Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
  • Banned
hello all,

I just placed my order on K-Tuner 1.2 with Phearable 1.5 tune. I've owned my 2017 SI for about a month and everything is about bare bones. I am saving up for a big turbo kit (comes with a clutch/flywheel) it's the one from PRL with the 2860R Gen 2 turbo. My goal is to achieve 400+ HP to the wheel. My problem is that buying a built motor with stronger pistons and rods is too expensive for me and I probably would have to buy a new fuel pump. Most people with tuned SI's up to 300+ WHP have blown motors here due to being power hungry or a bad tune/no tune (blown head gasket or rods/pistons are bent from what i see on this forum). In the long run, I do not want this happening. Would anyone suggest that I get an oil cooler, a bigger radiator from Koyo and an intercooler to keep the internals from expanding and cracking/breaking?

thank you all.
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Sirimoto oil cooler. For the intercooler, you can choose from (PRL, Mishimoto, 27Won).

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
hello all,

I just placed my order on K-Tuner 1.2 with Phearable 1.5 tune. I've owned my 2017 SI for about a month and everything is about bare bones. I am saving up for a big turbo kit (comes with a clutch/flywheel) it's the one from PRL with the 2860R Gen 2 turbo. My goal is to achieve 400+ HP to the wheel. My problem is that buying a built motor with stronger pistons and rods is too expensive for me and I probably would have to buy a new fuel pump. Most people with tuned SI's up to 300+ WHP have blown motors here due to being power hungry or a bad tune/no tune (blown head gasket or rods/pistons are bent from what i see on this forum). In the long run, I do not want this happening. Would anyone suggest that I get an oil cooler, a bigger radiator from Koyo and an intercooler to keep the internals from expanding and cracking/breaking?

thank you all.
None of those mods are going to really lessen your chances of breaking something when running that much power.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The si motor is good up to about 390whp before you NEED to start thinking about internals. I’m making 362whp 310wtq and trust me, that’s more than enough power. It’s barely usable on the street.

I suggest feeling the car out with bolt ons and a tune. Radiator and oil cooler won’t help much unless you track the car a lot. You will also be reaching the limit of the fuel system closer to the 400 mark.

OP
OP

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
The si motor is good up to about 390whp before you NEED to start thinking about internals. I’m making 362whp 310wtq and trust me, that’s more than enough power. It’s barely usable on the street.

I suggest feeling the car out with bolt ons and a tune. Radiator and oil cooler won’t help much unless you track the car a lot. You will also be reaching the limit of the fuel system closer to the 400 mark.

i might do a conservative tune and not push it until i have money for a built L15B7 motor with stronger rods and piston saved up if that does not work, but i am just assuming it would be cost efficient to get an oil cooler and bigger radiator to keep internals from cracking or bending with the amount of heat applied

OP
OP

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
None of those mods are going to really lessen your chances of breaking something when running that much power.

maybe if i drive the car on high boost settings on the daily, it could potentially break. However, after the turbo kit i'll put money aside for another built motor. At least with that I can chase numbers with it

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
maybe if i drive the car on high boost settings on the daily, it could potentially break. However, after the turbo kit i'll put money aside for another built motor. At least with that I can chase numbers with it
I believe radiator and air cooler are more for track, doing pulls on the highway should give you plenty of air flow once you let off throttle and cruise back to normal speeds. if you live in a hot climate and plan on pushing your car back to back without a chance to cool down then yea go for the cooler and rad. If you stick to a goal closer to 350 you won’t need a built motor if you’re being tuned by someone like drob who really knows this platform. I’ve seen tons of PRL 2860s and w1s on stock internals being tuned by drob with 330-350whp. Also out of curiosity what are yours plans for the car 1/4 mile track? Mexico highway runs?

OP
OP

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
I believe radiator and air cooler are more for track, doing pulls on the highway should give you plenty of air flow once you let off throttle and cruise back to normal speeds. if you live in a hot climate and plan on pushing your car back to back without a chance to cool down then yea go for the cooler and rad. If you stick to a goal closer to 350 you won’t need a built motor if you’re being tuned by someone like drob who really knows this platform. I’ve seen tons of PRL 2860s and w1s on stock internals being tuned by drob with 330-350whp. Also out of curiosity what are yours plans for the car 1/4 mile track? Mexico highway runs?
yeah i live in an area that's 100+ during the summers. Also, I may go to the track but mostly mexico runs
Sponsored