First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
Nice forum you guys got here.

I’m looking to pick up a new Civic sedan, preferably 6m.
I’m torn between the SI or the 2.0 sedan but leaning towards SI

For standard parent / errand driving duties, are the SI goodies worth the extra 3.5k? Guessing the extra 50hp is a hoot with the lsd.

Have they figured out the oil dilution on the 1.5?

Any major insurance hike with SI?
Sponsored

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
As you are willing to go manual, SI no question.

Why? That extra 3.5K is a steal for what you get (LSD, bigger brakes, adaptive suspension, semi bucket seats, more power, etc).

Also, manuals are a tough sell to anyone that isn't a driving enthusiast. if you are going with the enthusiast transmission option, get an enthusiast's model.

All IMO

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Nice forum you guys got here.

I’m looking to pick up a new Civic sedan, preferably 6m.
I’m torn between the SI or the 2.0 sedan but leaning towards SI

For standard parent / errand driving duties, are the SI goodies worth the extra 3.5k? Guessing the extra 50hp is a hoot with the lsd.

Have they figured out the oil dilution on the 1.5?

Any major insurance hike with SI?
My Si insurance is about the same as the Sport hatch, but mine didn't have Sensing so that could be a factor.

Definitely worth it imo, you get so much for a little money. Resale might be better too.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As you are willing to go manual, SI no question.

Why? That extra 3.5K is a steal for what you get (LSD, bigger brakes, adaptive suspension, semi bucket seats, more power, etc).

Also, manuals are a tough sell to anyone that isn't a driving enthusiast. if you are going with the enthusiast transmission option, get an enthusiast's model.

All IMO
I wouldn't worry about resale on the 6MT Sport, I got a great trade in for my 6MT Sport hatch, like $2k over KBB. I think manuals are rare and popular on the used car market. Si would be even better though.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about resale on the 6MT Sport, I got a great trade in for my 6MT Sport hatch, like $2k over KBB. I think manuals are rare and popular on the used car market. Si would be even better though.
Without knowing the specifics of the sales contract, a given trade in value is pretty useless.

Also, I could see decent resale on a manual hatch as some people just prefer its looks.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
I've got no regrets in getting an SI. Insurance is relatively low, the handling is great (LSD is a nice thing to have), and is a great commuter. I only drive around 20k miles a year, but haven't had any second thoughts since buying mine.

Cxavi094

First Name
Kobe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Lx 6 speed( SOLD), 2018 Honda Civic Touring, 2020 Honda Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I just traded in my 2016 Civic LX 6 speed for a 2020 Civic Si coupe. Test drove every car in the class before buying the Si. The Si is worth the extra price. Gas mileage is almost identical compared to my LX 2.0.

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Couple Energy Green
Country flag
Your real comparo should be between the 6MT L15 base sedan and the Si. The 2.0L is a budget engine for people who need the absolute cheapest Civic on the lot and people afraid of the 21st century.
You had me on the first point. However, people afraid of the 21st Century? LOL! How about folks who prefer non turbo N/A engines that have fewer moving parts and therefore, may last a lot longer. (Do not know for sure since I have not heard of any of the 1.5T's at 300K miles or more, yet.) Always go with the 6MT, that is the best idea.

Edit: Oh, and absolute cheapest Civic? From what I have seen, the 2.0 is not just a cheap alternative, I think.

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I covered that with afraid of the 21st century :p

Consider this: in your hypothetical where the turbo blows up at 300K, that has been 300k miles of 2 MPG less rated, (the 1.5L does a lot better in real world than rated, but we'll stick with that) 300k miles of less response, 300k miles of slower, and 300k miles of a worse driving experience. You will spend A LOT of money driving that 2.0L for 300k miles vs a 1.5L.

Don't believe me? Here's math:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(300,000+miles+/+32+miles/gallon+-+300,000+miles+/+35+miles/gallon)+*+price+of+gas

That money you save driving the 1.5L buys a whole lot of replacement turbos, which have so far been reliability champs despite people like you claiming there to be hidden boogeymen. If your argument is "there's less to break and I'll save money" then you should also get the CVT to save money. That nets a 3-4 MPG gain which does huge things for total cost of ownership.
I make no claim that there is a hidden boogeyman, we simply have no proof yet that they are a long term reliable engine yet. Oh, and 87 Octane for the 2.0 vs 91 Octane or above for the 1.5T. Also, why would I ever want a CVT, when I prefer the 6MT? That is also what the OP wants, as well.

I think they we need to give all the information to make a properly informed decision. Oh, and here it is in the summer, with high temps as normal, and I can still smell fuel on startup on my 2018 Civic Si and therefore, it is not just a cold winter thing. :( And I have gotten up to 45mpg on the highway when going for a very long, non stop ride.

ManofGod1000

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The rest of your post is well written, but this is incorrect:

LX, EX and Touring 1.5Ts require 87 octane and do not run better on 91. Sport and Sport Touring require 87 but have maps to take advantage of 91. Si is designed for 91 but can be run on 87, but the car will SIGNIFICANTLY pull timing and there WILL be knock.
Right but, I am referring to the 2.0L in the Civic Sport, that only needs 87 Octane. I think the OP would be happy with either car, to be honest.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Without knowing the specifics of the sales contract, a given trade in value is pretty useless.

Also, I could see decent resale on a manual hatch as some people just prefer its looks.
Carmax offer, no sale involved. Dealer offered $2k less lol.

OP
OP

Wickedsprint

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
Thank you all who took time to respond. While a 2.0 would absolutely suffice, I think I’d get more enjoyment out of the SI. I enjoy taking corners and it seems to have some useful upgrades, lsd/brakes etc.
I enjoy having a sunroof too.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
The decision is very simple. Ditch the 2.0, and get and SI. If you go the other route, ur gonna regret it

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The 2.0 is a nice little entry level setup. It's solid but not quick at all. It's handing capabilities are on par or better than most similar cars out there.

The Si has tons of torque and some turbo excitement. It's handling capabilities are outstanding. It has LSD. 18" versus 16" wheels. LED headlights.

It's apples to oranges. Entry level versus Sport Injected.
Sponsored