Considering swapping for an Si but there's 1 problem

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm looking into swapping my 2016 Civic Touring for a 2018 Si sedan soon but there's one snag. Ive never driven a car with a manual transmission in my life. I keep reading that they're super easy to learn, but are they easy enough to the point where I can have a salesman at the dealership show me how it's done during a test drive? Or would I need to take some lessons first? Just looking for some opinions
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm looking into swapping my 2016 Civic Touring for a 2018 Si sedan soon but there's one snag. Ive never driven a car with a manual transmission in my life. I keep reading that they're super easy to learn, but are they easy enough to the point where I can have a salesman at the dealership show me how it's done during a test drive? Or would I need to take some lessons first? Just looking for some opinions
Talk to a salesman. I've heard of them teaching people before. They may have a used car they don't mind you learning on. :)

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
learn to drive a manual from a 20 minute lesson by a slimy ass salesman just looking to sell you something? probably not. but it depends on the person learning. if you have a higher intellect--an easy ability to learn new things quickly, you might be able to do it. some ppl can learn the basics, and just enough to drive it to point b, within an hour, and some ppl take 2 weeks of teaching before theyre comfortable driving on their own..

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
oh, and either way just get the si, its a much more exciting experience to drive than the current slug that youre in. you wont regret it dude.

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to call up a driving school. Even if I was able to pick it up quickly, I can get really bad anxiety when driving in uncomfortable situations so it would probably negate any ability to learn it fast. It sucks cause I don't know anyone other than my mom who can teach me to drive stick and I live 600km away from her.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
do you live far from the stealership that you would be purchasing it from? if you live close enough your salesman would probably be willing to drive it to your home for you after the sale. theyd agree to almost anything just to make the sale (except lowering the price to any reasonable number lol).

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Having listened to CarTalk for years and taught my daughter to drive stick, I'd recommend just that: list/read the car guys advice and see if it makes sense.
https://www.cartalk.com/content/learn-drive-stick-3

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda really dumbed down this manual with the rev hang and delay valve in the clutch cylinder... You'll be fine with a 2min test drive

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
do you live far from the stealership that you would be purchasing it from? if you live close enough your salesman would probably be willing to drive it to your home for you after the sale. theyd agree to almost anything just to make the sale (except lowering the price to any reasonable number lol).
The dealer is in town so it's not far at all. Would it be a good idea to learn on a brand new car? Wouldn't want to destroy my clutch just figuring out how to drive the thing

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda really dumbed down this manual with the rev hang and delay valve in the clutch cylinder... You'll be fine with a 2min test drive
I can pick up certain things pretty fast but I'm not sure I can learn to drive a manual in 2 minutes, lmao. Unless it really is that easy

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
The dealer is in town so it's not far at all. Would it be a good idea to learn on a brand new car? Wouldn't want to destroy my clutch just figuring out how to drive the thing
well its not the ideal situation, but it can be done without burning out the clutch. you just have to have patience. just watch the hundreds of "how to drive manual transmission car" videos on youtube while your driving/learning.

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well its not the ideal situation, but it can be done without burning out the clutch. you just have to have patience. just watch the hundreds of "how to drive manual transmission car" videos on youtube while your driving/learning.
Definitely been watching a ton of videos. And I have a buddy back home where I'm from who drives an Sti so I've been texting the shit out of him the last few days lol. I'll figure it out. I think I'm leaning on dropping some money on a couple hours with a driving instructor to teach me the basics. As much as I dont want to, I want to be able to get into my new car knowing how to drive it

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Definitely been watching a ton of videos. And I have a buddy back home where I'm from who drives an Sti so I've been texting the shit out of him the last few days lol. I'll figure it out. I think I'm leaning on dropping some money on a couple hours with a driving instructor to teach me the basics. As much as I dont want to, I want to be able to get into my new car knowing how to drive it
I definitely understand man. that may be the best option for you--getting real time experience before picking up your si. what color are you gonna get your si in?

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
if you have a friend with a manual, see if they will teach you. just treat them to some pizza and beer. and have a friend as a passenger when you pick up the car. you'll learn best by just driving your new car

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I learned to drive a manual transmission when I bought a car 30 miles from home. Of course that car wasn't new. It had 5 years and 70k miles on it. Other than a few jerky starts (and trying to start off in 3rd when I thought i was in 1st) it went well.
Sponsored