Confused about washing car with foam gun

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So recently I bought a foam cannon for my pressure washer and a foam blaster for my regular garden hose. I've always used the traditional 2 bucket method so I'm a bit confused about what steps to take when washing using a foam gun.

After I cover the car in suds, am I supposed to rinse them off before wiping down the car with the wash mitt? Or do I leave them on the car, wipe down the entire car with the mitt, then rinse everything off?
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
People certainly use them different ways but I used my foam gun only as a pre-rinse. Spray the suds on, let them sit a minute, rinse off with highest (safe) pressure available. Standard two bucket from there.

Tyler

Drive Clean!
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX, 2005 BMW M3, 2008 BMW 335i, 2003 Jetta TDI
Country flag
How anal do you want to be? You could follow this if you want the safest wash:

RINSE > FOAM > RINSE > FOAM > 2-BUCKET WASH

Many believe that the foam will lift and encapsulate dirt.... which it will to an extend - but the reason you pre-rinse with higher pressure is so that you get rid of any of those loose particulates that are stuck to the surface. The foam provides an additional means of lubrication, so that as your wash media crosses the surface and contaminants are lifted - at that point they get lifted and trapped in that additional foam.

OP
OP
Touring

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How anal do you want to be? You could follow this if you want the safest wash:

RINSE > FOAM > RINSE > FOAM > 2-BUCKET WASH

Many believe that the foam will lift and encapsulate dirt.... which it will to an extend - but the reason you pre-rinse with higher pressure is so that you get rid of any of those loose particulates that are stuck to the surface. The foam provides an additional means of lubrication, so that as your wash media crosses the surface and contaminants are lifted - at that point they get lifted and trapped in that additional foam.
My paint is black, so I'll probably start using that method just to be safe. Even if it costs me the extra soap

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Before my pressure washer broke I would rinse, foam, rinse again then foam it and wipe the whole car down then rinse and dry.

If I do rinse > foam > wipe and then dry I could do the whole car in about 10-15 minutes. Works so much better than the touch less washers around here

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Water rinse > foam > rinse > foam > hand wash. If I'm busy I just do rinse > foam > rinse.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
I use a pressure washer so it's a little bit different but I do:
  • Foam
  • Let it sit and soak the dirt
  • Rinse
  • Hand Wash
  • Rinse
  • Dry

relentlessX

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
My routine is also different.

I start with a good wash, clay, polish and sealant.

Then every few days, I do a once over with a California duster and wipe down with a detailer.

When I start to notice some heavy dirt, which is probably every 3 weeks or so, then I do a touchless wash with a foam cannon, soak, pressure wash, dry with a Worx blower, and mist/wipe down with Duragloss AquaWax.

Then I repeat the wash, clay, polish and sealant every 6 months.

Last edited:

maskale

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
what foam cannon yall using, seen mixed reviews on so many.

I have a small electric and a 4000psi gas pressure washer, but prefer to use the electric, just so much easier.

relentlessX

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
what foam cannon yall using, seen mixed reviews on so many.

I have a small electric and a 4000psi gas pressure washer, but prefer to use the electric, just so much easier.
I used to have a Chemical Guys Torq Foam cannon but I had an issue with the rubber o'ring. My friend got the MATCC one and his looked identical to mine but with a different bottle design. I ended up returning my Torq cannon and got the MATCC. As far as performance, I cant tell the difference between the two.

philharmonik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Country flag
I used to have a Chemical Guys Torq Foam cannon but I had an issue with the rubber o'ring. My friend got the MATCC one and his looked identical to mine but with a different bottle design. I ended up returning my Torq cannon and got the MATCC. As far as performance, I cant tell the difference between the two.
I have the MATCC as well and have used it five times so far. Haven't had any issues at all, and its much cheaper!

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Too hard core for me.

Not sure if it's lazy or just not anal about a little swirl marks.

I don't even bother with the whole two bucket system. Sometimes I just use California Duster or use my Meguiar's Quick Detailer and microfiber.

Don't get me wrong, I never use Cloth car wash.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Too hard core for me.

I don't even bother with the whole two bucket system. Sometimes I just use California Duster or use my Meguiar's Quick Detailer and microfiber.

Eh you have a white car can't really see swirls if there even is any. But on black cars if you get swirls... Its looks horrific in the sun, imo.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Too hard core for me.

You are fine with using a California duster but you draw the line at cloth car wash? That duster will scratched up your paint real good
Sponsored