t blame you...if I had to see that everyday it would have drove me nuts and I would have traded it too.

Robotaz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
This thread got me to look into the 2.0T and I have to say it sounds awesome for the price. If it has less road noise and a better interior, hands down the advantage goes to the Accord for me, too.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
The Si sold after 40 days on the lot. Here are photos of the damage, the mismatch after the first repair, and the second repair. Even after the second repair, the door was still slightly darker than the rest of the car. I really enjoyed this car and I miss it sometimes, but I was never happy with it after the damage or repairs.

damage.JPG

first repair.JPG

second repair.JPG
Thats an ugly pain job, I understand you...

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i easily noticed the mismatched paint even after the second "repair". those are some shitty body shops you have out there

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Neither repair appears to have included blending the paint to the rear door and fender. The 1st is so off it wouldn’t have mattered. If they had blended the adjacent panels on the 2nd, anyone outside that line of work wouldn’t see it. It’s rather obvious they replace the door skin, if not the entire door and didn’t blend. That’s unacceptable unless you authorized the shop not to in order to get a cheaper price.

And I don’t blame you...if I had to see that everyday it would have drove me nuts and I would have traded it too.
Like you, my first thought was that they cheated and didn't blend. The owner's son thought the same thing after I took it back and he saw it. He got a little sideways with the painter until the painter produced a camera full of photos showing the job in progress (which I saw with my own eyes as well). I'm guessing this painter has ran into issues before and documents all his work as a result...or maybe he's just really proud of what he does. The body shop did blend into the front fender and rear door both times, but the problem remained the color of the sealer below the base coat. The way it was explained to me is that the factory sealer was lighter in color than the sealer that was applied to the replacement door and it showed through the base coat.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/cons...cord-sport-2-0t-10at.23113/page-2#post-399998

https://www.civicx.com/threads/cons...cord-sport-2-0t-10at.23113/page-3#post-403336

They replaced the entire door with a genuine Honda door purchased from the local Honda dealership. It came e-coated. The body shop applied the sealer, base coat, and clear coat. The quality of the repair other than the color was outstanding - no visible paint lines, no sharp/rough edges, no overspray, no excessive orange peel, no damaged/broken trim, etc.

I've used this body shop twice before and my brother has used them as well. They're one of the largest/best body shops in the area (family-owned) and have been around as long as I can remember. Everyone that works there is very friendly, courteous, and helpful. Still, I'm hesitant to use them again.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmmm...I would NEVER use that shop again. They have no excuse for not being able to paint and blend where it’s not that noticeable. I’ve always said the body work is the easy part, it’s the paint that makes or breaks it. I’ve been an ins adjuster for 15 years and I can tell you, that’s a bad paint job.

I’ve had several Honda’s get wrecked and I always use the body shop at a Honda dealer here. They work on everything of course, but mostly Honda’s. Reason is their painter is going to be more familiar w Honda’s colors, how to tint it appropriately, the angles to spray it at, etc...it’s all in the paint.

Anyway, sorry that happened to you. That would really suck with such a new car and I can only imagine the frustration. I would have traded out of it same as you.

OP
OP
zroger73

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmm...I would NEVER use that shop again. They have no excuse for not being able to paint and blend where it’s not that noticeable. I’ve always said the body work is the easy part, it’s the paint that makes or breaks it. I’ve been an ins adjuster for 15 years and I can tell you, that’s a bad paint job.

I’ve had several Honda’s get wrecked and I always use the body shop at a Honda dealer here. They work on everything of course, but mostly Honda’s. Reason is their painter is going to be more familiar w Honda’s colors, how to tint it appropriately, the angles to spray it at, etc...it’s all in the paint.

Anyway, sorry that happened to you. That would really suck with such a new car and I can only imagine the frustration. I would have traded out of it same as you.
When I picked the car up after the first repair, my brother and I each walked around it a dozen times looking for even the smallest hint of a repair and we found absolutely nothing. It wasn't until I looked at photos I took of it the next morning that I realized there was a major problem.

After the second repair, not only did I inspect it up close, but I also stepped way back and looked at it from all angles under various lighting. It appeared to have been painted correctly this time.

It wasn't until I got home and took more photos that I realized there was still a mismatch. That was the breaking point. I was already wanting to part with the car due to its association with the act of vandalism, but the paint mismatch sent me over the edge.

The closest ProFirst-certified body shop is an hour away from me - very inconvenient and much more expensive than all the other local body shops. They also wanted to section the roof rail instead of using PDR.

For those who don't know, a ProFirst-certified body shop is one that is trained specifically to work on Hondas using Honda-required tools and techniques. http://owners.honda.com/collision/about/?section=section-intro#bodyshop

The irony in all this was one of the reasons I chose a solid paint (Rallye Red) instead of a metallic or pearl paint was the thought that it might be easier to match if it never needed paint work. Wrong! :)

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I picked the car up after the first repair, my brother and I each walked around it a dozen times looking for even the smallest hint of a repair and we found absolutely nothing. It wasn't until I looked at photos I took of it the next morning that I realized there was a major problem.

After the second repair, not only did I inspect it up close, but I also stepped way back and looked at it from all angles under various lighting. It appeared to have been painted correctly this time.

It wasn't until I got home and took more photos that I realized there was still a mismatch. That was the breaking point. I was already wanting to part with the car due to its association with the act of vandalism, but the paint mismatch sent me over the edge.

The closest ProFirst-certified body shop is an hour away from me - very inconvenient and much more expensive than all the other local body shops. They also wanted to section the roof rail instead of using PDR.

For those who don't know, a ProFirst-certified body shop is one that is trained specifically to work on Hondas using Honda-required tools and techniques. http://owners.honda.com/collision/about/?section=section-intro#bodyshop

The irony in all this was one of the reasons I chose a solid paint (Rallye Red) instead of a metallic or pearl paint was the thought that it might be easier to match if it never needed paint work. Wrong! :)
Well, went in the other day going to buy an Accord....solid price going in, got to my trade...they started off offering way too low, went up another $1k, it was still below the poor condition trade in...I had a set price I wasn't budging, they tried their sales tactics and what not, so I left....another dealer was higher by $1500, but still way below clean trade in, below average trade in too, so I still have the civic...personally not upset, I love my civic and if I don't get an Accord, then it's not meant to be....the thing takes off like a rocket, very nice car, may check out the EXL 2.0 too for a little smoother ride. Also, did KBB instant trade in offer and said trade in was about $200 below what I wanted, but about $800 above best offer....dealers don't seem to care tho
Sponsored