Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Arnoldo, keep this potential scenario in mind. You upgrade the rods and at some point have it tuned for increased power. And your new rods handle it beautifully. But unfortunately, your CVT goes.

My point being, you can worry to the 'enth degree or just enjoy the ride. If I was you, I'd go with your original plan and upgrade your tires and rear sway to start. You don't seem to be someone who abuses your car so odds are your engine will be fine. I still believe most cars with issues were tuned for too much power or abused/misused in some way.
Sponsored

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I checked pricing online and interestingly SI/CR-V/Accord connecting rod cost lesser than Civic 1.5T connecting rod. It is interesting because SI/CR-V/Accord connecting rod has higher hardness measurement and should be more durable than Civic 1.5T connecting rod.

While I was there, I also checked turbocharger assembly pricing. I found Civic 1.5T turbocharger assembly cost more than SI/CR-V turbocharger. I didn't check Accord turbocharger assembly cost.

If Civic 1.5T parts were inferior compare to the SI/CR-V/Accord counterpart, I wonder why Civic 1.5T internal costs higher.

Since I have a '19 CRV (L15BY) and I went through the part numbers multiple times, I can tell you that the 2019 CRV has the SAME connecting rods as the civic non-Si. The pistons are identical to the Si BUT the connecting rods (as well as the clutch and flywheel for those with manual transmission) are identical to the civic hatchback non-Si. Before you buy anything, make sure you buy the correct part number. Si rods are the ones you need, not CRV unless in your country, the engine spec was the same as the 2017-2018 USDM CRV, which indeed had identical rods to the Si. I am fairly certain that Honda downgraded the CRV engine for the 2020 model in the USA as well. They probably considered it "overbuilt".

OP
OP
arnoldo

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Arnoldo, keep this potential scenario in mind. You upgrade the rods and at some point have it tuned for increased power. And your new rods handle it beautifully. But unfortunately, your CVT goes.

My point being, you can worry to the 'enth degree or just enjoy the ride. If I was you, I'd go with your original plan and upgrade your tires and rear sway to start. You don't seem to be someone who abuses your car so odds are your engine will be fine. I still believe most cars with issues were tuned for too much power or abused/misused in some way.
You’re right. Like you, I just want to tune my car to better suit my preference, while maintaining reliability. It already does & I’m not pursuing for more power.

I just need to get more information to digest to conclude that the tuners provide incomplete information intentionally to gain profit. I was speaking with 3 tuners & only 1 got back with a reasonable information.

Since I have a '19 CRV (L15BY) and I went through the part numbers multiple times, I can tell you that the 2019 CRV has the SAME connecting rods as the civic non-Si. The pistons are identical to the Si BUT the connecting rods (as well as the clutch and flywheel for those with manual transmission) are identical to the civic hatchback non-Si. Before you buy anything, make sure you buy the correct part number. Si rods are the ones you need, not CRV unless in your country, the engine spec was the same as the 2017-2018 USDM CRV, which indeed had identical rods to the Si. I am fairly certain that Honda downgraded the CRV engine for the 2020 model in the USA as well. They probably considered it "overbuilt".
Thank you for the information. I will check part numbers and match the part number
Sponsored

Last edited: